Clyde Season 23/24

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

- Currie -

- Cuddihy - Cogill - Lang - McNiff - 

- Rankin - McStay - Grant -

- Syvertsen - Goodwillie - Banks -

Not sure if we ever managed to get that exact 11 on the park but what a team btw!

Having looked at line ups since Banks joined you'll not be surprised to know that you're correct, in terms of that 11 starting anyway. Would need to have a closer look again to see if they were ever all on the pitch at the one time after subs but with Rumsby pretty much being an ever present, Lamont also a regular, Love having plenty of impact off the bench and the occasional stiffy for throwing Kevin Nicoll/Kieran Duffie on I'd say unlikely.

The closest that 11 came to starting was actually the game that won promotion. Rumsby for Cogill and Lamont for an injured Rankin were the only changes. Some of Lennons decisions were questionable but starting Banks in that final was an excellent one and perhaps an indication that he could've been trusted from the off more often previously.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, CM. said:

Having looked at line ups since Banks joined you'll not be surprised to know that you're correct, in terms of that 11 starting anyway. Would need to have a closer look again to see if they were ever all on the pitch at the one time after subs but with Rumsby pretty much being an ever present, Lamont also a regular, Love having plenty of impact off the bench and the occasional stiffy for throwing Kevin Nicoll/Kieran Duffie on I'd say unlikely.

The closest that 11 came to starting was actually the game that won promotion. Rumsby for Cogill and Lamont for an injured Rankin were the only changes. Some of Lennons decisions were questionable but starting Banks in that final was an excellent one and perhaps an indication that he could've been trusted from the off more often previously.

Banks was outstanding and should’ve played more from when he first joined us. Signing for Palace and then being loaned to St. Pauli in Bundesliga 2 tells you the ability he has.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

1 hour ago, dave_binos said:

Spoke to him a couple of times. Loved his time at Clyde.

Chuffed to hear that. He's a good guy who did his best with us and gave us a few good years in what has been pushing two decades of guff now. He simply had to go but I'm glad he still looks back on his time at the club fondly.

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

I thought we, latterly, had "a recruitment team".  We still signed absolute warmers.

The recruitment team would put forward players to look at Danny wouldn't listen, missed out on a young Joe Bevan, Scott Cunningham and Aaron Healy were put forward to him and aswell before they went to QP.

Never forget Danny Lennon signed amongst many others,

Owen Andrews

Euan Deveney

Gary Maley

Billy Mortimer

Lloyd Robertson

Kevin Nicholl

And most famously Robert Jones.

Danny Lennon should've been sacked long before the Clydebank debacle.

He got away with woeful performances and team selection as he was was a "great guy"

3 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Owen Andrews

Euan Deveney

Gary Maley

Billy Mortimer

Lloyd Robertson

Kevin Nicholl

He got away with woeful performances and team selection as he was was a "great guy"

He’d built up a bit of credit in the bank with the promotion and kept us in league 1 for 2 seasons, think there was a bit more to it than being a sound bloke. 

He was a second half manager. First half he would set up wrong and we would be behind. Second half, he was good enough to make adjustments and we would come back and either draw or win a lot of the time. Exciting at first, grinding after a while. Every now and then it's good to be able to put the game to bed by half time and have a comfortable second half. We nearly had that this year v Bonnyrigg until Mr renewed contract Lyon said "winning by three? hold my kwenchy kup".

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Owen Andrews

Euan Deveney

Gary Maley

Billy Mortimer

Lloyd Robertson

Kevin Nicholl

I have no recollection of Gary Maley or Lloyd Robertson. Our turnover of players over the past 15 years has been criminal.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

21 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

What's Danny Lennon like as a manager? Would he be a good fit for Stirling?

I really have a lot of time for Danny Lennon despite staying with us well after his time was clearly up ( this is on the board not him). 

His recruitment of players was absolutely atrocious at times make no mistake about it and this will always be his downfall in my opinion. I feel he is absolutely at a point in his career where he would make a really really good assistant manager for someone especially a new/young coach higher up the pyramid. As has been stated above he had a recruitment team to work with but refused to take on players that they would recommend to him and adamant he could find his own players which really hurt him I feel. He brought in some really good players in his time- Rankin, Lang, Grant, McStay but when they left he just couldn’t replace them and also brought in countless duds, some of which would probably feature in an all time worst Clyde team of the past 25 years. 

We should have won the league the season we got promoted ( and maybe would have if it wasn’t for the Fitzpatrick mistakes). That season and team are and enjoyable a time as iv had supporting Clyde. We played nice stuff, things were looking good off the park there was a real feel good factor. The bubble really burst shortly after that. We never kicked on in league 1 and there’s a few reasons for that probably the most of which was we allegedly had 1/3 of our playing budget in him, Goodwillie and Mitchell then picking up a squad with the leftovers. He also was a very very loyal guy and kept players on well after they should have- Nicoll, Rumsby, Mcniff- who just weren’t cut out for league 1 which just didn’t help things. 

He done a very interesting interview on a state of mind podcast which I feel sums up his management when he was with Clyde which was very  “kids today”. He spoke about the usual stuff in that genre like bringing back national service and how kids would rather text than phone and how that annoyed him. The most telling part was when he spoke about how players should be happy to play and he doesn’t like when he says that a boy is playing at right back and he says “ I’m not a right back”. That summed it all up, just guys being played out of position but putting in as hard a shift as they could. Really felt that in his recruitment also where he would sign guys who who had a good attitude and would work hard that he would try and mold rather than guys with the ability and experience to take us to where we need to be. 

I know all this makes him sound really negative but I can’t emphasise enough how much I really really enjoyed the majority of his time at the club he just hung about too long, the games were fun under him especially against Falkirk in league 1. I think he would do a decent job at Stirling, he would certainly unite the fans which is what you need after a relegation and among back room nonsense. 

22 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Did Lennon mainly recruit from the lower leagues then? Or was it youngsters released from bigger teams mainly?

Did he recruit any decent players to balance out the poor ones?

He signed a ton of boys from Gretna 2008, Camelon, St Andrews a futsal player from Norway but also brought in guys from Huddersfield and St Mirren on loan as well as players from teams around us. The season we got promoted to league 1 he brought in Tony Wallace and Chris Johnston from Annan, David Mitchell from Falkirk and Darren Smith from yourselves, alongside Craig Howie from EK and Liam Allison from East Stirling

37 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I have no recollection of Gary Maley or Lloyd Robertson. Our turnover of players over the past 15 years has been criminal.

Gary Maley was signed on an emergency loan as both keepers were injured.

Whilst not disagreeing with the overall point, it's unduly harsh to include him in that list.

13 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Anyone bought a retro top in the past year? If so what’s the sizing on them like? 

I find them not too bad. Certainly a lot kinder fitting than last season’s home kit for instance which I find a bit ‘figure hugging’. Your usual size would probably be fine depending on how you like your top to fit!

1 hour ago, David W said:

Gary Maley was signed on an emergency loan as both keepers were injured.

Whilst not disagreeing with the overall point, it's unduly harsh to include him in that list.

That'll be why I can't remember him then. Couldn't have been with us for very long.

16 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

- Currie -

- Cuddihy - Cogill - Lang - McNiff - 

- Rankin - McStay - Grant -

- Syvertsen - Goodwillie - Banks -

Not sure if we ever managed to get that exact 11 on the park but what a team btw!

That was a great team....very few of which Danny recruited.