Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

I can believe that, as the website did say that an exciting summer lies ahead! 

Eoghan stokes is currently out of the country teaching Erling Haaland how to be an elite player.

© E. Stokes

1 hour ago, par-adise said:

Was Frizzell full time with you? Would imagine he has a few clubs sniffing around him if he's out of contract. 

Unless I've got my wires crossed he's linked into consillium, which increases the chances of him staying. Possibly wishful thinking on my part

19 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Why is that? Out of interest. 

McCabe has a link with Jackie McNamara who is the gaffer of this agency and seem to have a lot of players through him.

8 minutes ago, Smurph said:

What is the consensus on Ben Stanway? I’d imagine he’ll be in and around our team now instead of looking to loan him out again.

Not sure what others will say but for me he'd be a squad option at best at this level. He didn't get a regular game for us at the top end of L1 and don't think Rhys would have trusted him for the big occasions. Having said that he was quite decent at points when he played. Think he needs a really consistent run in a team to kick on and can't see him getting that with you this season.

15 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

A few on our thread has said Smith has signed with us this morning if it is true we would’ve likely if offered either a better financial package or a longer contract (3 years most likely) 

Out of all our better players he's probably the least fussed I'd be about leaving. Don't get me wrong, I'd have liked him to have stayed, but he's had long spells in the last 2 seasons where he doesn't produce much. Tends to perform in short bursts rather than consistently over the season. As an example he scored 5 goals in 4 games at the turn of the year, then scored 2 in the next 15.

I've said before I actually think a move would be good for him. He's never been under any pressure for his place at Airdrie so has been allowed long spells in the team where he isn't performing. I think a new club with competition for places will probably do him good (assuming he rises to the challenge and doesn't just end up on the bench!).

Good luck to him if he's away, always gives 100%, helped us get up this year and his hat-trick against Montrose last season will always be legendary. He's still a good age and I think has lots of improvement in him. He's still very one-dimensional (run up the line, cut inside and shoot) and if he can add more to his game will become a really good player.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Out of all our better players he's probably the least fussed I'd be about leaving. Don't get me wrong, I'd have liked him to have stayed, but he's had long spells in the last 2 seasons where he doesn't produce much. Tends to perform in short bursts rather than consistently over the season. As an example he scored 5 goals in 4 games at the turn of the year, then scored 2 in the next 15.

I've said before I actually think a move would be good for him. He's never been under any pressure for his place at Airdrie so has been allowed long spells in the team where he isn't performing. I think a new club with competition for places will probably do him good (assuming he rises to the challenge and doesn't just end up on the bench!).

Good luck to him if he's away, always gives 100%, helped us get up this year and his hat-trick against Montrose last season will always be legendary. He's still a good age and I think has lots of improvement in him. He's still very one-dimensional (run up the line, cut inside and shoot) and if he can add more to his game will become a really good player.

Murray likes his old players,never confinced about Smith apart from a few games,he was the same first spell with us,promises so much but usually no end product, needed the gal to show him how to score .

I know his numbers were similar to last season (maybe a couple of goals/assists less) however I thought he regressed this year. He went through spells of being hopeless in the final third this season imo. However he also works relentlessly hard and offered a lot of work going back the way so was too valuable in that regard to drop.

That all being said,  I absolutely love him for what he’s done across his time at Airdrie and I’d much prefer to keep him rather than not. Will be sad to see him go if the rumour is true.

49 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

A few on our thread has said Smith has signed with us this morning if it is true we would’ve likely if offered either a better financial package or a longer contract (3 years most likely) 

I think if he has gone you would have been the most likely destination within the division. I believe he has a good relationship with Murray.