Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

I think Smith will be a hard one to replace - he didn't have as a good a season as previous but the goal against Accies is typical of what he can offer and not many players are capable of it (perhaps his brother would be a great replacement).  But perhaps the O'Connor signing was made in the knowledge he was leaving so maybe it will work out and there are always going to be one or two players who will move on.  I suppose what disappoints me most is that I'd hoped that we were getting back to a level as a club where we no longer lose players to clubs like Raith. That's not dis-respecting them as they have been a bigger more successful club for the majority of the last 20 years but I do hope we can get back to being an established Championship club and that means being better able to compete and hold onto players.   I felt we finished last season with a stronger team than the previous year and really want to hold on to the majority of the squad.  If we keep McGill and Frizzell we are doing ok.   Need to ensure we have a full squad by time the season starts - last year we were too slow off the mark.

52 minutes ago, CJB said:

I suppose what disappoints me most is that I'd hoped that we were getting back to a level as a club where we no longer lose players to clubs like Raith.

Raith have just had a takeover. Ayr also lost a player to Raith in Josh Mullin. Ayr are an established Championship club. Plus I believe Smith lives in Kirkcaldy or just outside. So all that to take into consideration too. There’s no need to be concerned, as I trust we’ll make some very good signings of our own! ♦️

20 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Raith have just had a takeover. Ayr also lost a player to Raith in Josh Mullin. Ayr are an established Championship club. Plus I believe Smith lives in Kirkcaldy or just outside. So all that to take into consideration too. There’s no need to be concerned, as I trust we’ll make some very good signings of our own! ♦️

Smith lives in Cowdenbeath so not too far from Kirkcaldy and it makes sense why he would pick us over resigning with Airdrie because of a young family, closer to home, closer for his family to get to games etc and no doubt we most likely offered more than what Airdrie could 

8 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Smith lives in Cowdenbeath so not too far from Kirkcaldy and it makes sense why he would pick us over resigning with Airdrie because of a young family, closer to home, closer for his family to get to games etc and no doubt we most likely offered more than what Airdrie could 

The saving on petrol every day would come into consideration too. Even if both clubs offered the same wage, things like that can play a major factor. As it must cost £50+ a week on petrol driving from Kirkcaldy to Airdrie 4-5 days a week. £200 a month saving right away!

1 hour ago, CJB said:

I think Smith will be a hard one to replace - he didn't have as a good a season as previous but the goal against Accies is typical of what he can offer and not many players are capable of it (perhaps his brother would be a great replacement).  But perhaps the O'Connor signing was made in the knowledge he was leaving so maybe it will work out and there are always going to be one or two players who will move on.  I suppose what disappoints me most is that I'd hoped that we were getting back to a level as a club where we no longer lose players to clubs like Raith. That's not dis-respecting them as they have been a bigger more successful club for the majority of the last 20 years but I do hope we can get back to being an established Championship club and that means being better able to compete and hold onto players.   I felt we finished last season with a stronger team than the previous year and really want to hold on to the majority of the squad.  If we keep McGill and Frizzell we are doing ok.   Need to ensure we have a full squad by time the season starts - last year we were too slow off the mark.

I get what you're saying, but Raith are a far more established club at this level, that added to their investment means we are still a way off matching them. In Smith's case, the added factors like being local mean it's a no brainer really.

It's hard to really gauge where we are with signings because we've not really signed anyone of note for 2 years now. Telfer and ATS were really the only established names that we brought in last season and they'd both been released by a League 1 side who finished 6th. The fact we signed them well into the season suggests they were hardly in high demand either. I guess Ballantyne too, although he was signed at some point the previous season. The rest have all been loans, trialists and random duds like Riley. It's hard to know what market we're really shopping in.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

8 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's hard to know what market we're really shopping in.

And this for me, will be Rhys biggest test IMO. We've already seen him make mistakes (Edinburgh city) tactically and learn from it, we've seen him changing a teams shape, learning all the time, the coaching is obviously working, with the improvement in some of the players, but the recruitment, especially at this level will ultimately what shapes our season.

Will it be, promising young released players from a higher level? Guys with potential at a lower level? Loans from England? Released players FROM the championship? Interesting to see.

50 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

And this for me, will be Rhys biggest test IMO. We've already seen him make mistakes (Edinburgh city) tactically and learn from it, we've seen him changing a teams shape, learning all the time, the coaching is obviously working, with the improvement in some of the players, but the recruitment, especially at this level will ultimately what shapes our season.

Will it be, promising young released players from a higher level? Guys with potential at a lower level? Loans from England? Released players FROM the championship? Interesting to see.

I'd like to think that McCabe knew Smith going to Raith was a huge possibility and hopefully has a couple of guys in mind to replace him.  

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

I'd like to think that McCabe knew Smith going to Raith was a huge possibility and hopefully has a couple of guys in mind to replace him.  

you'd like to think so, but not even just replacing Smith, just building the squad in general.

He's got us into this situation, so I'll trust him to improve on that also.

18 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Does anyone know why we announced the Hibs loans so early? It seems a bit odd to announce them at a time when everyone is focused on the play-offs rather than now when people are overly excited for a signing. 

Suspect Hibs announced it or were going to announce it when the players signed new deals, so made sense for us to announce at the same time rather than not acknowledge it. 

I do understand this seems to be at odds to our normal approach to comms!

21 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Does anyone know why we announced the Hibs loans so early? It seems a bit odd to announce them at a time when everyone is focused on the play-offs rather than now when people are overly excited for a signing. 

Just now, Diamond Oracle said:

Suspect Hibs announced it or were going to announce it when the players signed new deals, so made sense for us to announce at the same time rather than not acknowledge it. 

I think your right Hibs had them just sign new deals and be as well to announce at the time they were loaning them out to us.

The club are just weird in general announcing thing, still find it bizarre they only post that squad update on the website and not on any social media platforms, if i wasn't on P&B i still wouldn't know we've got these guys signed up!

28 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

That does make sense, I know they announced Murray Johnson’s loan to Queen of the South around the same time so they were possibly very keen to announce it for whatever reason. 

26 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I think your right Hibs had them just sign new deals and be as well to announce at the time they were loaning them out to us.

The club are just weird in general announcing thing, still find it bizarre they only post that squad update on the website and not on any social media platforms, if i wasn't on P&B i still wouldn't know we've got these guys signed up!

It is very odd isn’t it? I get when they do it for club statements that they maybe don’t want a lot of attention on like Salim being punted but bizarre to not tweet out the squad update. I’m not bothered about them not mentioning anything about Callum Smith, than can easily be included as a sentence in the next update, just weird to quietly post a squad update on the website and not share it.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Some bad financial rumblings on the Thistle forum. Seems like that defeat at Ross County has hit them really badly.

Perfect…. Not that I wish Thistle any hardships like we had, but if this means they will have to tighten belts and maybe be a weaker team next season then that for me is perfect.   The difference between Championship and top flight money wise has to be absolutely massive.  If they were banking everything on the playoffs then that was foolish.  We know better than any team - unless your holding silverware above your head there’s no guarantees of promotion(even the silverware hasn’t always made things a cert) 

5 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Perfect…. Not that I wish Thistle any hardships like we had, but if this means they will have to tighten belts and maybe be a weaker team next season then that for me is perfect.   The difference between Championship and top flight money wise has to be absolutely massive.  If they were banking everything on the playoffs then that was foolish.  We know better than any team - unless your holding silverware above your head there’s no guarantees of promotion(even the silverware hasn’t always made things a cert) 

Just shows the fine lines n football. Thistle going up to Dingwall in buoyant mood with a 2 goal lead not really contemplating losing it. Crash bang wallop and it’s another season in the championship and by the way “we’re skint”

11 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Just shows the fine lines n football. Thistle going up to Dingwall in buoyant mood with a 2 goal lead not really contemplating losing it. Crash bang wallop and it’s another season in the championship and by the way “we’re skint”

Made me think of the fine margins for us against Hibs, penalty goes in we go 2-0 up and probably win, all a long time ago now but makes you think. 

On Thistle never like to see a club in trouble but as someone pointed out on that thread, sympathy stops when clubs are running up debt to outbid other teams for players with money they don't have.