Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

40 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I know his numbers were similar to last season (maybe a couple of goals/assists less) however I thought he regressed this year. He went through spells of being hopeless in the final third this season imo. However he also works relentlessly hard and offered a lot of work going back the way so was too valuable in that regard to drop.

That all being said,  I absolutely love him for what he’s done across his time at Airdrie and I’d much prefer to keep him rather than not. Will be sad to see him go if the rumour is true.

When you look at his goals return as a proportion of the team's total goals you see your feeling is correct.

Last season in all competitions he scored 17 goals (plus 2 for Accies) and the team scored 83 (20%). This season he scored 13 and the team scored 99 goals (13%). So his contribution to the team's total goals dropped considerably.

As you say he offers much more than goals (which is why he always played) but in terms of his attacking threat he definitely offered less this year. Infact he's probably the only player who didn't improve under McCabe. That's what I meant by saying a move would be good for him, given his contribution the previous season his numbers this season compared to Gal and McGill are pretty poor.

Best of luck to Smith. As others have said, I think we got the best of him last season. He seems to just always be lacking that final ball and can be quite one-dimensional. 

Gave us some unforgettable moments though so will always keep and eye on him! 

If we keep gabby then I’m not overly bothered about Smith leaving feel like he’s been a stick on to sign for raith last couple of months, been a good servant to us and a move closer to home for him, best of luck and thanks for the memories.

Probably the right time for both parties that Smith moved on. Wouldn't have been too bothered to see him stay but again not too bothered about him leaving as long we get Gabby and Frizz signed up. 

Gutted to see smith go.   Even when not playing well nobody could fault his work rate and never stopped looking to get on the ball.  Rovers just got a cracking player it will be tough to replace.  

4 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Probably the right time for both parties that Smith moved on. Wouldn't have been too bothered to see him stay but again not too bothered about him leaving as long we get Gabby and Frizz signed up. 

Surely looks like McGill and Frizzell will also be moving after they weren’t announced in the update? 

Thought I would be a lot more gutted to see Smith go. I thought he was enormously frustrating over the last three/six months. Sure he tried hard but always wanted to take an extra touch or beat a man a second time. As other have said probably about the right time he moved on and wish him all the best as he has been a good servant.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Surely looks like McGill and Frizzell will also be moving after they weren’t announced in the update? 

I believe McGill is definitely in talks and I'd imagine Frizzell is too. Both on consillium sports books as well so that helps us a bit and I think Frizzell is tied to consillium sports in more ways than others.

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think the only players named in the update were ones that had already agreed a deal at some point during the season (we have a habit of not announcing these until the end of the season). Still no update on ATS, Watson, Telfer, McGill, or Frizzell.

Just now, renton said:

Exactly where is his best position? Right up front through the middle, coming in off of wide? Staying wide and hitting the byeline?

Last two seasons he’s played almost exclusively on the left of a front 3. Not prolific enough to be a centre forward imo, and he said himself last summer he prefers to play off the left. Works his socks off which I think can be seen more when he plays out wide as well as he’ll track back to help the full back defend. At his worst he’ll miss a few sitters and seem to lack confidence in front of goal, but at his best you’ll love him.