Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

I think our fixtures are usually pot 5 away, pot 4 home, pot 1 home and then pot 2 away. I’d like Livingston, who seem to struggle in the cups at times, and Albion Rovers, as we might not get back to Cliftonhill for a while. Not too fussed about pot 2 or 4 but let’s go for Hamilton and Clyde since they’re probably the weakest teams in each.

4 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Ross County, Inverness, Peterhead and especially Elgin city, to please my Northern Diamond.

Seriously very little travelling! 

We'll soon know.

I quite agree.    Looking forward to championship football and potential NL cup/preseason game with motherwell more exciting than most of the fixtures the league cup could throw us.   All I really want from cup draws is a game against a team we don't see much.   I find the pots are a bit meh as atleast 2 of the teams we will play we will have played 4 times or more last season or will play 4 times in the coming season.   

23 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

The saving on petrol every day would come into consideration too. Even if both clubs offered the same wage, things like that can play a major factor. As it must cost £50+ a week on petrol driving from Kirkcaldy to Airdrie 4-5 days a week. £200 a month saving right away!

I used to travel Glenrothes to Cumbernauld for work. 90 mls return journey. It's pretty much a full tank of diesel a week. So far more than £200. That and the time to travel, It's understandable. 

Think I’ll miss 2 or 3 of the games so I’m not overly bothered. Would be nice to get through for a change. In terms of entertainment Motherwell, Ayr/Thistle, Albion Rovers and whoever from Pot 4 (Annan away would be great) would be ideal. In terms of progression Dundee, Accies, Clyde and any team from 37-40 probably our best bet. Think I’ll be up in Inverness the last weekend of the group stages so wouldn’t mind them away even if we’ll already be playing there twice. Speaking of which, I take it they will be our new year ‘derby’ this season? 

14 minutes ago, *marko* said:

Ross County, Annan and Bonnyrigg Rose purely just to tick another 3 off the 42.

Not fussed on pots 2 and 3. Maybe Accies and Falkirk for old times sake 😁

Bonnyrigg and Elgin are my remaining unvisited grounds so yes please to Bonnyrigg for Pot 5.

I'm clearly forgetting a few of these will be home games, so it's unlikely that I'd get to visit those three grounds in any case.

40/42 is impressive. Do you think you'll try and visit Elgin and Bonnyrigg as a neutral to tick them off, or wait in the hope of an Airdrie cup draw?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrie-championship-play-celebration-left-30181084?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Based on this article it sounds like Gabby is staying..... hopefully 🤞 

McGill added: “It feels brilliant. To be able to get Airdrie into the Championship and have a right good crack at that league is brilliant.

“We know we’ve got a job to do, just like we did this season. We’ll go into every game believing we can win it, and we’ll give it our best shot.”

14 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrie-championship-play-celebration-left-30181084?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Based on this article it sounds like Gabby is staying..... hopefully 🤞 

McGill added: “It feels brilliant. To be able to get Airdrie into the Championship and have a right good crack at that league is brilliant.

“We know we’ve got a job to do, just like we did this season. We’ll go into every game believing we can win it, and we’ll give it our best shot.”

Sounds promising! 

On a side note, how on earth are Cowdenbeath in this league cup? 15th place in the lowland league gets rewarded now?

53 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Sounds promising! 

On a side note, how on earth are Cowdenbeath in this league cup? 15th place in the lowland league gets rewarded now?

I was thinking it would go to the next places in the lowland or highland league but maybe because they were the last league side to be relegated before Albion Rovers is my guess. 

Especially considering seedings go on last seasons standings and not this season as Hamilton and Cove are above us (Hamilton being in pot 2 and Cove having a lower number in pot 3) 

Edited by diamond_for_life

45 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not a fkn scooby.

6 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

I was thinking it would go to the next places in the lowland or highland league but maybe because they were the last league side to be relegated before Albion Rovers is my guess. 

Especially considering seedings go on last seasons standings and not this season as Hamilton and Cove are above us (Hamilton being in pot 2 and Cove having a lower number in pot 3) 

A couple of teams in Lowland and Highland league will feel pretty hard done by.

3 hours ago, *marko* said:

I'm clearly forgetting a few of these will be home games, so it's unlikely that I'd get to visit those three grounds in any case.

40/42 is impressive. Do you think you'll try and visit Elgin and Bonnyrigg as a neutral to tick them off, or wait in the hope of an Airdrie cup draw?

I've had many years to get the 40 but rarely go to games as a neutral so I'll just need to wait.