Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Wikipedia describes him as a centre back that previously played as a striker. We’ve described Todorov as a forward that’s “capable of performing in defence”.  What’s the betting that at some point we’ve got East up front and Todorov at the back?

Easty came to us from Albion Rovers as a striker. He played his first season with us up front though mainly in a wider role rather than the centre forward. He actually only scored once while playing up front (a header Hampden v Queen's Park). We were so short of defenders at the start of the 21/22 season that he was pressed into service as a centre back, and occasionally as a left back, and proved to be so good at it he never went back to playing up front. He's been a bigger goal threat from the back too, scoring a few a set pieces and even striding forward from the back to strike a couple of goals from distance. He has basically played the last two seasons as a defender. He's good on the ball, has a decent turn of pace without being especially quick, and he's decent in the air. Always looking to play football. On the other hand, you still occasionally see him for what he is, a converted forward, he's not always exactly where he should be, he sometimes overplays in the wrong place. What he's really lacked in the last two years is an experienced centre half beside him to talk him through. A Kyle Benedictus / Kirk Broadfoot type, and it might be Calum Fordyce is exactly what he needs. Unfortunately for him he never really had that with us, with Paul McKay the most experienced defender we actually had. East and Darragh O'Connor at the end of the season before last was a very good pairing with Darragh attacking everything aggressively and East being the more composed footballer. We tended to play a back three last season with McKay in the middle of East and Jack Brydon latterly. Brydon is the type of player East needs beside him but he's only 19 himself.

East had his first season with us playing with McCabe so he'll be well known to Rhys obviously, albeit that was before his conversion to defence. We've offered him a contract which as far as I know is still on the table but he's capable of playing Championship and wish him well if he moves on.

Was there not suggestion a couple of weeks back that Stephen Hendrie was interesting Airdrie also? Sure someone posted it on here but that seems to have gone quiet. He's another we've offered a contract to but no news as yet.

Interesting to hear what people think about Kyle MacDonald. He would be a strong addition to the team. He had a few bad games under Murray but he had Euan Deveny in his pocket at EEP. He could probably sharpen up defensively but I think he offers way more going forward than Watson and looks much more suited to championship football 

4 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Interesting to hear what people think about Kyle MacDonald. He would be a strong addition to the team. He had a few bad games under Murray but he had Euan Deveny in his pocket at EEP. He could probably sharpen up defensively but I think he offers way more going forward than Watson and looks much more suited to championship football 

Based on their time at Airdrie I prefer Watson, but based on how MacDonald performed last season for Dunfermline I think you can definitely make a case that he might be a better option. No point signing him when we have Watson and Ballantyne though. We need a left back. I get that both Ballantyne (and MacDonald) can play on the left, but a naturally left-sided full back should be the priority.

For the record if we signed MacDonald I’d be fairly happy with it, I just think right back’s the one position we don’t need to sign for at the moment.

10 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

The club mentioned on both the Watson and Todorov announcements that there will be interviews with both released on Diamonds TV next week. I assume that means the squad will be back in training next week?

Saturday pre season starts.

14 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

1 month since the Hamilton game. They've not even had time to get out of condition!

They'll still be recovering from Benidorm!

12 minutes ago, weigh cider said:

I notice the other player in the pic announcing Janny’s resigning on the Airdrie web site is Stephen Hendrie.

Coincidence …………..mmm ??

Haha good eye! We do need a left back and don't feel there's many kicking about so could be possible.

I reckon Kyle Mcdonald would be a decent signing. He'd bring versatility in that he could fill in at either fullback position, but also play further up each wing. He's quick and a decent player so I could see why Rhys would be interested in signing him. If it happens, I'd be happy. If it doesn't, no worries. 

1 hour ago, weigh cider said:

I notice the other player in the pic announcing Janny’s resigning on the Airdrie web site is Stephen Hendrie.

Coincidence …………..mmm ??

Probably just coincidence. Is Hendry not a local lad too though? I’m sure he went to Caldervale or I might just be completely imagining that 😂

41 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I reckon Kyle Mcdonald would be a decent signing. He'd bring versatility in that he could fill in at either fullback position, but also play further up each wing. He's quick and a decent player so I could see why Rhys would be interested in signing him. If it happens, I'd be happy. If it doesn't, no worries. 

Another one I'd have kept, I wouldn't describe him as particularly quick though.

15 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Another one I'd have kept, I wouldn't describe him as particularly quick though.

When we had him we had Leon McCann at left back and McCann definitely seemed to be the better player, quicker and better defensively, so I was actually a but surprised when Dunfermline paid a fee for MacDonald midseason. What MacDonald always had over McCann though was an absolutely killer cross.

I'd genuinely be a bit "meh" if McDonald came back.  I'm not against it at all, just very undecided.  I think he'll do alright at the bottom end of the championship top of league 1, and he's still young enough to really develop at that level.  Maybe its just my memory of him in the playoff that sours it a bit.

Plus the excitement of signing some unknown Albanian right back who's just got in tow with Consilium would be far more intriguing.

Meh. McMaster did well towards the end of last season but not sure he’s ready for the step up just yet. I hope we’re still able to bring in a stronger holding midfielder, as I’d rather not rely on McCabe and McMaster there all season. I do think he has potential, so hopefully he can develop further this season.