Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

6 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

You would hope…

It appears to me that we’ve not really made any signings that would trump McCabe’s career and so wonder if this would come into play as he is still a player first and foremost 

That's you prerogative, understand where you're coming from, but for me, guys who've had a decent career or are wrapping up in the premiership, will have more attractive offers than Airdrie lets just get that out there.  It all depends on the "older pro" as well, will they be confident playing for a "younger guy", me personally I think McCabe has massive potential as a manager and these next couple of years will have a massive say on how far he goes in the game. He talks the right way, wants to play the right way, talking to a few guys, his training is very professional and intense, I just don't see him not signing someone because they had a longer career at a higher level, but again only IMO.

5 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

I think Rhys would sign anyone who would improve the team, he's clearly targetting along career in management by starting so young, he's got off to the best possible start, if he can keep Airdrie up, stabalise in the Championship over the next few seasons he'll be off to a higher placed Scottish team or down south so he'll sign whoever he can to achieve success.

I think this as well.  He's got a great chance to make a solid foundation here, and if we can consolidate in the championship while playing a nice brand of football, he won't be here long, which will be bittersweet, but not unexpected.

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++
there, their, they're

27 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Maybe something in that,older more experienced players may not be what manager wants,Smith and Wotherspoon would of course be players that would make us a team to really compete in this league ,get them in before sat ,

Or more likely that we can't afford the older more experienced players, like Wotherspoon.

Wotherspoon is by all accounts a great professional and seems like exactly the kind of role mode you would want for a young squad. I could imagine McCabe being a bit reluctant to go for an older player who has a reputation for downing tools or causing issues but I don’t think that applies to Wotherspoon at all.

For me, signing or not signing someone like Wotherspoon will purely cone down to budget. And I reckon he is way out of ours. Last season there was 2 leagues between us, so we will have one of the lowest budgets in the league and he's stepping down from a Premier league wage. Way to big a gap to bridge IMO. 

I think we will look at investing our money into players on an upward trend as well, so we have the potential to cash in on them should the opportunity present itself further down the line. 

I think Dunfermline were expecting to have signed Wotherspoon by now so it does seem that he is weighing up his options. Whether or not we are a serious option to him is up for debate but considering he was training with us and shares an agent with half our squad I’d definitely believe that we’re trying to sign him.

For the record I think the Consilium guy replying on twitter was probably annoyed that it had been implied Jackie McNamara (presumably his boss) is pulling the strings behind these transfers. That doesn’t mean I trust that twitter page to have inside info, as I think the guy is basically just compiling what he reads on P&B and the Daily Record etc.

I’ll be shocked if Wotherspoon signs for us now. This rumour has been around since he was playing for Canada in the Gold Cup and at that point the rumour was it was all but done, only a medical to go. That must be about six weeks ago. Then he came back, came to our game and McPake said there was nothing doing. He was then training with you guys, then training with us and again all the papers were saying it was a done deal yet here we are another week on and nothing.

Sounds like a lot of fannying about from Wotherspoon and his agent. No denying he’s a good player but I wouldn’t be surprised if McPake has canned it. From our point of view, reading various social media stuff from fans it sounds like the majority want the idea binned as well.

I personally still want to see him play for us but it has became less appealing since last week. 

57 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

For me, signing or not signing someone like Wotherspoon will purely cone down to budget. And I reckon he is way out of ours. Last season there was 2 leagues between us, so we will have one of the lowest budgets in the league and he's stepping down from a Premier league wage. Way to big a gap to bridge IMO. 

I think we will look at investing our money into players on an upward trend as well, so we have the potential to cash in on them should the opportunity present itself further down the line. 

Agree to an extent, the club have to be braver though,  you will get next to no reward for young players or any players for that matter when they are only on one year deals,  bigger teams like Raith will constantly hoover up our talent and get them signed up on 2 or 3 year deals.

3 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I don’t think St Johnstone will have been paying huge money, given how their season went I’d think they’d be among the teams with a lower budget in the top flight - but yes certainly more than we would be able to offer.

7 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I don’t think St Johnstone will have been paying huge money, given how their season went I’d think they’d be among the teams with a lower budget in the top flight - but yes certainly more than we would be able to offer.

We spent a fortune last season. Around 40 players, many on 6 figure salaries, and looking at a loss of around £2m.

This season its a lot lower due to that. which undoubtedly played a part in us letting Wotherspoon go.

33 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Wotherspoon would’ve easily been on 4 figures a week at st johnstone. There’s no danger of us paying him that sort of money.

36 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Wotherspoon would’ve easily been on 4 figures a week at st johnstone. There’s no danger of us paying him that sort of money.

Also depends what we can offer these guys, as well as the playing side. Guys will be looking at what to do after they retire also. Would the club pay for David's badges if he wanted that? Allow a pathway into coaching for him, use of the stadium for 1 to 1 training like a few players do etc. 

Clubs are moving in this direction and facilities and availablity can also influence guys decisions. We'll see.

Cue him f*cking off to the Vancouver whitecaps.

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Back to Justin Devenny.

It was suggested on Facebook, albeit it was more of a rant, that Devenny not playing was down to him spitting the dummy out rather than us wrapping him in cotton wool. Any truth? 

Just can't see that being the case, he doesn't seem the type, comes across as quite grounded and having seen his mum around the stadium a lot last season I doubt think she'd stand for him having hissy fits. If there was some kind of refusal to play he wouldn't even be on the bench.