Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Surprised at the tone of the criticism as I didn't think Airdrie looked dreadful today. The attack would obviously be disappointing but on the other side of the park you've tightened things up considerably - which I and probably everyone expected would be your downfall after shipping 124 goals last season at a lower level. 

Whatever 'football philosophy' seemed to be in place before was not really evident though. To be dominated in terms of possession alone (in my judgment - stats may disagree) by a Morton team that normally plays directly and creates quick turnovers was surprising and raises a question about what type of game Airdrie plan to dominate in the second half of the season. Being a jack of all trades side is not actually going to deliver many wins at Championship level, without a degree of individual quality that you can't afford.

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

Surprised at the tone of the criticism as I didn't think Airdrie looked dreadful today. The attack would obviously be disappointing but on the other side of the park you've tightened things up considerably - which I and probably everyone expected would be your downfall after shipping 124 goals last season at a lower level. 

Whatever 'football philosophy' seemed to be in place before was not really evident though. To be dominated in terms of possession alone (in my judgment - stats may disagree) by a Morton team that normally plays directly and creates quick turnovers was surprising and raises a question about what type of game Airdrie plan to dominate in the second half of the season. Being a jack of all trades side is not actually going to deliver many wins at Championship level, without a degree of individual quality that you can't afford.

Pretty fair assessment, I think McCabe for the first time in his tenure doesn't have any answers,  today it looked like hunting an early goal, if we got it, all well and good if not , see out the game,  we weren't far away at the cup tie at Cappielow,  we didn't need tinkering it was working, but the more we tinker the.bigger the problems it is unveiling and now we are struggling badly..   IMO we need to get back to the quick passing game that has disappeared over the last couple of months and stick with it ..

For what it's worth Morton look a stereotypical championship team to me and 7th or 8th place should be gotten with ease I would think....

On the plus side, the defence was pretty solid yesterday and dealt with the aerial threat very comfortably with Fordyce heading everything and was MoM for me.

The midfield to front is a big worry at the moment with only Telfer looking the part even though he wasn't great yesterday. Josh O'Connor's first touch is terrible and the poor guy looks shot to pieces and completely lacking in confidence, ditto Gabby. O'Connor is not an option even of the bench and the fact that he came on before McGregor suggests to me that Lewis is still carrying an injury. Despite Frizz & McStravick being talented players they are struggling physically and we can't have both starting games.

On the plus side Murray Aiken appears to be moon boot free but obviously weeks away yet, so when you look at the squad there ain't many options. I hope we don't feck about and have a new player in for the ICT game.

11 hours ago, virginton said:

I think you pretty much nailed the answer to your first point about the tone of the criticism with your second point about us being dominated in terms of possession (I also can't be arsed looking at stats). I don't believe we have tightened up in defence, the frailties were still evident yesterday it's just that Morton in my opinion were as inept as us in an attacking sense.

We have descended from being a team who were able to move the ball around quickly and effectively to a team who can't string 2 passes together, a defence and midfield who don't know where the forwards are thus leaving them so isolated they feed off scraps or are having to drop deep to win the ball themselves. 

I said at the start of the season I'd be happy with 8th and recent form suggests that is the area where we are likely to be however finding some sort of form which fans know we are capable of would ease some of the anxiety felt by the support although I can't think of anyone who would agree with McCabe's earlier suggestion that there was no reason why we couldn't be competing at the top!

Actually felt quite good about that lineup when I saw it, turns out I was massively wrong. Obvious issue us that we aren’t just failing to score, we’re failing to even threaten the opposition keeper. I thought the defence were fine, Megwa solid, McCabe and Fordyce didn’t do much wrong, and Hancock done well too. Hard to praise anyone further up the park apart from McGregor. The midfield and forwards aren’t creating anything. I think a lot of it is to do with players simply being too slow and weak. Gallagher is getting nowhere near as much time on the ball as he did in League One and it really shows. By the time he receives a pass and gets the ball under control there’s a player or two on top of him. Frizz seems to have no confidence whatsoever and you very rarely see him threading a through ball forwards or driving at players anymore. Definitely need something in January and not just Aiken’s return (although hopefully that will help). Would bite your hand for 8th now.

When you are stuck in a rut like this it is hard to be positive, but perhaps the current negativity is really down to how spoilt we have been over the last few seasons.  There is no doubt that the quality of our attacking play, the quantity and quality of the goals we have scored in the last 2 years has probably been better than it ever has been in the past and that includes going way back to the 90s and earlier. However this season was always going to be a big jump in standard and most of us worried that we would score goals but find ourselves overwhelmed at the other end.  It's not really panned out that way.

So the positives;  

- There can be no argument we have improved defensively.   With the exception of the game at Arbroath the team has been competitive in every single match and margins have been very right.  There have been a few goals shipped through poor defending but overall the defence has improved and probably the only two real quality additions we have made this year have both been at the back in Megwa & Hancock.    We do compete at a Championship level - we didn't last time we were at this level

- We are not in the relegation zone.  Almost everyone knew the target this season in a tough league was survival.  8th is success.   We sort of fell for hype that we could challenge for promotion and to be fair there is very little between virtually every time in this league so the difference between challenging for promotion and avoiding relegation is marginal.

- Support.  We never have the biggest of supports - never have done, however averaging about 1,800 is probably as healthy as you could expect for Airdrie - you have to go back a long way to the days of challenging for or being in the Premier League to do better.

We do need to improve if going to keep our heads above water.  I'd encourage us not to lose sight of how we want to play however.  There are positives.  I think we have lacked that quality player who can unlock tight Championship defenses.  I look on jealously when I look at Raith.  We do miss Easton & Smith - in particular if we had kept Smith he was the type of player who could on occasion add that bit of magic.  The major failing this season is we didn't get the quality we hoped to in order to replace Smith.  I'm not a fan of McGregor - pace causes problems, but almost always his end product is poor and McStravick has potential but not yet convinced.   The front pairings are being continually changed.  Gallagher is by far our best striker - even on a off day I would leave him on for when that chance comes along.  Todorov adds presence but he lacks a quality finish - missed big big chances late against Queens Park & Partick that would have had us feeling much better right now.  Give McGill & Gallagher an extended run but play McGill more central.     If we keep positive,  keep to our principles and IF we can hopefuly add that bit of extra quality in the final third in January then we can be ok.   It will tough though and goals scarce, but even looking at yesterday there wasn't a lot to be scared off...not seen any team we couldn't beat. 

My thoughts on where we are, for what it is worth.

Firstly, the squad. It was recognised by all of us that at the start of the season, we needed to strengthen, and in particular the defense. Rhys brought in the three Hibs loanees plus Hancock and replaced Smith & Devenny with Todorov & McStavrick. Megwa, Aiken and Hancock have been brilliant, along with Ballantyne, Watson and Fordyce, so the defense is sorted. There may be the odd error that leads to a goal, but that is true of any team at any level in any country.

In attack, McGill seems to have gone off the boil, Todorov has yet to produce and none of McStavrick, O'Connor or McGregor are the finished article. Gallagher for me has been a brilliant servant to the club and in years to come will be looked back upon as an Aidrie legend. Without service he can't do it all alone up front and I think Rhys's idea against Morton when he subbed on Todorov & O'Connor was to either put balls behind the defense for O'Connor to run on to and pass to Tod, or to Tod to knock down for O'Connor to run on to. This didn't work and highlights what we need in January: someone to create opportunities plus someone to put the ball in the net, either alongside Gallagher or as an alternative.

When you look back at where we have come from in the past 12 months, and are now competing easily with teams like Morton compared to when they gubbed us in the play-offs a couple of years ago, I am enjoying where we are. Remember that if we end up 8th with 40 points that means something like 10 wins, 10 draws and 16 defeats so that won't always feel good. Rhys has a huge football brain and is well aware of what needs to be done and I am confident will do it - he had a real twinkle in his eye when he said Diamonds fans should look forward to 2024!

I don't think Gabby can't do it at this level and Saturday showed he is the one player who can link up with Gal. His knock downs and passes went to Gal in most cases and not just in his general direction. He also has a calmness and more sense when in the box than the youngsters who still have that to learn.

McCabe's chipped forward passes were mostly spot on landing on a head or chest compared to Fordyce's speculative punts in the direction of where there might be someone. That may be a bit harsh but there is no doubt that McCabe needs to be on the pitch.

16 hours ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

I don't think Gabby can't do it at this level and Saturday showed he is the one player who can link up with Gal. His knock downs and passes went to Gal in most cases and not just in his general direction. He also has a calmness and more sense when in the box than the youngsters who still have that to learn.

McCabe's chipped forward passes were mostly spot on landing on a head or chest compared to Fordyce's speculative punts in the direction of where there might be someone. That may be a bit harsh but there is no doubt that McCabe needs to be on the pitch.

Certainly think manager has to play,and he likely will stick to his game so you would think ,Gabby and Gal  would start ,

If you said to me after watching Jay Riley's (remember him?) disasterclass during our first game of 2023 that we'd finish it by scoring a last minute winner at the national stadium to move up to fifth in the Championship I'd have jumped at it. Been plenty of ups and downs as usual but what a class year for Airdrie all in. Scoring a ridiculous number of goals in the first half of 2023, scudding Falkirk 7-2 in the play-offs, finally winning them, good cup runs and then despite some of the well discussed issues recently (which are still true) being a pretty competitive Championship team. Still a long way to go this season but as far as calendar years go it's been our best for a long time. 

That's a massive win today. Seems surreal considering recent performances and results that we're actually sitting fifth, but that's where we are halfway through the season and you have to be happy with that. Still important to get a couple of players in to improve our first team in my opinion, but really good win today. Even better that we also stopped the team in last place from picking up any points.

Nikolay Todorov. Never doubted him!

Watching that second half today did make me think that our best performances over the last few months have been with him up front. I'm still unconvinced by him (that miss!) but the rest of the team seem to play a bit quicker and more direct when he's on the park which stops the slow, sideways stuff from dominating too much. Even as a Gallagher stan I'd go with Todorov and McGill up front on Tuesday.

Hopefully that win gives us a huge confidence boost ahead of a couple of tough but winnable home games next week. The league is so tight between 4th-10th so any decent run would really help to open up a gap.

1 minute ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

That's a massive win today. Seems surreal considering recent performances and results that we're actually sitting fifth, but that's where we are halfway through the season and you have to be happy with that. Still important to get a couple of players in to improve our first team in my opinion, but really good win today. Even better that we also stopped the team in last place from picking up any points.

Aye all credit to team for digging out a win today,

A great result as well given the wider context that we were the only team from 4th to 10th to record a victory this weekend. Lots of chat about the magical 40 points mark to stay up, that's us on 21 after quarter 2 so still (somewhat wobbily) on course.

Big window ahead for a quality signing/loan or two.