Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

3 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Yeah I was the same, could find the league cup and Scottish cup trials as well as last year's overall prize money but nothing for the challenge cup.

Absolutely beyond me that we’ve set up a competition which could result in £50,000 prize money (and the rest from earlier rounds) being diverted away from the Scottish game. Need to bin this format. 

Edited by She who dares gins

So it looks like the difference between winners and RU in the cup will only be 20K.   If we pull it off and actually beat Hearts, chances are we’re onto a very good pay day in the next round.  I’m really hoping all these extra funds are being used to secure Rhys’s and Dyceys services for the next season or two.  Them being at the club is by far priority #1. I’m sure we can see an influx of great loan signings based on our management and surely there will be extra funds for some signings post season.  I’m so impressed with the progress we’ve made in the last two years, on and off the park.  Feel like losing Rhys and co could be a big setback for the club.  Something we have to address sooner rather than later 

On 22/01/2024 at 16:11, Diamonds are Forever said:

I get what you're saying but this is the same St Johnstone who appointed Steven MacLean who had precisely zero management experience at first team level.

Bit late, but its worth mentioning MacLean oversaw 3 wins in 6 as caretaker manager to help steer us clear of relegation, and was then appointed by a chairman who was friendly with him and who knew he was leaving so the after effects wouldnt matter to him at all.

Ayr fan in peace - are there any pubs near Airdrie train station that I could take my 8 year old in ahead of the game in a couple of weeks?  Trying to decide if I'm letting him come or not 🤣

While we’re all on a high - who would you consider your POTY so far? I imagine there could be varied responses because we’ve had different standouts at different times. Megwa certainly a standout but at the club for too short a time to be considered. Aiken was a standout early on but has obviously been injured for a long spell. Todorov certainly on form now and if he keeps that up he could be considered. I’d imagine Fordyce and Telfer would be popular shouts but I’d go for Rae personally. Could see how much we improved last season when he came back in and he’s maybe not always had lots to do but I feel so confident watching him deal with balls into the box and playing with the ball at his feet (and he’s had a lot less dodgy moments so far than last season and hasn’t even been sent off yet). I’d probably go for Hancock as YPOTY so far.

On the manager trajectory topic I always think of Owen Coyle when he took Burnley up. The fans thought he was God and his face fit and style suited. He was being touted for the Celtic job and even as a replacement for Wenger at Arsenal. When he moved on his contract were ended pretty quick everywhere he went with some really negative press. He had to go to the States to get a job and then India. His short term influence at Queens Park probably cost us promotion in that final but he wasn't there long either.

So the cautionary tale for Rhys is that the grass is not always greener. If he is enjoying what he is doing with us and in a few years takes us up again he will get the rewards and have some loyalty from upstairs.

36 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

While we’re all on a high - who would you consider your POTY so far? I imagine there could be varied responses because we’ve had different standouts at different times. Megwa certainly a standout but at the club for too short a time to be considered. Aiken was a standout early on but has obviously been injured for a long spell. Todorov certainly on form now and if he keeps that up he could be considered. I’d imagine Fordyce and Telfer would be popular shouts but I’d go for Rae personally. Could see how much we improved last season when he came back in and he’s maybe not always had lots to do but I feel so confident watching him deal with balls into the box and playing with the ball at his feet (and he’s had a lot less dodgy moments so far than last season and hasn’t even been sent off yet). I’d probably go for Hancock as YPOTY so far.

Fordyce for me at the moment,Hancock and manager himself are close,

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

Ayr fan in peace - are there any pubs near Airdrie train station that I could take my 8 year old in ahead of the game in a couple of weeks?  Trying to decide if I'm letting him come or not 🤣

I’d recommend just heading to the bar at the stadium. Away fans are welcome and there’s a little pool table to keep kids amused. 

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think I’d go with Telfer. It’s a strange one as you say, as some of our better performers (Megwa, Aiken, Hancock) have had spells out the team and even Telfer was in and out for the first couple of months. Fordyce has been immense over the last month or so and while not a POTY candidate, Watson deserves a mention for being a somewhat surprisingly consistently good performer at this level.

Rae is a fair shout too. As you say, there are times when he doesn’t have much to do but even then, the defence seem so confident with him behind them. I think he’s improved his decision making in one on ones too. Earlier this season we conceded quite a few goals where a player was through on goal and the way Rae used to rush out without actually blocking the goal didn’t exactly prevent them scoring, he’s had a fair number of decent saves from similar positions over the last few months though. It’s easy to forget how young he is too, I think he’ll go on to have a very good career. Hopefully any scouts just watch him against Dunfermline.

I suppose it’s a good sign that there isn’t really a consensus choice in what has so far been a very successful season. 

Think POTY and YPOTY are very difficult to call this year, for POTY I'm crossed between McCabe and Telfer. For YPOTY if Megwa is eligible for the vote I'd vote for him despite being back at Hibs or for Mason Hancock. 

I don't think I would be disappointed seeing anyone win it as there's been loads of stand outs and consistent performers this season, Janny, Dycey, Rae and Aiken, you could make a case for all of them.

Edited by David Fernández

2 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

I’d recommend just heading to the bar at the stadium. Away fans are welcome and there’s a little pool table to keep kids amused. 

Ah nice one - that sounds ideal, I thought the bar there was only for hospitality stuff.  Probably grab a pint and some lunch in Glasgow between trains then just head to the ground.  Thanks folks 

5 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

If we pull it off and actually beat Hearts, chances are we’re onto a very good pay day in the next round.  

102k guaranteed, rising to 126k if it's on the telly.

Screenshot_20240204-221717.png

Edited by cb_diamond

4 hours ago, Hursty said:

The West End Bar is good and I think is child friendly (just don’t tweet about asking Airdrie fans for a square go as I’m sure they’ll be especially obliging to an Ayr fan). Cue Here is as well I’m sure and, as the name suggests, offers pool tables if you’re into that kind of thing. I’m not a huge fan of the stadium bar but it is handy if you got kid(s) coming along. 

4 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

First quarter I’d have said Ballantyne PotY and Aiken YPotY. Second quarter probably a combination of Megwa or Hancock. At the moment I’m leaning towards Telfer PotY and Hancock YPotY although Rae is up there for me too. Nice to have so many players in contention and, of course, Ballantyne, Aiken or A.N. Other could make a late surge for either award. 

Edited by airdrieman

On 03/02/2024 at 11:18, A Diamond For Me said:

It's amazing how confident I feel watching Airdrie defending a one goal lead these days.  For so many years watching that's been an utterly exruciating experience.  You felt we were a stick on to lose a goal from any corner, and so often they would panic and crumble under pressure, especially late on.  At the moment I'm not sure Airdrie will actually concede a goal ever again.

I hope that we can defend a one goal lead against the Jam Tarts.

Edited by Rio 2

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

102k guaranteed, rising to 126k if it's on the telly.

Screenshot_20240204-221717.png

Thats really good money, but was thinking about gate money too… OF or Motherwell home or away would be a big payday. Staying grounded but feel like this could be one of those cup ties like Celtic in ‘98.   Dare to dream 

5 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Thats really good money, but was thinking about gate money too… OF or Motherwell home or away would be a big payday. Staying grounded but feel like this could be one of those cup ties like Celtic in ‘98.   Dare to dream 

Next round is getting drawn at the Excelsior before the game on Sunday,  so we will be in the hat....