Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

47 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Not sure what you mean, this is a completely normal reaction to having to sit 10 yards away from your normal seat.

IMG_3379.jpeg

Treated like horseshit and despicable for having to move sections haha what absolute drivel, get these sort of people everywhere in life unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Having worked in customer service for years nothing about the general public amazes me so I'm not surprised to read about folk moaning about having to move 10 seats along or not being able to park in their usual spot etc.

As for the complaints about 'glory hunters', we should be encouraging more folk to come to the games, not drive them away, I took my friend who's a Rangers fan to the Inverness game last month and he was impressed with Airdrie, even more so that he's coming along to hospitality with me to the Arbroath game next month.

I've never seen Airdrie play Hearts at home before so I'm excited and really looking forward to the occasion, hopefully a cracking support and atmosphere. 

I've seen Airdrie win the challenge Cup twice but it would be amazing for the younger fans to see Airdrie win a trophy and that would be something they would remember forever, and hopefully have them keep coming back.

I'd honestly take the comments on FB or other forms of social media with a pinch of salt, folk just like a moan about anything.

Hit the nail on the head. I started properly getting into Airdrie when I was 14. In that season we knocked Heart out a cup on penalties and then won the challenge cup a couple of months later. 

Hopefully this season sees the exact same fate! 

Really excited for Sunday. The less said about the game a few years ago the better but that penalty win at Tynecastle in 2008 was an all timer. I can’t say I’m confident we’ll win, it’s a real step up from St. Johnstone, but it should be a good occasion and there’s certainly a slight chance of an upset.

It’s great having so many big games just now. I’ve said it before but at the end of 2019 I tried to think of the best Airdrie games/moments of that decade and it was grim. Depressing stuff when David Hutton saving a penalty at Parkhead was more fun than most games. The last few years have been so much more enjoyable. There’s still been a few disappointments in there but going back to around January 2021, it would be hard to argue many other SPFL teams have been more fun to support than Airdrie over that time.

1 hour ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Hit the nail on the head. I started properly getting into Airdrie when I was 14. In that season we knocked Heart out a cup on penalties and then won the challenge cup a couple of months later. 

Hopefully this season sees the exact same fate! 

As long as the league season doesn't finish like that one!

9 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Having worked in customer service for years nothing about the general public amazes me so I'm not surprised to read about folk moaning about having to move 10 seats along or not being able to park in their usual spot etc.

As for the complaints about 'glory hunters', we should be encouraging more folk to come to the games, not drive them away, I took my friend who's a Rangers fan to the Inverness game last month and he was impressed with Airdrie, even more so that he's coming along to hospitality with me to the Arbroath game next month.

I've never seen Airdrie play Hearts at home before so I'm excited and really looking forward to the occasion, hopefully a cracking support and atmosphere. 

I've seen Airdrie win the challenge Cup twice but it would be amazing for the younger fans to see Airdrie win a trophy and that would be something they would remember forever, and hopefully have them keep coming back.

I'd honestly take the comments on FB or other forms of social media with a pinch of salt, folk just like a moan about anything.

A couple of my personal favourites were comments on the club’s Facebook page. One person suggesting a boycott of the car park situation and another rhetorically asking the club if they suggest he gets a train from Stirling to Airdrie via changing at Glasgow. Yes? I will also be getting the train from Glasgow and you will be completely fine 👍 I appreciate the potential issues RE accessibility or mobility but, I’m sure if you phone the club they will sort parking for you and, indeed, this seems have happened already for a couple of fans who mentioned this issue on the Facebook page. 

I don’t think the parking situation as is on Sunday would be sustainable *if* we got promoted. But for a one off game I think folk will survive if you take alternative modes of transport to the game, walk or park a bit further away or earlier before the game as a one-off. 

If we’re talking about moaning though, definitely eat before you go because no chance you’re both getting a pie and seeing the game on Sunday 😂

Looks like McStravick is out for Sunday. Presumably Donnell in from the start in his place? A bit of extra physicality might not be a bad thing. I suppose the alternative would be Ballantyne starting with Watson moving inside and McCabe moving into midfield. 

9 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Looks like McStravick is out for Sunday. Presumably Donnell in from the start in his place? A bit of extra physicality might not be a bad thing. I suppose the alternative would be Ballantyne starting with Watson moving inside and McCabe moving into midfield. 

I'm a big Ballantyne fan but will depend on how fit he is and he might be better suited playing against Forrest than Watson, but do we really want to change the back 4? At least we have options and could Lyall replace McStravick?

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I'm a big Ballantyne fan but will depend on how fit he is and he might be better suited playing against Forrest than Watson, but do we really want to change the back 4? At least we have options and could Lyall replace McStravick?

Definitely options yeah. Gavin Gallagher is another, different kind of player to McStravick but he’d work hard and get around the park. I’d be reluctant to change a settled defence too and while I’d like McCabe in midfield, having someone like McMaster to keep things calm and recycle the ball might be ideal in a game where we might not control possession as much as we’re used to. 

10 hours ago, Mr November said:

Definitely options yeah. Gavin Gallagher is another, different kind of player to McStravick but he’d work hard and get around the park. I’d be reluctant to change a settled defence too and while I’d like McCabe in midfield, having someone like McMaster to keep things calm and recycle the ball might be ideal in a game where we might not control possession as much as we’re used to. 

If we put McCabe back in midfield I think we'd have to change system a bit and go with 2 sitters. Neither McCabe or McMaster can really play the role that McStravick plays so one would need to drop out if we keep the same system. Would mean going back to 4231, which then reveals the problem of our lack of wide players again.

Against a better side it might be worth it, however I think we'll struggle to score anyway so going even more defensive in midfield will just make it less likely. I've barely seen Lyall so it's hard to say with certainty it's what I'd do but on paper a straight swap with him for McStravick would be my pick.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

If we put McCabe back in midfield I think we'd have to change system a bit and go with 2 sitters. Neither McCabe or McMaster can really play the role that McStravick plays so one would need to drop out if we keep the same system. Would mean going back to 4231, which then reveals the problem of our lack of wide players again.

Against a better side it might be worth it, however I think we'll struggle to score anyway so going even more defensive in midfield will just make it less likely. I've barely seen Lyall so it's hard to say with certainty it's what I'd do but on paper a straight swap with him for McStravick would be my pick.

Yeah I agree, that’s why I’d keep McMaster in there as someone who can recycle possession and use the ball well, with McCabe behind him for long range passing if needed. Certainly wouldn’t want to change the shape away from having four in the middle. Donnell or Lyall seem the more obvious choices.

Our best "wingers" are Hancock and Cammy. Hancock's crosses are better than anything McGregor was putting in. McGregor has proven to be more effective and a real threat playing in a freer role in a 2 up front.

I've said it earlier replace McStravick with Cammy and play Hancock and Cammy as wingbacks. Leaves McMaster where he plays best and the heart of the defence is untouched with McCabe still in control of pulling the strings when we have the ball at the back. I do think Hearts will be more effective in their high press and that is where we will win or lose the game if we get caught and lose soft goals.

Really looking forward to playing them on our own pitch.

16 hours ago, airdrieman said:

A couple of my personal favourites were comments on the club’s Facebook page. One person suggesting a boycott of the car park situation and another rhetorically asking the club if they suggest he gets a train from Stirling to Airdrie via changing at Glasgow. Yes? I will also be getting the train from Glasgow and you will be completely fine 👍 I appreciate the potential issues RE accessibility or mobility but, I’m sure if you phone the club they will sort parking for you and, indeed, this seems have happened already for a couple of fans who mentioned this issue on the Facebook page. 

I don’t think the parking situation as is on Sunday would be sustainable *if* we got promoted. But for a one off game I think folk will survive if you take alternative modes of transport to the game, walk or park a bit further away or earlier before the game as a one-off. 

If we’re talking about moaning though, definitely eat before you go because no chance you’re both getting a pie and seeing the game on Sunday 😂

I don't think the club are willingly chasing us away from the stadium, bigger sides like St Johnstone who we put to the sword have always had stadium parking for all big games,  alright we will have half a dozen TV wagons and cables going everywhere,   I heard the club had a few meetings with Police Scotland regarding the match, maybe this is the best solution to keep costs down, I can only guess,   what do the club get charged for Officers on duty in the park and outside etc or do we get charged for extra plod on the streets of Airdrie keeping us all safe going to and from the game..

I sincerely hope we get our act together regarding the kiosks,  this is the chance to shine and make money, if this is the usual shambles and quality surely for next season we need to get a decent company Pie Sports or somebody to give us a more varied and better product,  that we have all commented on when on our travels this season..

1 hour ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Our best "wingers" are Hancock and Cammy. Hancock's crosses are better than anything McGregor was putting in. McGregor has proven to be more effective and a real threat playing in a freer role in a 2 up front.

I've said it earlier replace McStravick with Cammy and play Hancock and Cammy as wingbacks. Leaves McMaster where he plays best and the heart of the defence is untouched with McCabe still in control of pulling the strings when we have the ball at the back. I do think Hearts will be more effective in their high press and that is where we will win or lose the game if we get caught and lose soft goals.

Really looking forward to playing them on our own pitch.

I disagree. Do not change our shape as our turnaround in form came when we went to a back 4. Going back to 3 CBs and wingbacks will result in one thing only, a defeat. Murray did this in 2019, got a 5 nil thumping. 

It's a simple swap, mcstravick out so lyall or donnell in. Nothing else needs changed. Maybe Gal in from the start and use McGregor's pace off the bench after the hour mark. 

1 hour ago, David_86 said:

I disagree. Do not change our shape as our turnaround in form came when we went to a back 4. Going back to 3 CBs and wingbacks will result in one thing only, a defeat. Murray did this in 2019, got a 5 nil thumping. 

It's a simple swap, mcstravick out so lyall or donnell in. Nothing else needs changed. Maybe Gal in from the start and use McGregor's pace off the bench after the hour mark. 

The Murray team in2019 was a very different team.

If you want to keep the back 4 just move McCabe forward a bit. It is only semantics and they can be fluid on the pitch. Introducing an unknown player in the hope that he will do ok is risky. Rhys will know from training if the boy is a good fit and ready but I would like to see Watson and Ballantyne both playing. A bit like Scotland with Robertson and Tierney you get your best players that you trust into the game.

McCabe is still a bit suspect when the ball gets in behind him, great when he is in the box, but his tracking back has caused us a few issues against the better teams. Hearts will be the best team we have come up against for a long time and will have researched our weaknesses. 

4 hours ago, David_86 said:

Yeah I remember being raging with Murray when he done that at tynecastle.

We are such a good defensive unit and carry a threat in attack. Considering the form we are in, changing from that would be madness.

On 08/02/2024 at 15:43, AJ77 said:

Airdrie fans complaining? Nahhhhh

My favourite complaint this week was some geezer making his point known that he won't be attending the cup final against TNS because B teams were in the tournament, don't agree with the b teams in it but not going to your teams first cup final in 16 years because of that really petty.

That "geezer" would be me.

I said at the outset of the SPFL rush to include B teams in competition, whether that be in the Lowland League or in the Challenge Cup that I would not be attending any of the games in the cup as a matter of principle as I was totally opposed to their inclusion in senior football. 

I don't change my principles and haven't been to any match in the tournament since they were allowed in. I go to all home league and other cup games, a majority of away matches so missing the occasional "diddy cup" match doesn't really faze me. I've been fortunate enough to have seen Airdrie in 2 Scottish cup finals and fair few challenge cup finals so missing this one doesn't bother me other than the boy will be going to his first cup final without me. He only boycotts the games in which we play a B team. I'm intransigent when it comes to a matter of principle and I lay the blame for me not seeing the club in the final firmly at the door of the SPFL and also the clubs for not doing enough to fight the decision.

If the B teams continue in the tournament I'll continue to abstain from attending matches in it. You can call it "petty" and I'll continue to think of it as standing by a principle.

Funnily enough I'm also the one complaining about the decision to close an entire section of the stand to accommodate hospitality and shunt people who have been supporting the club, financially and vocally, away from that entire area. I'll make clear I'm not far away from that part of the stadium anyway but for me the matchday experience is about more than watching football, partly due the football being so shite for so long, and is more a social thing. Seeing the people who are in that general area who you've got to know over the years and have plenty of chat with and who will now be scattered around the stand. Again not a huge thing but the whole way that this was done in conjunction with the closure of car parks to supporters leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Probably because I've seen enough instances over the years of regular support being taken for granted. Again I'm fortunate in that I'm fit, mobile and can drive through from Stirling in plenty of time, find a place to abandon the car and walk to the ground. Not everyone is that fortunate and not everyone of those people will have the blue badges that the club will accommodate. Rounding off the statement with advice to give consideration to using public transport, on a Sunday, was just the icing on that particular cake. 

I appreciate there will be many different opinions about all of these things but that's just the way I feel about them. I'll still be there on Sunday and at the league matches thereafter by which time I'll have found something else to moan about.

#NoToBTeams