Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Huge congratulations to the team and all connected to the club on guaranteeing Championship football at a minimum next season, and a wee (inter)national trophy in the boardroom as well to keep the NL Cup company.

Running out of positive things to describe this Airdrie team!! 

We play some excellent football but what impressed me more than anything was our work rate off the ball, everytime Raith had Easton or Connelly on the ball there was at least 2/3 players closing them down, it was just a joy to watch.

In the first half especially we played a very good Raith team off the park.

I've went from the start of the season feeling cautiously optimistic about our chances of surviving in the championship to literally fearing no team and just seeing what happens. 

Hopefully see a big turn out for Saturday as it's a massive game. (Although if we can rearrange the game to be played on a Tuesday night that would be great too). 

What can you say,  maximising potential,  punching above our weight,  take your pick or both,   

Preseason target achieved with 4 games to go ,  6 clear in 4TH, with a massive game against our old friends Dunfermline coming up in 3 days,  hopefully we can get a bigger home support,  weirdly our home crowds seem to be very slightly on the dip, not much,  1799 I believe against Morton who brought a decent enough support.... Could be wrong it just seems that way when watching highlights on dtv.

One thing we must avoid this close season,  is teams like Raith cherry picking our players, due to wages,    We are making a helluva lot more prize money and gate money this season,  we cannot be silly with it, but for the club to constantly move forward, we must keep our talent and that will cost money,   PH has done a very good job so far,  how far is he willing to go....

Onwards and upwards..

20 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Would’ve bitten arms off if offered Championship safety with 4 matches to play. Absolutely viewing anything else from here as a bonus, but what a season it’s been.

Need McCabe tied down sooner rather than later… but the boy on Twitter from Consilium giving it “we’re just getting started” fills me with a bit of confidence that he won’t be offski just yet.

Rhys mentioned in an earlier interview, that as a club, they were always planning 6 months ahead therefore I have no doubt that he's already been offered a new deal which includes a clause for "X" amount if an offer comes in which hopefully will be beneficial to both parties.

Pretty sure several players will have been offered deals as well although there's obviously more options for them.

Unrelated note but did anyone else see Tam Courts at the game on Tuesday night, seen him sitting in our end bit odd why he wouldnt just sit in the main stand if he was just there to take the game in.

4 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Unrelated note but did anyone else see Tam Courts at the game on Tuesday night, seen him sitting in our end bit odd why he wouldnt just sit in the main stand if he was just there to take the game in.

Pretty sure he comes along to a few of our games as a guest of some regular fans, I’ve seen him a few times now and surrounded by the same people.

1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:

Pretty sure he comes along to a few of our games as a guest of some regular fans, I’ve seen him a few times now and surrounded by the same people.

Tell you what if someone does come in for McCabe in the summer we could do a lot worse than him as a replacement.

Just now, Diamonds02 said:

Tell you what if someone does come in for McCabe in the summer we could do a lot worse than him as a replacement.

Thinking that myself.

2 hours ago, AJ77 said:

He was in our end at the November game too. Must be a good Airdrie man.

10 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

If I remember right there was chat that he was interested and possibly even interviewed at the time we appointed Murray. He was at Kelty in the lowland league at that time or maybe even just left that position. That’s not important now anyway but I was chatting to a guy at work yesterday (typical old firm fan), he was giving it ‘McCabe is too good for Airdrie’. He’s probably going to become that but I think what a lot of people don’t realise is that as good as McCabe has been for us, we are equally as good for him. It looks like he has full trust and control to just get on with it, he has his own people around about him even the guy from Consillium. I don’t see many other clubs that would allow that.  Further to this and without either jinxing it or getting too far ahead our club is in a very decent position, whether it was by luck, educated decisions or both, who cares?  Our board know that McCabe isn’t going to be around forever and are probably always reassessing the options available to them if and when he moves on, it just seems so calculated. 

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

He was in our end at the November game too. Must be a good Airdrie man.

He sits with our wee group at the games, stays up in Kirkcaldy and has been to all the Raith games, a couple of Dunfermline away days and a few home games too. A lovely guy, big fan of Rhys and the team too. It's always interesting to get his "in match" analysis, very knowledgeable. He'll be back in the game soon no doubt and I for one certainly wouldn't complain if he was our next manager. I like to think we've turned him into a fan!! He keeps coming back so we must be doing something right!

On 10/04/2024 at 10:50, Passionate said:

What can you say,  maximising potential,  punching above our weight,  take your pick or both,   

Preseason target achieved with 4 games to go ,  6 clear in 4TH, with a massive game against our old friends Dunfermline coming up in 3 days,  hopefully we can get a bigger home support,  weirdly our home crowds seem to be very slightly on the dip, not much,  1799 I believe against Morton who brought a decent enough support.... Could be wrong it just seems that way when watching highlights on dtv.

One thing we must avoid this close season,  is teams like Raith cherry picking our players, due to wages,    We are making a helluva lot more prize money and gate money this season,  we cannot be silly with it, but for the club to constantly move forward, we must keep our talent and that will cost money,   PH has done a very good job so far,  how far is he willing to go....

Onwards and upwards..

Re the home crowds, your observation may be true re the Airdrie fans in attendance but the actual total crowd figure including away fans has mainly remained steady for the 2nd fixture - in fact for the Morton game the crowd was higher than the 1st game, same for the Raith and Ayr games too. I think we're around the 1200-1350 for Airdrie fans, depending on the opposition. 

8 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6i43ZNFgt25i7iRiDy0xDj?si=OBjBAZyTQDO32Hi8WuEHO

given the title, I’m sure we wouldn’t be rushing towards this!! 

It’s a really good listen though. Craig Ireland and Craig Easton contributing, summary of every championship club and chat on Airdrie 1 hour in.

It was actually decent and it's always good hearing Craig Easton talking about his younger days supporting the diamonds. Both him and Ireland were knowledgeable about the teams in the league which is more than can be said for the regular hosts. I've listened to a couple of previous episodes, usually just when they've got someone decent on as I really struggle listening to them making shit up. 

14 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

It was actually decent and it's always good hearing Craig Easton talking about his younger days supporting the diamonds. Both him and Ireland were knowledgeable about the teams in the league which is more than can be said for the regular hosts. I've listened to a couple of previous episodes, usually just when they've got someone decent on as I really struggle listening to them making shit up. 

Good lad is Craig and brother Stewart who were regulars on the Albert bus and certainly better behaved than some all of the other patrons. Clarkston boy's but from Chapelhall stock.