Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

9 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

I know it hasn’t really worked out for him this season but I’m still gutted to see him go I can’t lie.

Hope he gets remembered as the modern legend he is.

IMG_3771.png

Gutted but not surprised, he'll go with our best wishes.

So many good memories and goals I won't forget (Falkirk away) glad to see he's got something sorted and will get a good send off whenever our last game is.

Calum Gallagher has given us some unbelievable memories.

The last minute goal vs Falkirk.

The equaliser in the 6-4 game vs Montrose.

The worldie vs Kelty Hearts.

Player of the season last year.

As much as it's the right decision that he's moving onto Arbroath, it's still gutting to be losing such a modern day club legend and such a great guy, as I said on the Arbroath thread, wish him nothing but the best, and hope we give him a massive send off that he deserves, unbelievable servant.

Edited by David Fernández

My all time favourite Airdrie player. I still think his contribution over the last five years is underrated by some, every part-time club would kill for a reliable goalscorer and he’s as good as you’ll get at League One level. It’s telling that he’s off to the biggest part-time team in the country. He has hit his ceiling this season and it feels like a natural endpoint for both parties but I wish him all the best. 

Others have mentioned it but that goal at Falkirk was sensational and felt like the start of the upward trajectory we’ve been on since then. His overall game has improved loads since he joined too, going from a penalty box striker with great movement to a really solid all round striker who can drop deep and link play. Even his yearly miss from a yard out was quite comical given he scored more than enough to make up for it. I think he scored with each thigh in play-offs against Cove and Montrose too :lol: 

I’m glad this has been announced before the end of the season as he deserves a good send off whenever his last game is. A true modern day Airdrie great.

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

My all time favourite Airdrie player. I still think his contribution over the last five years is underrated by some, every part-time club would kill for a reliable goalscorer and he’s as good as you’ll get at League One level. It’s telling that he’s off to the biggest part-time team in the country. He has hit his ceiling this season and it feels like a natural endpoint for both parties but I wish him all the best. 

Others have mentioned it but that goal at Falkirk was sensational and felt like the start of the upward trajectory we’ve been on since then. His overall game has improved loads since he joined too, going from a penalty box striker with great movement to a really solid all round striker who can drop deep and link play. Even his yearly miss from a yard out was quite comical given he scored more than enough to make up for it. I think he scored with each thigh in play-offs against Cove and Montrose too :lol: 

I’m glad this has been announced before the end of the season as he deserves a good send off whenever his last game is. A true modern day Airdrie great.

Absolutey.  Feels like the right move for all parties, and it's good that we'll get the chance to give him a proper send-off.  Hopefully when he scores one with his arse from two metres out at a corner against Queen's Park in 93rd minute.

A dying breed a consistent year in year out Goalscorer,  the club has outgrown Gall and as stated it feels the right time to move on,  he needs to play started the season well and drifted out the side around December, to be fair Todorov, Strav and McGill when fit have done fine...

Moving forward I cannot see us for the foreseeable future signing Part Time players Gall was the last bastion of that era,  so the Hybrid has been and gone,  delving deeper we train Tuesday and Thursday nights which was created for the P T players in the hybrid,  with that now gone will we from next season go back to Full time day time training, this freeing up the stadium for more hires etc,  and more coaching nights for players coaching schools...

11 minutes ago, Passionate said:

A dying breed a consistent year in year out Goalscorer,  the club has outgrown Gall and as stated it feels the right time to move on,  he needs to play started the season well and drifted out the side around December, to be fair Todorov, Strav and McGill when fit have done fine...

Moving forward I cannot see us for the foreseeable future signing Part Time players Gall was the last bastion of that era,  so the Hybrid has been and gone,  delving deeper we train Tuesday and Thursday nights which was created for the P T players in the hybrid,  with that now gone will we from next season go back to Full time day time training, this freeing up the stadium for more hires etc,  and more coaching nights for players coaching schools...

I remember when Leon McCann left us for Falkirk he stated one of the reasons he was keen on the move was that they were fully full time so there was no nighttime training. Far from the biggest contributing factor for players choosing a club to sign for but feels like a step in the right direction given where the club are right now. Gallagher’s been great for us and I’ve always been a fan, but continuing the hybrid model for one part time player who never starts obviously wasn’t going to make sense. Wish him all the best at Arbroath.

I’m excited by the prospect of next season. Obviously promotion would be exciting but if we miss out and keep hold of McCabe and all our best players (and have this season’s additional income to add to the squad) it could be a very good season.

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I’m excited by the prospect of next season. Obviously promotion would be exciting but if we miss out and keep hold of McCabe and all our best players (and have this season’s additional income to add to the squad) it could be a very good season.

A lot of talk about additional income and undoubtedly it's welcome, but I'd imagine it would merely reduce debt. Of course we are in a decent position on and off the field  but clubs at our level simply don't make a profit and as we all know, our chairman keeps all this very close to his chest.

For example, Dunfermline just posted a £1m loss as of May 23 despite winning League 1 and Falkirk 1.2m, and these are clubs with large fan bases. (I believe the Falkirk fans may have mentioned previously)

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

A lot of talk about additional income and undoubtedly it's welcome, but I'd imagine it would merely reduce debt. Of course we are in a decent position on and off the field  but clubs at our level simply don't make a profit and as we all know, our chairman keeps all this very close to his chest.

For example, Dunfermline just posted a £1m loss as of May 23 despite winning League 1 and Falkirk 1.2m, and these are clubs with large fan bases. (I believe the Falkirk fans may have mentioned previously)

We are on course for 299k at present for 4 th place (388k for third) which is a massive increase from last year's 104k in League 1..    figures look good remember though every season all clubs get their prize money split over the season,  example 3 payments of 50k and the final figure decided on league placing,  so a final prize money payment of 149k would be due,   We are definitely in a much better place and get more value for money than Dunfermline and Falkirk who seem to constantly rack up debts with little reward...

I expect the same signing structure to remain in place over the summer,  however frustrating that may be..

Thanks C Gall.

If he'd gone full time I've have kept him, but he needs part time football and the Diamonds are moving on up. I've loved watching him and will miss him being part of our Club.

Red Lichties - you've got a great player.

5 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I expect the same signing structure to remain in place over the summer,  however frustrating that may be..

Decent number of good prospects on Consilium’s books that are out of contract… hoping that we can perhaps sign one or two to bolster the ranks.

14 minutes ago, Passionate said:

We are on course for 299k at present for 4 th place (388k for third) which is a massive increase from last year's 104k in League 1..    figures look good remember though every season all clubs get their prize money split over the season,  example 3 payments of 50k and the final figure decided on league placing,  so a final prize money payment of 149k would be due,   We are definitely in a much better place and get more value for money than Dunfermline and Falkirk who seem to constantly rack up debts with little reward...

388k for fourth, 478k for third.

Screenshot_20240417-170637.png

Edited by cb_diamond

1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

388k for fourth, 478k for third.

Screenshot_20240417-170637.png

Thanks looked at the wrong line, same logic applies...  

Still have to pinch ourselves things were looking pretty bleak at Half time at Hampden against QP at New Year....

6 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

I know it hasn’t really worked out for him this season but I’m still gutted to see him go I can’t lie.

Hope he gets remembered as the modern legend he is.

IMG_3771.png

IMG_4962.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Thanks looked at the wrong line, same logic applies...  

Still have to pinch ourselves things were looking pretty bleak at Half time at Hampden against QP at New Year....

Me and ma mate I go to the games with always refer to that HT as a "sliding doors moment".  for long spells we were looking like favourites to be slugging it out at the bottom, 45 mins later, the rest they say is history.

54 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Me and ma mate I go to the games with always refer to that HT as a "sliding doors moment".  for long spells we were looking like favourites to be slugging it out at the bottom, 45 mins later, the rest they say is history.

It was Toddy missing the sitter (I was calling  him donkey) that day, only for Hancock to equalise from the subsequent corner. Then Toddy beginning his transition to cult hero by a lovely winner.

A great narrative.