Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Can’t say I was arsed at all about finding out the news via Arbroath but good statement from the club on Calum Gallagher. Glad his time at the club will be recognised with being inducted into the hall of fame. We barely had anyone of note in the 2010s, just a blur of mediocrity, but we’ve had plenty of guys we’ll all look fondly on since then as well as true modern day legends like Gallagher and Fordyce. 

3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Arbroath clearly announced it to appease their fans ahead of their meet the manager event which was going to be a shambles

Think this is probably correct, we used to have well meaning amateurs doing a professional job at Gayfield, now we have professionals doing an amateur job

A shame to see Gal move on but no doubt it's the best thing for all parties. Arbroath obviously releasing it to appease the fans a bit which is pretty desperate, but in reality I'm not bothered and think it will give fans a chance to show their appreciation and hopefully give him a boost to get another couple of goals before he leaves.

Along with Fordyce he's the most important player in the club's recent history. The 2 of them were central to turning the club from a useless League 1 side into a promotion chasing side and now Championship side. His first season with us we finished 3rd in the Covid season only 5 points off the top, then 2nd, 2nd, 3rd and reaching 3 play-off finals and ultimately promotion, and now 4th/5th in Championship. When you look where we were in the years before that it's night and day and he's a big part of that. He deserves huge thanks from Airdrie fans and delighted to see he'll be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

9 hours ago, Mr November said:

My all time favourite Airdrie player. I still think his contribution over the last five years is underrated by some, every part-time club would kill for a reliable goalscorer and he’s as good as you’ll get at League One level. It’s telling that he’s off to the biggest part-time team in the country. He has hit his ceiling this season and it feels like a natural endpoint for both parties but I wish him all the best. 

Others have mentioned it but that goal at Falkirk was sensational and felt like the start of the upward trajectory we’ve been on since then. His overall game has improved loads since he joined too, going from a penalty box striker with great movement to a really solid all round striker who can drop deep and link play. Even his yearly miss from a yard out was quite comical given he scored more than enough to make up for it. I think he scored with each thigh in play-offs against Cove and Montrose too :lol: 

I’m glad this has been announced before the end of the season as he deserves a good send off whenever his last game is. A true modern day Airdrie great.

You must be quite young1

Good player, but nowhere near the best striker we have had.

3 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

You must be quite young1

Good player, but nowhere near the best striker we have had.

I started going in 2003, so old enough to have seen some very good Airdrie players but significantly more rubbish ones!

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I started going in 2003, so old enough to have seen some very good Airdrie players but significantly more rubbish ones!

When I started going Davy Mcabe was our top scorer 😅 there's been plenty of good ones, including CG, but I always thought Stevie Cooper was a bit special.

2 minutes ago, Davi3j said:

When I started going Davy Mcabe was our top scorer 😅 there's been plenty of good ones, including CG, but I always thought Stevie Cooper was a bit special.

Owen Coyle, Andy Smith are two good examples of decent Airdrie strikers !

11 hours ago, Mr November said:

Not a criticism, just an observation.

And if you look closely at the picture, you will see Stevie Cooper bearing down on the Celtic goal, in the 1995 Scottish Cup Final.

12 hours ago, Rennieball said:

Who's been better in your 22 year history?

I think in recent history the only other standouts are Ryan Donnelly and Tony Watt? 

Donnelly was more of a half a season wonder but everything he touched went in the back of the net for a while 

1 minute ago, Diamond1924 said:

I think in recent history the only other standouts are Ryan Donnelly and Tony Watt? 

Donnelly was more of a half a season wonder but everything he touched went in the back of the net for a while 

No Andy Ryan or Allan Russell? Could probably put Prunts in that bracket as well.

10 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

No Andy Ryan or Allan Russell? Could probably put Prunts in that bracket as well.

Watt and Donnelly were the first two names that came to my head but sure, Ryan, Russel and Prunty are all worthy mentions

12 hours ago, Davi3j said:

MacCabe was my favourite as a boy,  John Flood was a good partner he scored plenty as well ...   What about Kenny MacDonald. Was he under rated..

It can feel glib to consider a footballer as a 'hero' when you're an adult. And I often baulk when folk consider modern or current players as 'legends'. But I think either of those labels are more than deserved for Gal. Top goalscorer post-2002 by a fair margin but, even beyond the sheer numbers, Gal has been a critical part of our success and transformation on and off the park over the last 5 years. Others have said it but it feels like we've been on an upward trajectory ever since he scored that last minute winner v Falkirk. Still get a buzz in my stomach thinking about that goal, the scenes afterwards and how it almost literally lifted the place. It seemed to give us a belief that we could, finally, compete at the top end of League 1 and get out if it. And (I think) we'd already had the overhead kick v Clyde and lob v Bohemians before that point. 

Wasn't just Airdrie as a club who went on an upward trajectory during Gal's time though. He did too. He'll maybe always 'run funny' but his growth culminated in him becoming the best part-time striker, if not player, in Scotland. 23 goals, including a hat-trick and that goal v Kelty, but his overall hold-up play was outstanding last season and was evidently a key component in us scoring 99 goals and finally getting out of League 1. Being part of that team alone is enough to make him a hero. 

I'm not surprised he's away but that doesn't make me any less gutted. I don't think his numbers are that bad this season. 9 goals and 5(?) assists, with the scope for more, isn't terrible and could arguably make him worthy of a place in a Championship squad. He hasn't really been at the required level though ever since the Queen's Park game and Todorov getting going. And it does not really make sense to have our training days beholden to the needs of one player. But all the same, it's a sad day. 

Delighted that he's going into the Hall of Fame. A more than deserved accolade and acknowledgement of all he's contributed to the club. And I'm pleased for him that he's got a decent move to a level he will still excel at. I just hope he gets more celebratory moment on the park.