Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

McStravick’s not been at any games since his injury (as far as I’ve seen) and is presumably back home in Northern Ireland, is that disrespectful? Obviously not. I hope Josh Rae enjoys his holiday, he’s clearly not fit to play in them whatever happens so I don’t see why it matters at all.

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

McStravick’s not been at any games since his injury (as far as I’ve seen) and is presumably back home in Northern Ireland, is that disrespectful? Obviously not. I hope Josh Rae enjoys his holiday, he’s clearly not fit to play in them whatever happens so I don’t see why it matters at all.

McStravick has had knee surgery as far as I'm aware and is back home so he's got someone to run about after him while he recuperates. He's managed to get along tonight to support his team mates too.

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Great season for the Diamonds ♦️

Let's move swiftly on to the pre-season speculation about signings!!!

Haha was literally about to say is it time for the keep/punt lists yet?

Posted (edited)

Hope we keep player wise (outwith the management team):

Rae (can't see it)

Ballantyne

Watson

Hancock (think offers will come)

Telfer

McMaster (also think offers will come)

Todorov

McGregor 

Frizell (think he may be away)

McStravick (think the injury makes offers less likely)

Would like back:

Lyall

Megwa

Aitken

Might be worth keeping

G Gallagher

Cheerio and thanks:

Donnell

Dunlop 

Taylor Sinclair (as a player)

Hutton (surely retiring)

Fellowes

O'Connor 

Hemfrey (not even as sub keeper)

Edited by cb_diamond

You’d think they’d maybe all feel the same but that felt nowhere near as deflating as the loss to Queen’s Park two years ago. Might’ve felt that way if we’d got all the way to the final but better team won on the night imo, just a shame we never got a better result on Tuesday when we were the better side. Hope we can keep the squad together and get Megwa, Lyall and Aiken back for what will be a really open league next season. Neither Livingston or Falkirk will be as good or as bad as Dundee United or Arbroath were and it’s anyone’s guess how the final table will look next season

Obviously delighted we beat you lot but just wanted to say that McCabe has done a magnificent job and very very few people had you in the promotion play offs at the beginning of the season. The brand of football you play is a lot of fun to watch 

It’s never nice to lose a play-off, we know that more than anyone, but hard to feel too down about tonight. Ultimately we saw what we’ve seen all season, not a huge amount between two good teams but Thistle just having a slight edge on us. Put Brian Graham in our team and we win that. 

Ultimately it’s been a fantastic season, literally the best in the 21 years I’ve been supporting Airdrie. Making the promotion play-offs, winning the Challenge Cup, beating multiple top flight teams in the cup, a decent run in the Scottish Cup and the only team in the country to win all their League Cup group stage games and only narrowly losing out in the next round. Hard to argue with that being anything other than a huge success for our first season in this league in a decade. I didn’t expect this last August but it’s been really fun supporting Airdrie this season to be honest. It has been for a few years now, I’ve said it before but I don’t think there’s been a more fun club to support in Scotland in the 2020s.

29 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Rae (can't see it)

Ballantyne

Watson

Telfer

Todorov

McGregor 

Would like back:

Lyall

Megwa

Aitken

Might be worth keeping

G Gallagher

Cheerio and thanks:

Donnell

Dunlop 

Hutton (surely retiring)

Fellowes

O'Connor 

Well Done Partick Thistle 

30 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Rae (can't see it)

Ballantyne

Watson

Telfer

Todorov

McGregor 

Would like back:

Lyall

Megwa

Aitken

Might be worth keeping

G Gallagher

Cheerio and thanks:

Donnell

Dunlop 

Hutton (surely retiring)

Fellowes

O'Connor 

Well Done Partick Thistle 

Very much agree about this not being nearly as hard to take as previous play off defeats, when Frizz wasnt playing it always looked like a game to far. Best season for over 20 years especially given limited resources, well done to everyone at the club.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Rae (can't see it)

Ballantyne

Watson

Telfer

Todorov

McGregor 

Would like back:

Lyall

Megwa

Aitken

Might be worth keeping

G Gallagher

Cheerio and thanks:

Donnell

Dunlop 

Hutton (surely retiring)

Fellowes

O'Connor 

Agree with this and would add Gabby onto the keep list. As you say with a few of these I think Frizz and Rae will leave especially f contracts up, Hancock and Telfer must have caught the eys of a fe teams as well. Hopefully we can keep a core of players together and add wisely both in terms of signings and loan players. Most important thing is to keep the management team but i'm sure those responsible for that know this already and will do all they can.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Great season for the Diamonds ♦️

Let's move swiftly on to the pre-season speculation about signings!!!

We could’ve been doing with that West Ham striker tonight for Todorovs chance.

25 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Agree with this and would add Gabby onto the keep list. As you say with a few of these I think Frizz and Rae will leave especially f contracts up, Hancock and Telfer must have caught the eys of a fe teams as well. Hopefully we can keep a core of players together and add wisely both in terms of signings and loan players. Most important thing is to keep the management team but i'm sure those responsible for that know this already and will do all they can.

It's up to the club to man up, and give decent offers to our better players,  we have made decent money all things considered,   Are they willing to break the wage structure though,  IMO,  yes the club has naturally grown in the last few years,  but next season looks even more ruthless than this...

1 minute ago, Passionate said:

next season looks even more ruthless than this.

Agree with this, there doesn't look like there will be an obvious candidate for going down unless maybe Inverness lose the playoff and a part time team comes up so it woud be easy to go down with quite a high points total, another big season for the club, can we kick on and establish ourselves in the championship, with the right recruitment and investmens we can.

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Rae (can't see it)

Ballantyne

Watson

Telfer

Todorov

McGregor 

Would like back:

Lyall

Megwa

Aitken

Might be worth keeping

G Gallagher

Cheerio and thanks:

Donnell

Dunlop 

Hutton (surely retiring)

Fellowes

O'Connor 

Pretty much agree except for hemfrey. If the only thing wrong with a sub keeper is being a bit tentative from cross balls that’s quite good going imo. Also he’s young, plenty of time to improve.