Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, Arab_R_us said:

Mochrie was in a moon boot last game of the season for us so has probably missed pre-season training.

He came on for about 25 minutes and looked decent (who wouldn't though 8zip up) big unit is Mochrie, personally have high hopes for him this season..

53 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Agree that Frizz probably wasn't at his best in the last game (or at least there were others that outperformed him), but he still played a lovely ball over to McGregor that won us the penalty, and delivered the corner that Hancock scored from. Definitely would have liked to see him show the composure of Wilson and McGregor for the shot he ballooned over the bar, but he wasn't bad by any stretch.

And competition for places can only be a good thing.

Yeah, he’s been a stick on to start for the past few seasons but can see him losing his place to one of the new boys. Is it just me or does he look tired? 

31 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Yeah, he’s been a stick on to start for the past few seasons but can see him losing his place to one of the new boys. Is it just me or does he look tired? 

Frizz is a great player,  iMO probably playing at his max level,  main issue is, he struggles to do the 90 and lacks pace, in a heavy game he is blowing after an hour or so,  if the team and new players evolve like we hope and expect !   Frizz could struggle,  the skippers armband could save him though....    Will be a very interesting initial few weeks while the team settles...

Todorov gone, wasn’t expecting that but I’m not overly surprised to be honest. That should free up a wage to bolster defence hopefully. Wish the guy well.

Loved big Toddy last season, was getting ready for a goalfest season with him, Mochrie, Wilson up front.  Kinda gutted but expecting we’ll be replacing him somehow.  Anyone know where he’s off to and why he’s leaving? 

Todorov going is a bit of a shock. He seemed pretty happy at Airdrie, so would be odd to move to another club in this league not long after signing a new contract, but hopefully there’s nothing serious going on that’s required him to move on. The club tweeting a montage of his time doesn’t imply he’s off to another club in Scotland. Certainly wish him all the best.

Took me a while to warm to Todorov but he did very well in the second half of last season and seemed like a good guy too. I was never convinced that he was an ideal fit for McCabeball, even in the more direct evolution we’ve seen, but it still leaves us pretty light up front now.

Edited by Mr November

Big man gave 100% every week, sometimes had the touch of an elephant and not quite sure he fits in with the McCabe system but gutted to see him go. Looked like he enjoyed it and scored some big goals for us. Hope he doesn't come back to bite us

7 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Todorov gone, wasn’t expecting that but I’m not overly surprised to be honest. That should free up a wage to bolster defence hopefully. Wish the guy well.

To free up wages for Joe McKee or Cammy Smith obviously 

I’m glad it was his decision and he’s left on good terms. He could definitely still do a job at this level and I’m convinced if he started the whole of last season he would have scored a lot more. 

Selfishly though, I hope he goes to a top end league 1 club as he would definitely score against us in the championship.

Gutted. The definition of a big game player.

Edited by Diamonds02

Gutted! Still think he would have got plenty of game time and goals. Already thought we needed another forward so think that is definitely the case now. Can’t have Cooper and Reid as the only proper backup centre forwards to Wilson. 

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Agree that Frizz probably wasn't at his best in the last game (or at least there were others that outperformed him), but he still played a lovely ball over to McGregor that won us the penalty, and delivered the corner that Hancock scored from. Definitely would have liked to see him show the composure of Wilson and McGregor for the shot he ballooned over the bar, but he wasn't bad by any stretch.

And competition for places can only be a good thing.

Any word on Toddy is he away,,??

Well thats annoying, looked like a solid if inexperienced squad for the season other than missing a centre back, and now we are missing experience up front again.

Wonder if we have someone ready to come in or have been offered a loan striker...seems strange to let toddy go and leave ourselves a bit short. Or is Rhys freeing up funds for a centre half 

1 minute ago, ElDiamondo said:

Wonder if we have someone ready to come in or have been offered a loan striker...seems strange to let toddy go and leave ourselves a bit short. Or is Rhys freeing up funds for a centre half 

Would say centre half is more needed atm, would like to see reid get a few games and if he doesn’t look up to it can always try loan a striker in September.

On the surface it all seems very amicable and perhaps its simply the case that Ben Wilson will be numero uno up front and with the glut of midfielders we have there wasn't going to be many opportunities for him to start games.

Of course it might be that we can use the funds better elsewhere so I'm expecting a signing shortly.