Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Utterly dreadful from start to finish. Watson as poor a half as he’ll have had, Mochrie and McGrattan offered zero (again), we got ripped down the left hand side time after time in the first half and didn’t learn, struggled to keep the ball for any time at all. I could go on. 

Against Aberdeen we struggled for the first 30 mins of the 2nd half when they played a high press, Ayr did the same tonight and we looked absolutely lost. We need to be able to adapt or find a plan B. 

35 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Lots of poor individual performances but for me that game is on the management. Dreadful organisation and seemed to think that we'd just be able to pass the ball about at our leisure without Ayr putting any pressure on us.

I thought towards the back end of last season we'd worked out how to be a bit more pragmatic away from home but that tonight was like going back to McCabe's first season where we were naive and soft. Too many players wanting too much time on the ball and not willing to do the dirty side of the game.

Agree with this. It’s not difficult to know how Ayr are going to play. They pretty much bypass the midfield completely, it was almost a 5-0-5 at times, but they were always going to have two big strikers pressing our defence, two wide players looking to get forward and a very attacking midfielder too. To not set up for that at all was bizarre. 

I couldn’t really work out our shape for the first half hour, seemed like a lopsided team with Hancock on his own on the left, Mochrie basically as a striker and McGrattan somewhere in between a wing-back and a midfielder. I was confused and the players didn’t seem to understand it much better. That maybe works against East Kilbride but not against an experienced, physical team with quality across the park. It seemed like the gameplan was to take our time and pass through Ayr but as much as I don’t really like the phrase ‘earn the right to play’, that game was probably a good example of it. Bullied all over the park for 90 minutes.

The good thing is McCabe normally does learn from these games. We tend to get humped at least once a season under him and things normally improve afterwards. A shame that we have the cup game next week, as Queen’s Park would have been a better test to bounce back from that.

16 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Agree with this. It’s not difficult to know how Ayr are going to play. They pretty much bypass the midfield completely, it was almost a 5-0-5 at times, but they were always going to have two big strikers pressing our defence, two wide players looking to get forward and a very attacking midfielder too. To not set up for that at all was bizarre. 

I couldn’t really work out our shape for the first half hour, seemed like a lopsided team with Hancock on his own on the left, Mochrie basically as a striker and McGrattan somewhere in between a wing-back and a midfielder. I was confused and the players didn’t seem to understand it much better. That maybe works against East Kilbride but not against an experienced, physical team with quality across the park. It seemed like the gameplan was to take our time and pass through Ayr but as much as I don’t really like the phrase ‘earn the right to play’, that game was probably a good example of it. Bullied all over the park for 90 minutes.

The good thing is McCabe normally does learn from these games. We tend to get humped at least once a season under him and things normally improve afterwards. A shame that we have the cup game next week, as Queen’s Park would have been a better test to bounce back from that.

Spot on. Some players looked hopeless and I'm not removing all blame on them, but the chances of everyone having an off-night on the same night by coincidence are next to nil, a poor set-up and gameplan will make most players look rubbish. Ayr knew we weren't going to go direct over the top so were able to push their back line up to halfway and keep us in our own half. For me in games like that early on you need to play for territory a bit more, work your way into the game and then try and play when the game settles down a bit.

Everyone can see we need another centre-back, but my big worry from tonight is how soft we are in midfield. McMaster, Aiken, Armstrong, Mochrie and McGrattan through the middle of that team isn't going to cut it physically in tough away games. 

That could & should've been about 10..I backed Airdrie as well but that was a complete dismantling by fast in yer face football...I'm genuinely stunned by that Airdrie performance...why did McCabe drop himself cause they needed someone to put a foot on the ball & sort it out 

Right Airdrie that was shameful from start to finish, so many questions,  but, the main ones on Facebook etc are Mochrie and McGrattan are a disgrace,   open your eyes FFS,  let's try and get to the bottom of this clusterf**k,   Let's go back to team selection,  Rhys who was outstanding last week,  doesn't play, is he scared of big bad George Oakley,    From the first minute, we were getting rode down the RHS with McDonald the right back know where near his opponent, this continued the whole game,  he is out his depth, and I have been saying it for weeks,  I got into a heated discussion on the shed regarding the lad,  and I got the he gives a 100 percent all the time,  but 100 percent of nothing is nothing.....  Let's be fair the rest of the defence and midfield were hopeless,  McMaster as ever, was poor and passed into trouble constantly, a player who excels when we are on top, but hopelessly hides and passes the buck when things go against him.. This is the lad we think we will get money for ???,  not just deano Aiken was equally bad if not worse and just looks like a lost boy,    We made changes at Half time Watson was binned,  ok Rhys on you come son,  no MacDonald you go onto centre half, and I will bring a young back up left back on at right wing back in Cammy Bruce,  a promising lad who was completely hung out to dry by his manager...

F.rizzell and Terrell were 'injured' apparently, both when brought on at Half time played and fought well,  could they have started Rhys....

Or is there something else going on here, is this a sliding doors moment for Rhys ,  it is obvious we are short at RB, CB and up front,  Rhys stated at the 1924 event he wanted a squad of 24 to compete for the title,  Rhys is a clever guy, no doubt he will be knocking on PH door saying thats what we need,  if i was PH i would be asking why when you have a squad of 22....  Could it be that if he doesn't get what he wants to improve the squad, then the club might not be matching his ambitions .....

I have got no doubt Raith Rovers will have an interest in McCabe,    surely he hasn't scuttled his own ship for his own gain,   we will find out soon enough,

It's a funny old game....

Since Rhys has taken over, we’ve always had a stinker of a result in the early season. Think Edinburgh City 7-0, Arbroath last season. It happens, and Rhys manages to go away, lick his wounds and turn it around.

Whats worrying is that with a few injuries the team looks pretty much inept & totally stunted. Also worrying was when Ayr had their full team bar the centre backs breaking on Aiken, McMaster and the back four, only for Mochrie and McGrattan to stand and watch it unfold.

Others have alluded to it but really hope this is the rocket up the arse that the boys that have come from lower levels need. 

I think everyone needs to calm down. We were shite but ayr were absolutely tremendous. We need a couple of more signings. Hopefully this accelerates it. There was no structure to the team but hopefully Rhys learns from it. 

Airdrieonians are my least favourite team in football, outside your ugly neebours. As an Ayr fan, I could come on here and try take the piss, but most of us Ayr fans, even after the dust has settled will agree that's one of the best Ayr performances in the past 20yrs, especially at home. 

A lot of us looked enviously at yous and what Mcabe was putting together, until Broon came in. I personally feel, he'll be away to Raith within the week, for your sake, and our own... I hope that's not true. We're in for some Championship this season regardless. See you all in October.

Edited by F.T.O.F.1910

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

I have got no doubt Raith Rovers will have an interest in McCabe,    surely he hasn't scuttled his own ship for his own gain,   we will find out soon enough,

It's a funny old game....

That’s quite the leap. Surely it’s more likely McCabe as a makeshift centre half in the latter stages of his career didn’t fancy the physicality of the Ayr strikers. Especially after coming off with cramp in only his 2nd game (don’t think he even played any pre season friendlies) in 5 months. We are absolutely crying out for another centre half as you say. Last night had a familiarity about it (the way the game went, Watson performance, Ayrs style of play and physicality etc).

I think you’re a bit harsh on MacDonald btw. He’s raw and learning. However he’s been fine in other games - Raith dnd Aberdeen for instance. So there’s something there. And for it was the left hand side we particularly got ripped apart  on last night. A mix of team selection and Hancock not having his best game (the latter in part not helped by the former). I'm not saying Macdonald played well by any stretch though!!

for Mochrie and McGratton, they look miles off at the moment but it’s unfair to judge so early on - and I’ve not been at all the games.  However they’ve not contributed much have they (without sounding Facebook like!)? McGratton in particular - hooked after an hour on Saturday and 45 minutes last night. Lewis McGregor looks much more effective. 

edited to add 8 new players from last season started last night and we came up against an inspired Ayr team. As is said earlier, we picked the wrong team. Plenty to work on and we’re going to take time to gel. 

Edited by Airdrie76

5 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

That’s quite the leap. Surely it’s more likely McCabe as a makeshift centre half in the latter stages of his career didn’t fancy the physicality of the Ayr strikers. Especially after coming off with cramp in only his 2nd game (don’t think he even played any pre season friendlies) in 5 months. We are absolutely crying out for another centre half as you say. Last night had a familiarity about it (the way the game went, Watson performance, Ayrs style of play and physicality etc).

I think you’re a bit harsh on MacDonald btw. He’s raw and learning. However he’s been fine in other games - Raith dnd Aberdeen for instance. So there’s something there. And for it was the left hand side we particularly got ripped apart  on last night. A mix of team selection and Hancock not having his best game (the latter in part not helped by the former). I'm not saying Macdonald played well by any stretch though!!

for Mochrie and McGratton, they look miles off at the moment but it’s unfair to judge so early on - and I’ve not been at all the games.  However they’ve not contributed much have they (without sounding Facebook like!)? McGratton in particular - hooked after an hour on Saturday and 45 minutes last night. Lewis McGregor looks much more effective. 

All three of our goals in the second half came from your right hand side when McDonald was trying (very badly) to play at centre back and the boy that came on to play right back didn’t know what day it was. 

Hancock was poor in the first half but funnily enough Brown singled him out in our pre match interview saying that we all know about Hancock as Brown played with him at Aberdeen. 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

All three of our goals in the second half came from your right hand side when McDonald was trying (very badly) to play at centre back and the boy that came on to play right back didn’t know what day it was. 

Hancock was poor in the first half but funnily enough Brown singled him out in our pre match interview saying that we all know about Hancock as Brown played with him at Aberdeen. 

I don’t think MacDonald played well. Completely agree. And the point about him being moved to centre back is completely valid  - and unfair on him. He’s still trying to find his feet. He’s been fine in some, struggled a bit in others. Playing him out of position isn’t smart. 

Edited by Airdrie76

12 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

MacDonald struggled last night but I agree with you, he’s largely been better than I expected so far. Is he a downgrade on Megwa? Obviously, but for a player who has only really played for a dominant Lowland League team he’s shown up pretty well so far. We were up against it for 90 minutes last night, something he’s probably never experienced before in senior football, so easy to see why he could struggle. An on form Murphy, Dowds and Oakley is a tough test for any defender at this level nevermind someone making a massive jump up.

My main issue with McGrattan is I don’t really see what he offers that our other midfielders don’t. He’s not very quick, is decent on the ball but doesn’t offer as much off it as Frizzell, Armstrong, McGregor, even Agyemang. Early days but I’m not sure he imposes himself on the game at all. 

11 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Men vs boys tonight, an absolute humbling tonight. Murray Johnston saved it from being double figures, watson mcgrattan Aiken and mochrie need a few weeks on the bench. Pathetic performance.

McGrattan spent most of his Morton career on the bench.

Real worrying signs from some our squad last night but let’s not kid on we’ve not been here before. 

I’m particularly concerned about the early season form of McMaster who seems to get a free ride from most of our support. Last season he had a similar run of form which thankfully picked up towards the end of the season but he has to do so much more me. That being said last nights line up really didn't help him, I think it’s got to be one or the other when it come to selecting either himself and Aiken. 

McGrattan and Mochrie look so far of the pace it’s quite unbelievable at times and I think it really hampered the midfields ability to assert themselves on the game and Ayr took full advantage of that to their credit. Once the midfield lost out like they did on so many occasions it really exposed our backline which many of us have been saying needs real attention. Hancock is largely fine but again was really exposed as he was our only real attacking threat (if there was one) which led to Wilson over compensating to cover the left. Then we come to Watson… he’s never going to be a CB and I’m not really sure he has the legs this season to be a main stay in the team out on the right either, I feel for him a bit because there have been countless occasions in McCabe's tenure that he’s been asked to fill in there and more often than not he plays a stinker- most recently at Dumbarton. McDonald for me the jury is still out, can he consistently play at the level required for championship football? I hope so but I’m not sure at this early stage. 

The second half we started ‘well’ on the front foot but were so easily picked off on our right hand side it was beggars belief. It looked a similar set up which exposed us so ridiculously at Dumbarton with us going to wing backs that start just about on the half way line and then end of the half way line. Bruce offered absolutely no protection to McDonald and it showed in the same way Watson never got protection at Dumbarton. These are clear patterns of play that if the average punter in the stand can see then coaches of the opposition will to. 

I hope this is as big a wake up call in the same way Edinburgh City and Arbroath were but time will tell.

On a side note, if anyone wants cheering up there are some comedy threads on that abomination Facebook group. Particular highlights were from the usual suspects.

Didn’t think we were that good last week. Great win of course but Raith were really poor and it took bringing McGregor on to give us a bit of energy and I don’t think we’d have scored without that sub. Last week we started in a 4231 with two players who aren’t wingers out wide and both were ineffectual and hooked for a change of shape. Last night we started with a similar shape (albeit with MacDonald tucked in and Hancock pushing higher up). During the League Cup games McCabe favoured a front two and a midfield diamond. With McGregor injured and seemingly nobody that can step up to replace him (Reid and Cooper left on the bench in favour of a change of shape) it’s like we’re playing with 8 men as the wide men (who aren’t wide men) are ineffectual and the striker (Wilson) is completely isolated.

I think there’s clearly positions that still need bodies in. If we’re playing with wingers we need to actually sign wingers and not just play centre mids there. Ben Wilson has no backup whatsoever and with McGregor out he doesn’t even have someone that can play with him in a front two. We played the second half last night with a left back at right back and a right back at centre back. We mostly all agree that centre back is our biggest priority at the moment but right back might be a problem as well. I like MacDonald enough but are we really going into the season with a young full back we signed from the Lowland League who has no proper backup? And apparently he’s one of our centre back options too? It might seem mad but I think we still need four players in. Right back, centre back, winger and centre forward.

That's the kind of game we will miss Charlie Telfer breaking up the play in support of the defence in the corners. I saw Hancock having a go at Mochrie for not covering back but Ayr just overpowered us for 90 minutes. The most worrying thing for me is we did not score a goal. Not only were we bossed when they went forward they stopped us playing when we had the ball.

That is one up to Brown and will show anyone trying to poach a manager that he is a better bet than Rhys. 

I agree with those that are concerned with both Mochrie and McGrattan, but do remember when Telfer joined, he also looked well off the pace, and Rhys simply dropped him until he improved, at which point he returned, and made a terrific contribution, hopoefully at least one of Mochrie and McGrattan can do the same.

One other concern I have is Agyemangs tendency to make desperate lunge tackles, and get himself booked, if he does not moderate those lunges he will be sent off before long, and we all know what our record is like when we go down to 10 men. I should stress that apart from his wild tackles, I think Agyemang has been one of our best players so far.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

In amongst a sea of shite I thought the guy Agyemang looked like he had something about him.  

Apart from when he was shooting, obviously.