Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

5 minutes ago, Mr November said:

The main thing for me is that if we have offered Watson more than one year then I guess we might have done the same for Frizzell, Gallagher, McGill etc? Obviously we need to see how these players adapt to the step up but I think it’s a gamble worth taking.

Yeah surely we've offered Frizz and Gabby 2 years as well

11 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Interesting wrinkle to today’s news. Watson would probably have been somebody I’d have wanted to improve on if we do stay up. But I suppose you look at the squad continuity Arbroath have had and can’t argue it hasn’t worked for them. One of our more experienced players now too and always comes across as a good pro and leader so fair enough from that perspective also. 

IMG_9487.png

Assuming it's a multiple year deal going by his post. I don't really get why the club are always reluctant to release the length of deals we have with players.

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Assuming it's a multiple year deal going by his post. I don't really get why the club are always reluctant to release the length of deals we have with players.

Might be based on clauses.

Like it's 1 year with the clubs option to extend. 

I think that's a great signing. He's not the best technically but he's a real handful as he showed every time he played against us and offers us a physical option for games when Gallagher is struggling. We will need a bit more physicality and height going up a level, so Todorov seems a good fit for that. I'm not sure he's a great fit our our style of play but McCabe was clearly getting a bit more streetwise as the season progressed and having options to change it is really important. 

9 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think that's a great signing. He's not the best technically but he's a real handful as he showed every time he played against us and offers us a physical option for games when Gallagher is struggling. We will need a bit more physicality and height going up a level, so Todorov seems a good fit for that. I'm not sure he's a great fit our our style of play but McCabe was clearly getting a bit more streetwise as the season progressed and having options to change it is really important. 

Agree wholeheartedly, will be interesting to see how this impacts on the formation/tactics. He won't work in a fast, flowing front three.

Peter Grant tried him in a 3 against jobbers in the league cup group stage and it worked well, disaster in the championship. His goals to minutes ratio last season was really impressive, probably highest in the league (I've not checked)

Superb bit of business from the club, that. Had an excellent season last term, especially considering he wasn’t always first choice at Dunfermline, and he caused us no end of problems.

Think what we need to remember is that, as excellent as Gal has and will hopefully continue to be for us, he’s now the only PT player in a FT squad and the only recognised central striker we had before Todorov - it would be hugely unrealistic to expect him to lead the line by himself for the whole campaign, especially when you consider that this will be the first time he’s been at this level for a number of years. In addition, this gives us a different option from Gal, which I definitely think we lacked last season, so it’s a shrewd move by Rhys. 

Decent first signing day since the squad update I’d say, although wouldn’t say no to a Gabby/Frizz re-signing tonight! 

49 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Agreed, much needed height added today.

very pleased with the Todorov signing, I think it shows McCabe is being realistic about what is needed to battle away in the championship, a few more signings like that and retaining Friz and Gabby and things would be as well set as they can be. Also good to be making a new signing fairly early this year.