Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

The wee guys of twitter will be wetting themselves. 'AMAZING SIGNING!!!'... based on what? 

Will be interesting to see how the young guy develops but it's certainly not the type of signing I was expecting after reading the latest interview from McCabe. Best of luck to the guy though.

Dont think he will be a starter , maybe one we will be look to develop over a season or two, all the best to him.

However...

Announce Gabby , and over the next 2 weeks get some championship level players in. 

Ally roy, Kurtis Roberts, Paul Mckay...time to come home lads

3 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

The wee guys of twitter will be wetting themselves. 'AMAZING SIGNING!!!'... based on what? 

Will be interesting to see how the young guy develops but it's certainly not the type of signing I was expecting after reading the latest interview from McCabe. Best of luck to the guy though.

yep, already "What a signing!" never even heard of the boy.  underwhelmed

Since we're running a reserves squad again this season for the first time since Covid it might be that our squad will be a bit bigger than you'd expect. I'm fine with it as long as it isn't detrimental to the first team squad and as long as we aren't planning to rely on 17 year olds for the first team. Bigger signings definitely still needed.

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Who is going to loan us a goalie to sit on the bench all season? And what goalie would want to be loaned out to sit on the bench? It defeats the purpose of a loan.

I think it will be very difficult for us to get anyone. Some clubs might use the carrot of becoming a goalie coach to get them to sign up as number 2, but we've already done that with Hutton.

Simple solution is bin Hutts and bring in a new No.2/goalie coach!

7 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Was captain at St mirren 18s aswell was highly rated 

Seems he was just an academy player and not even a pro at St Mirren so definitely not that highly rated. In saying that lets hope he kicks on and makes a name for himself but unlikely he's going to see much 1st team action this season.

Underwhelming. But I expect he'll almost exclusively be with the reserves this season so I'm not hugely bothered either way. If he can contribute from the squad or beyond that then even better. That'll be nice bonus. McCabe is quick to get rid of you if you're not cutting it so if he's not good enough, I don't think we'll see anything of him at all. Clearly need more quality and experience across the park. Which going by the tenor of McCabe's recent press interview he agrees with. Hopefully that will come soon. 

To be worth signing these types of players they either need to be immediately ready to play (unlikely) or be on a long enough contract to make it worth investing in them.

Last season we signed players and were told they were 'one for the future', yet they were given a 6 month/1 year contract and never got near the team, which makes signing them utterly pointless because if they turn out to be any good they'll leave for someone else. If we don't think they are worth at least 2 years at that age then I'd really question why we are signing them.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

6 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That highly rated he slinked off to Airdrie.  Who rated him highly btw?

Are we really going with the logic of he joined us so he must shite?

Of course players that are let go from premiership youth academies never do well later in their career do they?

Just now, Vegetableman said:

Euan Deveney signs for Alloa, opinions ?

oh and a belated congratulations on your promotion 

good luck and stay ther please .   🙂

I thought he might end up at Alloa when Church left, quite similar players. Deveney had a decent season overall, just not ready to step up a level yet. He was very hit and miss, rarely average. He hadn’t played much senior football before joining Airdrie but it felt like he let mistakes go to his head but when he’s confident and on form he’s a good attacking left back. He chipped in with a few assists, his crossing can be wayward at times but he puts in some great balls, and scored one of the goals of the season in a great team move up at Montrose.

I doubt you’ll find many Airdrie fans who don’t wish him well, he certainly put in a lot of effort, just lacked quality in key moments at times but if he gets a decent run in the team he’ll do well.

2 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I thought he might end up at Alloa when Church left, quite similar players. Deveney had a decent season overall, just not ready to step up a level yet. He was very hit and miss, rarely average. He hadn’t played much senior football before joining Airdrie but it felt like he let mistakes go to his head but when he’s confident and on form he’s a good attacking left back. He chipped in with a few assists, his crossing can be wayward at times but he puts in some great balls, and scored one of the goals of the season in a great team move up at Montrose.

I doubt you’ll find many Airdrie fans who don’t wish him well, he certainly put in a lot of effort, just lacked quality in key moments at times but if he gets a decent run in the team he’ll do well.

Sounds very much like church then in a way , Cheers and thanks for the reply