Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

A genuine question: why is it that this element seems to be prominent within the Airdrie support, more so than other similarly sized Scottish clubs? That’s not to say that others don’t have racist fans or incidents, because of course they do, but it does seem that it’s a disproportionate issue at Airdrie - shit like the ‘Stop the boats’ flag just doesn’t seem like it would happen at other clubs. Is there something in the town or clubs history that has lead to this? 

I’m aware that the vast majority of your fans on here will be perfectly decent human beings, and I’m not trying to tar you all with the same brush. 

21 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

A genuine question: why is it that this element seems to be prominent within the Airdrie support, more so than other similarly sized Scottish clubs? That’s not to say that others don’t have racist fans or incidents, because of course they do, but it does seem that it’s a disproportionate issue at Airdrie - shit like the ‘Stop the boats’ flag just doesn’t seem like it would happen at other clubs. Is there something in the town or clubs history that has lead to this? 

I’m aware that the vast majority of your fans on here will be perfectly decent human beings, and I’m not trying to tar you all with the same brush. 

The answer is that Airdrie as a town has a much higher concentration of people who subscribe to what they would term "protestant" ideas ( although they would undoubtedly pronounce it "proDestant" and not actually understand much about the actual basis of the religion they trumpet so very loudly) than most other similar sized towns in Scotland, in the same way. Not that I'm attacking presbyterianism as a concept, but most of these folks don't even realize that that's what they would be termed as. What that looks like in a relatively poor, slightly backwards town in West Central Scotland in 2024 is orange walks/lodges, rampant unionism and ideas verging towards the right of the political spectrum. This is also a historical thing with neighbouring Coatbridge being the flip of this coin. As you say, the vast, overwhelming majority are not like this (sevco have hoovered up the majority of the folk described above) but there's enough left to have become a vocal problematic minority in our support.

TL:DR Airdrie as a town is a microcosm of the Orange Walk/Scottish Cricket thread.

Edited by cb_diamond

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

So so disappointed to hear that another player has been racially abused by a so called Airdrie fan. Hope the EK player is doing okay.

I genuinely think Airdrie has more scumbags per capita than any other town in Scotland. There also seems to be this attitude that you can get away with being an absolute bigot due to the clubs embarrassing association with the even more embarrassing section B.

There’s some seriously backwards people in today’s world but Airdrie unfortunately seems to house a lot of them. Why is this? I don’t know but the key to solving a lot of these issues is education.

24 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I genuinely think Airdrie has more scumbags per capita than any other town in Scotland. There also seems to be this attitude that you can get away with being an absolute bigot due to the clubs embarrassing association with the even more embarrassing section B.

There’s some seriously backwards people in today’s world but Airdrie unfortunately seems to house a lot of them. Why is this? I don’t know but the key to solving a lot of these issues is education.

As someone who lives outside Airdrie, i can attest that there is a high amount of scumbags in other towns across the central belt. Our problem is our proportion continue to aspire to a distorted image of the 80's/ 90's Section B. It seemed we were getting away from that image, then the "fallen soldiers" flag appeared.

A green and gold away top next year,  Airdrie Antifascista shirts in the shop and run out to "come out ye black and tans". That'll flush the fukwits out, and maybe open the door to the other 50% of the area.

Edited by Mingus2000

50 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I suspect the answer lies before I was born but thankfully just like the aforementioned flag, swift action has been taken. With the amount of lifetime bans given out by the club there really can’t be many of these people left in the ground. These people are very stupid by nature and can’t seem to help outing themselves at some point.

22 minutes ago, Mingus2000 said:

As someone who lives outside Airdrie, i can attest that there is a high amount of eejits in other towns across the central belt. Our problem is our proportion still aspires to a distorted image of the 80's/ 90's Section B. It seemed we were getting away from that image, then the "fallen soldiers" flag appeared.

A green and gold away top next year,  Airdrie Antifascista shirts in the shop and run out to "come out ye black and tans". That'll flush the fukwits out, and maybe open the door to the other 50% of the area.

Are the only options hitler or Stalin?

11 hours ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

Oh dear that was a real low on Saturday indeed, Bullied and outplayed by East Kilbride and knocked out the cup we so brilliantly won last year. Complete moron running on the park to admittedly fight with a bigger moron of a player and to top it off an absolute idiot in the crowd starts to racially abuse the East Kilbride player, Unacceptable and more damage done to the clubs reputation. 

By the looks of things we only have 12 or 13 players available so will be interesting to see how this plays out this week and if we get any injured players back or dip into the free agents market, bring loanees back or promote some academy players. 

As for the cries to sack the manager, I don't think we are at that stage at all yet but he needs to turn things around quickly and find a way to get the players he does have going. 

They say this is the spooky season well let me tell you I have the fear.  

Manager hinted that McGregor should be back next week but doesn't look good for Hancock and possibly Bruce as well!

McGregor should indeed be back next week, as per his mum at the game on Saturday.  I like McGregor and think he improves the team when he's in it, but we can't expect him to turn around our form on his own.  Last season he was a good option to have but not an automatic first pick by any means. 

To be fair to McGrattan, and I think we've probably all been pretty critical of him so far, I thought he did reasonably well on Saturday.  Not a barnstorming performance by any means, but did well in the leadup to our goal.

15 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

So so disappointed to hear that another player has been racially abused by a so called Airdrie fan. Hope the EK player is doing okay.

Name and shame,

18 hours ago, Mingus2000 said:

As someone who lives outside Airdrie, i can attest that there is a high amount of scumbags in other towns across the central belt. Our problem is our proportion continue to aspire to a distorted image of the 80's/ 90's Section B. It seemed we were getting away from that image, then the "fallen soldiers" flag appeared.

The green and gold shirts may be a stretch too far :) The only practical solution in my opinion for fans who oppose the right-wing union flag brigade is to purchase flags that show us in a more inclusive light and sit right next to them home and away. That might include AFC flags, Scotland flags and Gay pride union flags. :)

1 hour ago, Diamond72 said:

The green and gold shirts may be a stretch too far :) The only practical solution in my opinion for fans who oppose the right-wing union flag brigade is to purchase flags that show us in a more inclusive light and sit right next to them home and away. That might include AFC flags, Scotland flags and Gay pride union flags. :)

Here's a flag that would fit your idea and it does have a red diamond! 😉

image.png.8e00e14a14e3ca51ae64c4d62cda5552.png

33 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

Random question, did Gabby McGill find another club? Always thought he was a decent player

His name has frequently came up recently and it appears he has not signed with anyone. apparently didn't get offered a new contract with us, guessing it may have been down to his injury record but a real hardworking forward albeit not the most naturally gifted.

On the subject of unsigned players, where has Kerr McInroy disappeared to?

50 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

His name has frequently came up recently and it appears he has not signed with anyone. apparently didn't get offered a new contract with us, guessing it may have been down to his injury record but a real hardworking forward albeit not the most naturally gifted.

On the subject of unsigned players, where has Kerr McInroy disappeared to?

McGill got a new agent at the end of last season leaving the Consilium stable,    is this a factor in not being offered a contract,  probably ,   Football Agents are pretty fickle,    

Consilium basically run our football dept and unfortunately seem to have run out of players for our level.

47 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Also not got a club, trying to win a deal down south last I heard.

Mid October and still no deal doesn't augur well but he'll get more in the national League than any championship club can offer up here but you would have thought he'd be considering signing a short term deal for fitness purposes.

48 minutes ago, Passionate said:

McGill got a new agent at the end of last season leaving the Consilium stable,    is this a factor in not being offered a contract,  probably ,   Football Agents are pretty fickle,    

Consilium basically run our football dept and unfortunately seem to have run out of players for our level.

I noticed Consilium added Owen Wardell to their books yesterday. 19 year old left sided midfielder, on loan at Broxburn from Bonnyrigg Rose. Highly rated! Fits the model! Should do a turn for us in League 1 next year.

19 minutes ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

So available as it stands for Saturday that we know of we have:

Johnson

Wright

Badley - Morgan

Graham

Watson

Taylor - Sinclair

Aitken

Armstrong

Frizzell

Mochrie