Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Just now, David Fernández said:

Dammit.... I had him on my card for 'Consilium Bingo'.

I'm actually hoping we don't sign another consillium players as we have been way too reliant on them recently and there's no decent ones left. We've currently got ten of their twenty eight players on our books, which is madness.

2 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I'm actually hoping we don't sign another consillium players as we have been way too reliant on them recently and there's no decent ones left. We've currently got ten of their twenty eight players on our books, which is madness.

You’ll change your tune when the pen comes out for Ben Doak and Kyle Turner signing on loan.

31 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

In all seriousness I don't think the next few signings we will make will be linked to Consilium.

McCabe is an associate with the company as well as a player so it probably explains why we have so many players from that agency signed up.

The next few signings we make I'd imagine will be defenders, but we might need to be patient to make sure we get the right players in or wait on better players becoming available.

44 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

In all seriousness I don't think the next few signings we will make will be linked to Consilium.

McCabe is an associate with the company as well as a player so it probably explains why we have so many players from that agency signed up.

The next few signings we make I'd imagine will be defenders, but we might need to be patient to make sure we get the right players in or wait on better players becoming available.

A heard Lachie byrd and Euan Deveney are coming back and Janny and sinky are both now getting let go casue there too old 

Well deserved award for Frizzell. I don’t know if it really matters all that much these days but nice recognition all the same. And I’ve always thought the players’ representatives being separate from the management team made more sense, as much as Fordyce is probably the ideal captain within this squad. 

Obviously a bit of a demotion for Gal but assume that might be because he’s part-time? Or they maybe see Todorov as the starting #9. 

I think it was @Kenny_m who mentioned a fans’ fund being set up as a way of raising money for the budget. I just remembered the new SLO posted this about a week ago. Has this ever been explicitly or publicly stated about Club 1924 before? I don’t remember it if so. I’d think more folk would sign up to it if they knew the money was going towards the manager’s transfer budget? 

IMG_0078.jpeg

Just now, airdrieman said:

Well deserved award for Frizzell. I don’t know if it really matters all that much these days but nice recognition all the same. And I’ve always thought the players’ representatives being separate from the management team made more sense, as much as Fordyce is probably the ideal captain within this squad. 

Obviously a bit of a demotion for Gal but assume that might be because he’s part-time? Or they maybe see Todorov as the starting #9. 

Think you're right about separating the armband and the management although I agree Dycey is basically what you get when you look "captain" up in the dictionary.

FWIW I wouldn't have picked Cammy as vice, simply down to how abysmal his discipline is. Having said that, if this helps him pick up that area of his game then I'm all for it!!

Edited by cb_diamond

25 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Think you're right about separating the armband and the management although I agree Dycey is basically what you get when you look "captain" up in the dictionary.

FWIW I wouldn't have picked Cammy as vice, simply down to how abysmal his discipline is. Having said that, if this helps him pick up that area of his game then I'm all for it!!

Wonder why Gall has lost his role as vice captain wonder if it’s ti do with him being part time 

25 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

After the season Gal had I can’t see them planning to drop him to the bench this early on. It’s maybe more just a case that Gal was appointed vice-captain by Murray at a time when we only had about 4 players actually signed up. McCabe feels he has better options for the role now and that’s fair enough. I’m sure he spoke to Gal before finalising anything (à la Football Manager’s “speak to player before removing captaincy” box) and tbh Gal doesn’t seem the most egotistic so he probably wasn’t overly bothered by it.

2 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Wonder why Gall has lost his role as vice captain wonder if it’s ti do with him being part time 

Agree about spreading responsibility on the park and dressing room,  seemed a bit of a closed shop last season and was discussed at depth on here..

Gal who was outstanding last season just lost the vice captaincy,  could this be an issue, probably not,  although it says to me that Todorov has taken his jersey, and I was of the opinion of that before the captaincy thing....  

Can anybody figure out how to shoehorn Gal and Todorov into the same team without the shape and style of play being affected...

1 minute ago, Passionate said:

Can anybody figure out how to shoehorn Gal and Todorov into the same team without the shape and style of play being affected...

Don't think you can, too similar a player.

Unless McCabe wants to play the Murray diamond with Gabby playing in behind the 2 up top. 

Just now, AJ77 said:

Don't think you can, too similar a player.

Unless McCabe wants to play the Murray diamond with Gabby playing in behind the 2 up top. 

Even then, I think Gallagher and Todorov aren't mobile enough as a pair to play up top together like that in most games. I think we'll see one start with the other as a sub most weeks, both playing if we need a goal and are going for it. I think some games will suit one more than the other, so it's good to have two decent options up there. 

Both Murray and McCabe have tried displace Gallagher a few times now. When he first joined Murray started the season by playing him on the wing with Callum Smith through the middle, then we had Ally Roy being his usual pre-season world class striker, then McGill being favoured at the start of last season. Every time we've ended up with Gallagher proving he's our best forward and even if Todorov is favoured initially, I expect Gallagher will work his way back into the team.

47 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Yeah I don't think captaincy counts for quite as much as it used to and I suspect Fordyce will still be exactly the same on the park. The best teams have leaders across the pitch anyway, not just reliant on one captain. Saying that, if giving the armband to someone else helps him focus a bit more on playing and coaching then I'm all for it. 

53 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I’ve always thought Watson might make a good captain or vice-captain but he, presumably, won’t play enough in the Championship to fulfil the role. Maybe doesn’t matter so much if he was vice-captain mind you.