Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

58 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Anyway, lets kick off with a win today as any other result will probably end any chance of progression in this cup as well as leading to a social media melt down and I hope everyone is on here later tonight raving about O'Connor and Aiken.

I'm not forgetting about Todorov but I believe he's virtually guaranteed to be a success but it will be pleasing if the 2 Hibee's look like they can become regular starters. 

Yes,got to second all that.

Not a great game or performance but a good win. McGregor caused a lot of problems and I wasn't surprised to see him awarded MOTM (although I'd have picked Frizzell). McGregor still lacking a bit of end product and he could have scored a couple of times in the first half but he took his goal well. Thought Aiken done really well in the build up to Todorov's goal.

The squad is a bit lightweight and you could see that today with a couple of the new young lads easily shrugged off the ball at times. Still think we could do with adding a more experienced and physical player in the midfield. Will need to be better to get a result against Dundee next week.

14 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Not a great game or performance but a good win. McGregor caused a lot of problems and I wasn't surprised to see him awarded MOTM (although I'd have picked Frizzell). McGregor still lacking a bit of end product and he could have scored a couple of times in the first half but he took his goal well. Thought Aiken done really well in the build up to Todorov's goal.

The squad is a bit lightweight and you could see that today with a couple of the new young lads easily shrugged off the ball at times. Still think we could do with adding a more experienced and physical player in the midfield. Will need to be better to get a result against Dundee next week.

I think Lewis mcgregor is absolutely rotten all he can do is run that’s it 

21 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

I think Lewis mcgregor is absolutely rotten all he can do is run that’s it 

Sometimes that’s enough though. I’m not his biggest fan but he made a huge impact at Hamilton and while I definitely wouldn’t want him starting every week, he’s a useful option to have around. 

Sounds like our usual slow start but at least we have three points this time. Onto a tough game next week but we’ve done well at home against Premiership teams lately, a third 2-0 win would do me nicely.

18 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Sometimes that’s enough though. I’m not his biggest fan but he made a huge impact at Hamilton and while I definitely wouldn’t want him starting every week, he’s a useful option to have around. 

Sounds like our usual slow start but at least we have three points this time. Onto a tough game next week but we’ve done well at home against Premiership teams lately, a third 2-0 win would do me nicely.

Glad we were not playing Raith or The pars they would have hit us with double figures,

It was kind of what I expected. A bit too much overplaying and although we got away with it, some of that play out from the back  will get sorted out by better sides. Be interesting to see the Gallagher "goal" as our players seemed convinced it was onside. 

On McGregor he has the style of Phil Johnston but he did keep plugging away and took the goal well when he had less time to react.

Certainly not mom and I'd give it to Todororov for getting the goal as penalties beckoned.

It is a win and I think we'll see a more combative midfield against Dundee

The young Hibs guys were what you'd also expect and Dumbarton's full backs did a good job on all our wide guys 

Given the other results I'll settle for this good start. 

6 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It was kind of what I expected. A bit too much overplaying and although we got away with it, some of that play out from the back  will get sorted out by better sides. Be interesting to see the Gallagher "goal" as our players seemed convinced it was onside. 

I was up in the press box. He was in an offside position, but I'm sure it was a Sons player who played the ball through to him. It looked like an absolutely howling call in real time.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I was up in the press box. He was in an offside position, but I'm sure it was a Sons player who played the ball through to him. It looked like an absolutely howling call in real time.

I'm at the far end so I'll take your answer. 

On Dumbarton I thought they were better than I'd guessed last night but just lacked that composure when early chances were there, or were not great at shooting. They did tire a wee bit and Airdries substitutes had the greater impact, but it was mighty close.

Thought your full backs were good and Ruth up front looks promising.

It amazed me to see Ryan Wallace, whom I'd always liked, still playing. 

No drama as per the famous visit and good luck in your season.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

He’s more of a sub type of player had three chances he absolutely wasted should be O’Connor in there anywyas if not it will be a long season 

28 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I'm at the far end so I'll take your answer. 

On Dumbarton I thought they were better than I'd guessed last night but just lacked that composure when early chances were there, or were not great at shooting. They did tire a wee bit and Airdries substitutes had the greater impact, but it was mighty close.

Thought your full backs were good and Ruth up front looks promising.

It amazed me to see Ryan Wallace, whom I'd always liked, still playing. 

No drama as per the famous visit and good luck in your season.

Was just reading McCabe's post-match and he seemed to see it exactly as I had done too. A really weird call.

I'd agree with that assessment. We were without Blair Malcolm, Callum Wilson, Kalvin Orsi and Finlay Gray today too. And Orsi and Gray were two of our best players last season. So I'm hopeful once they are back we'll have a bit more strength in depth. But I was pretty pleased with how we played.

It was nice to see a Sons team trying to play a bit of football against an Airdrie side doing the same. Rather than the usual clash of styles when the sides met in the Championship, and we were basically anti-football FC. I've no idea how it'll work on our mess of a pitch, but I'm enjoying what we're trying to do. I just wish we had a someone with a golden touch in front of goal to take the chances we've created!

Good luck to you guys too. Plenty of ex Sons still doing well, all of whom were good players for us. 

On 12/07/2023 at 08:20, Diamond1924 said:

Never a truer word spoken.

I think some of the support are blinded by the success of promotion and think that your Watsons and ATS’s can cut it in the championship but it’s a whole other level. We need better players 

On today's performance them and Dycey would struggle in League 1.

I've no doubt that the management are well aware of the issues and doing what they can to resolve it, and hopefully before the league campaign begins.

On 12/07/2023 at 13:01, cb_diamond said:

Neither he (Taylor Sinclair) not Janny were "key players" last season never mind this.

We must have been watching different games. I thought TS was pretty impressive last season. I didn’t really fancy him for a regular position, but can’t recall him letting us down at all. He grew into his position as lynchpin of defence and was the one used to start play from the back-just as he did today.

Would I want him as starting CB in league this season? Prob not, but that shouldn’t diminish his contribution last year

Just now, Sub Parr said:

We must have been watching different games. I thought TS was pretty impressive last season. I didn’t really fancy him for a regular position, but can’t recall him letting us down at all. He grew into his position as lynchpin of defence and was the one used to start play from the back-just as he did today.

Would I want him as starting CB in league this season? Prob not, but that shouldn’t diminish his contribution last year

He played less than half the games last season. That's telling.

2 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

He played less than half the games last season. That's telling.

He was pretty much ever-present in our solid run at the end of the season that won us promotion, and while I'm not going to sift through the stats myself, I'd hazard a guess that our record with him in the team was vastly superior to our record the games he missed.

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

He was pretty much ever-present in our solid run at the end of the season that won us promotion, and while I'm not going to sift through the stats myself, I'd hazard a guess that our record with him in the team was vastly superior to our record the games he missed.

You're quite probably right, doesn't change the fact that it's a stretch to call him a key player last season or the fact it would be an unmitigated disaster if he plays regularly this season.