Norway (a) - 17/6/23

PSJ.84

Not 100% sure what the script is with starting match threads, but it’s just over a week until I fly out so I’ve got the buzz already and thought I’d start one, although it’s probably treading in the toes of the June fixtures thread. 

Chance to really stamp our authority in the group after the success in March, and with Spain not playing again in the group until September. 

Other than Hanley, many changes to the team that started against Spain? Who comes in for Hanley?  

…and the all important question, pubs in Oslo? 

Cooper in for Hanley and the rest as is the Spain game in my opinion. Hendry up against Haaland would give me the absolute fear. Haaland against any of our defenders give me the fear to be fair. But Cooper gives a more physical presence. 

3 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

Cooper in for Hanley and the rest as is the Spain game in my opinion. Hendry up against Haaland would give me the absolute fear. Haaland against any of our defenders give me the fear to be fair. But Cooper gives a more physical presence. 

Don’t see it this way at all - Hendry all day for me out of the options available. Has physicality and pace, which will be sorely needed. 

My back three would have been Tierney, Souttar, Hendry but sounds like Souttar is out so Porteous to start again. 

47 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Don’t see it this way at all - Hendry all day for me out of the options available. Has physicality and pace, which will be sorely needed. 

My back three would have been Tierney, Souttar, Hendry but sounds like Souttar is out so Porteous to start again. 

That’s the way I see it too, though I appreciate why some would rather Cooper started. 

22 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Looking forward to this although i'm mentally preparing myself for the cost of everything. 

If we get out with a point I'll be delighted.

Suspect I won’t be looking at my bank account when I get home. Might be about August by the time I’ve the guts to check. 

38 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

I can't remember if I saw all of Spain-Norway but they played some good football. I don't think there's much between us and them except Haaland of course.  

Haaland and Odegaard better than anything we’ve got, but man for man we are better than them. It’s a battle between individual firepower and a solid all around team. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

man for man we are better than them. 

Not sure about that tbh, Norways supporting cast include players at Leipzig, Dortmund, Roma, Napoli, Benfica, Sociedad and Rennes in addition to Haaland and Odegaard. Norway have a good squad with a couple of outstanding individuals.

Here are a few of the things Steve Clarke and Craig Gordon said about the Norway game which maybe gives some clue into the thinking. They are just bits and pieces taken from different interviews so I haven't added sources.

We need to make sure we are organised and make sure we play well and don’t make too many mistakes. If we as a team can limit the chances for Norway, then maybe we can control Erling Haaland a little bit better. I think you have to deal with the team and the individuals within the team. You have to rely on your team structure, your team shape to limit the chances, and defend well from wherever you are on the pitch. Hopefully, higher up the pitch. 

Hopefully we can have the ball more than we had against Spain, and hopefully we can control the game a little bit more that way. 

Steve Clarke

The Norway one is huge, you know even if we can avoid defeat - I know they'll be going out looking for the win because they always do - but yeah I think there's big pressure on Norway to win that match.

Craig Gordon

I think like Craig Gordon has said there is pressure on Norway to get a result in this game which might have an effect on how the game plays out and it will be a mark of our improvement as a team if we can go to Norway and control the game through possession for longer periods as Steve Clarke has suggested he is hoping to.

We haven't really done that in away games other than the minnows and in fairness we have been a mixed bag in doing that even in our home games - think Moldova, Cyprus, Armenia and Israel etc. I know some posters think that we are better without the ball, hard to beat and hitting on the counter and it's hard not to agree. 

Edited by 2426255

Never thought I'd be saying this, but I really wish Hanley was fit. He's completely banished the memory of cack-Hanley in recent years, and has been great for us.

Avoiding defeat at rivals who really need the win would be excellent. A win and we'll all start having unrealistic fantasies for the first time in decades!

24 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

Not all of them are getting that regular football and I guess it all depends how you rate those leagues. You'd put them all under the EPL.  Take Lewis Ferguson as an example: getting regular football for a (just) top-half Serie-A team but he almost certainly won't start either game.

Not all of ours are either, see Tierney and McTominay. 🤷‍♂️ I think  Leipzig, Dortmund, Roma, Napoli, Benfica, Sociedad and maybe Rennes would do fine in the EPL but we're in danger of starting a pointless theoretical discussion so I'll leave it there.

I just think Norway's supporting cast for Haaland and Odegaard are good and comparable to our players. That was my main point.

Edited by 2426255

I'm not sure listing Leipzig with their backup goalie signed in a panic in October due to Gulasci's cruciate injury and who couldn't find a club all summer after leaving Reading or Napoli where Leo Ostigard has started about half a dozen games really helps your argument here.

Well, my argument is that Norway's players outside of Haaland and Odegaard are at least comparable to our players e.g Gunn, or say Porteous to give points of comparison to Ostigard and Nyland. I haven't seen a strong case as to why we have better players man for man than Norway -  because half of our squad plays in the EPL? - I don't think that stands up tbh.

I don't think to say it's a battle between their two individuals plus the rest versus our overall our stronger team man for man is a fair summary of what coming our way.

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

We haven't really done that in away games other than the minnows and in fairness we have been a mixed bag in doing that even in our home games - think Moldova, Cyprus, Armenia and Israel etc. I know some posters think that we are better without the ball, hard to beat and hitting on the counter and it's hard not to agree. 

Harsh imo. We were well in control against Moldova and Armenia, and for the majority of Cyprus. 

Out of interest, have those comments from Clarke changed your mind as to any selection decisions?

What we need to remember is that Norway’s strengths are in attack, we can still hurt them at the other end.

we need to do this by allowing them possession and trying to hit on the break, as we did against Spain. As the game is in Norway it will probably go that way anyway.

And when I talk about allowing them possession, I mean as high up the pitch as possible, as much as possible, away from Odegaard…. And Haaland in particular! 

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Well, my argument is that Norway's players outside of Haaland and Odegaard are at least comparable to our players e.g Gunn, or say Porteous to give points of comparison to Ostigard and Nyland. I haven't seen a strong case as to why we have better players man for man than Norway -  because half of our squad plays in the EPL? - I don't think that stands up tbh.

I don't think to say it's a battle between their two individuals plus the rest versus our overall our stronger team man for man is a fair summary of what coming our way.

If you think they're as good as us man for man, plus the benefit of two world class attacking players, how come their results over the recent years suggest we are comfortably ahead of them? Are they being badly managed?