Norway (a) - 17/6/23

PSJ.84

Just now, Gordon EF said:

If you're going to make the effort to do that for every player you commentate on, fair play. I don't think it's anywhere near as important as actually knowing about the players as footballers. I think some folk think it shows some sort of colonialist mindset to not pronounce foreign names exactly as foreigners would. It's not. All countries do it. The Uruguyan defender, Coates, has Scottish ancenstry and that's where the name comes from, but they all call him 'Co-ah-tez'. It's not disrespectful or ignorant. It's perfectly understandable.

Maybe that's how he pronounces it. 

I don't think it's colonialist to not make the effort to learn players' names, I do think it's lazy and a bit unprofessional. There's only about 16 of them in any one game. It isn't hard and it also tells us watching at home a wee bit more about the countries we're watching. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

What is this Scotland team, and what has it done with the bodies of decades of huddys that we had become so accustomed to? 

Hopefully it’s bearing the fruits of guys born in the mid 90s (McGinn, Christie, Robertson, Tierney, MacGregor) being coached to actually play football at a young age instead of 16 year old 6 foot 2 speed merchants getting all the opportunities ahead of them.  Which was certainly the case in my era (born in 85). 

Having a manager in charge of the national team who has worked under some of the great coaches helps too, instead of the utter diddies than came before him. 

7 minutes ago, velo army said:

Maybe that's how he pronounces it. 

I don't think it's colonialist to not make the effort to learn players' names, I do think it's lazy and a bit unprofessional. There's only about 16 of them in any one game. It isn't hard and it also tells us watching at home a wee bit more about the countries we're watching. 

The one that really annoys me is De Bruyne, every week on motd you'll hear De Broinyah as if they're trying too hard to sound like they've nailed the pronunciation when it's much simpler than that - it's pronounced De Brown-uh.

Just now, stevieKTID said:

The one that really annoys me is De Bruyne, every week on motd you'll hear De Broinyah as if they're trying too hard to sound like they've nailed the pronunciation when it's much simpler than that - it's pronounced De Brown-uh.

That's crazy 🤣.

If commentators are going to to this, they really should go the whole way and put on full accents when pronouncing players names. some guy used to do that with the Italian players back in the day (not any other country). Was absolutely hilarious listening to him go full Super Mario any time he mentioned a player and then just immediately go back to his normal Luton accent, or whatever.

It's nice that was are dishing out a late kick to the nuts of someone else's qualifying campaign, too many times since the turn of the millennium it was us that conceded the late goals and suffered the heart break over and over and over. 

Dykes has next to no service at all yesterday, worked his arse off in that heat, didn't look like it was working for us then bang, he scores and sets one up. I've been critical of him in the past, think we all have, but fair play to him, constantly proving folk wrong.

2 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

DIY - though I could make a generic template if wanted

Why not - here's the official "my player > your player" template.

IMG_20230618_095351.thumb.png.bddf69883094b8b2a6534a7f1bb5bfba.png

Insert your victim footballer lying down on the bed, a much better* player in either picture frame and then something comical in the other one.

Making the pillows pink to rub it in is optional.

You're welcome.

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Hopefully it’s bearing the fruits of guys born in the mid 90s (McGinn, Christie, Robertson, Tierney, MacGregor) being coached to actually play football at a young age instead of 16 year old 6 foot 2 speed merchants getting all the opportunities ahead of them.  Which was certainly the case in my era (born in 85). 

Having a manager in charge of the national team who has worked under some of the great coaches helps too, instead of the utter diddies than came before him. 

We're bearing the fruits of rangers being illiquid 

There being no money in top flight for a number of years and teams having to play scots 

Sadly reversing recently 

11 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Apologies if its already been posted. 

Absolutely love a commentator going daft. 

Really enjoying the one Norweigan lassie sitting near the corner flag who stands up and applaunds as the Scotland players celebrate, looks around, sees everyone else is fucking gutted / raging, then just sits back down.

Just caught up with this thread from just before Dykes' goal went in. Terrific read.

Those were the most brutal conditions I've ever watched a game in, but it was all worth it in the end (and remarkably no sunburn). 

20230617_195553.jpg

15 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Just caught up with this thread from just before Dykes' goal went in. Terrific read.

Those were the most brutal conditions I've ever watched a game in, but it was all worth it in the end (and remarkably no sunburn). 

20230617_195553.jpg

Same, convinced I'd be a mess today after that but no lasting damage other than my wrist being fucked from someone landing on it when the second goal went in.

The Norway FA dealt with the away end really well considering the conditions. A few around me looked dangerously close to keeling over when the clouds disappeared.

I used to work a lot in Norway. They were nice enough people (if a bit hard to get to know), but my boss was a complete c**t.

Aberdeen knocking his beloved Viking Stavanger out of the Europa League a couple of seasons back was sweet - but this 2 minute ragdolling of their national team and their two galacticos’ prospects of appearing in a major tournament - now that was also a lot of fun.

GIRUY.

Edited by tarapoa