Spain

Merkie84

Are Spain going to drop points to anyone else? If so who? 

What results for them do we think will suit Scotland better? 

Do we want them to win against Norway and Georgia or can we be cheeky and hope they drop more points and we finish ahead of them? 

Edited by Merkie84
Spelling

I wouldn't be massively surprised if Spain dropped more points, they were close to dropping points away to Georgia in qualifiers only a couple of years ago until Dani Olmo scored an injury time winner and I thought the recent 3-0 scoreline over Norway flattered them.

I think it would suit us better for them to beat everyone else though. It would leave Norway or Georgia being able to pick up a maximum of 16 points and that would include having to beat us twice. I'd rather just worry about qualifying for now and then if results go our way over the next few games aim to finish above Spain.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It depends, because it's entirely possible based on their performance at Hampden that Spain are shite enough to finish 3rd.

They did beat a decent Norway team reasonably comfortably 3-0 in the game before Hampden. It would be a major surprise Spain finishing 3rd and I prefer to look at the Hampden game as our tactics and performance levels beating a good if not great Spain side. 

It's hard to say really. I wouldn't be betting either way on Spain to drop points or click into gear in their upcoming games. They've made significant changes to their approach and so I'd label them under unpredictable at the moment.

It might help their Euro 2024 qualification that they have 2 games in the Nations League during June to help them bed in their ideas and by the time they  face us and Norway again in October they'll be a stronger proposition. I also think it's premature to make judgements on the Spanish team based on one International camp.

I think Scotland caused them to play badly, but they are certainly not a bad team.

Appreciate it was 2 years ago, but they were far and away the best side at the last Euros and ran Italy ragged in the semi final only to lose on penalties.

They have some of the most talented youngsters in world football in Pedri, Gavi and Balde.

Hope they pick up maximum points against Norway but beyond that wouldn't be against them dropping points to teams like Georgia or Cyprus (unlikely though it is).

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

If Spain win tonight it might change momentum in their team. We don't play them till October which is good in the sense we can see how they get on in their September qualifiers.

A 37 year old winger starting at right back isn't exactly a great sign.

From the position we are in now I'd be disappointed if we don't win the group outright.

6 minutes ago, Donathan said:

A 37 year old winger starting at right back isn't exactly a great sign.

From the position we are in now I'd be disappointed if we don't win the group outright.

Maybe so, but iirc Navas played quite well against Italy.

Luis de la Fuente has chopped and changed his starting line-up with only Rodri and Mikel Merino starting all three games, so far.

Despite that, they could win their first trophy since 2012. 

Age doesn't seem to preclude your selection ranging from Jordi Alba and Carvajal through to Yeremi and Balde.

I feel they won't drop many more points in this group, hopefully apart from two or three against Scotkand in October.

18 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

Might not lose to many games but I fear they could have a 0-0 or two if they persists in just passing about with no end product . 

Why do you "fear" that? Spain dropping points is good for Scotland at this stage.