US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

17 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Not sure if this has made news outside the US yet, but PBS have reported Trump’s been on the phone to Bibi trying to ratf**k a ceasefire. While it might not turn folks on to Harris, it should definitely put them off Trump, and I think I’m right in saying Harris is ahead in the polls in Michigan, which is the state with the highest Muslim voting populace, even before this dropped last night 

Nixon did the exact same thing in '68. A ceasefire in Vietnam would have helped Humphrey win the election, and so Nixon managed to convince the South Vietnamese to walk away from the peace talks. 

Wasn't Reagan supposed to have made a deal to keep the Iran hostage affair going until after the election in 1980?

I guess this is just standard bullshit that these psychos pull because being in power is more important than people's lives.

32 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Wasn't Reagan supposed to have made a deal to keep the Iran hostage affair going until after the election in 1980?

I guess this is just standard bullshit that these psychos pull because being in power is more important than people's lives.

The one thing I remember from the Reagan Presidency (apart from the  very close assassination attempt) was the Air Traffic controllers strike. Reagan said if you strike I will fire you. The controllers went on strike and Reagan fired them all. A no bullshit kind of politician - I do wish some of our senior politicians showed the same type of direct action instead of taking the knee.

15 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

The one thing I remember from the Reagan Presidency (apart from the  very close assassination attempt) was the Air Traffic controllers strike. Reagan said if you strike I will fire you. The controllers went on strike and Reagan fired them all. A no bullshit kind of politician - I do wish some of our senior politicians showed the same type of direct action instead of taking the knee.

Aye, Dawson Park Bigot was very keen on Reagan's approach to labour relations too. It's done wonders for America in the decades since.

1 hour ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

You were making a valid point right up to the end there. 

2 hours ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

He was a bit bullshit.

Screenshot_20240822_130716_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dbb95c46e5b250c1dc522a2c26217691.jpg

3 hours ago, Cheese said:

Attempting to pin the lack of a ceasefire deal on Trump is both laughable and pretty low by the Democrats here.

Netanyahu knows his political career is over as soon as the war ends, and will likely go to jail, so he doesn't need any prompting from Trump. 

It sounds exactly like the kind of thing Trump would try though.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Netanyahu knows his political career is over as soon as the war ends, and will likely go to jail, so he doesn't need any prompting from Trump. 

It sounds exactly like the kind of thing Trump would try though.

Looks like it was all nonsense anyway.

Job done as temporary deflection for the genocide enablers currently partying in Chicago though.

9 hours ago, Cheese said:

Attempting to pin the lack of a ceasefire deal on Trump is both laughable and pretty low by the Democrats here.

Convicted criminal, adjudicated rapist, fraudster (settled out of court on multiple occasions) and twice impeached bloke would never stoop so low. 

50 minutes ago, bigmarv said:

Convicted criminal, adjudicated rapist, fraudster (settled out of court on multiple occasions) and twice impeached bloke would never stoop so low. 

I'm sure he would, but does that mean the Democrats have too as well ?

The only surprise is the Jaffa Japester hasn't been making direct public pleas for Israel to keep bombing the shit out of Arab kids, as if Kamabla wins she'll support Hamas because she's an Arab, and a radical leftist terrorist, and maybe trans, and once blew out the candles at Kwanzaa (or whatever you people do instead of Christmas).

Ta-Nehisi Coates was an influential commentator who stepped out of the limelight a few years back. He stepped back into the limelight yesterday with this opinion, which is worth a read:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/story/dnc-2024-palestine-israel

Israeli-Americans were invited to speak at this conference about their family loss. Palestinian-Americans were not. A Republican is speaking tonight on the stage. They'd probably sooner have Trump himself address this audience than allow for a Palestinian-American to humanise their dead relatives.

Certain SCOTUS justices not even trying to appear impartial any more.

https://www.msnbc.com/deadline-white-house/deadline-legal-blog/supreme-court-republican-rnc-arizona-voting-law-rcna167243

If Harris wins hopefully Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch pop their clogs quite soon thereafter.

37 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Certain SCOTUS justices not even trying to appear impartial any more.

https://www.msnbc.com/deadline-white-house/deadline-legal-blog/supreme-court-republican-rnc-arizona-voting-law-rcna167243

If Harris wins hopefully Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch pop their clogs quite soon thereafter.

Clarence Thomas in particular is a real piece of work. Totally corruptible and pretty open about only being in the job for the backhanders that he gets from the wealthy.

48 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Clarence Thomas in particular is a real piece of work. Totally corruptible and pretty open about only being in the job for the backhanders that he gets from the wealthy.

I wouldn't say he is very open about it.  He goes to extraordinary lengths to deny it.

Hearing from a pollster on Newsnight that the key to the whole thing is Latino voters in the seven swing states, more of them are undecided apparently. So should Harris announce tonight that she'll invade Cuba or stop the sanctions? It's on these frail threads that American elections are decided by.