US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

1 hour ago, bigmarv said:

There are far more Dem leaning Americans than Republican. There has been one Republican presidential candidate in the last 35 years to win the popular vote and that was incumbent Bush post 9/11 when “freedom was on the march, heh heh heh” to quote the clown.

Suppressed Dem turnout in 2016 due to fake Clinton laptop scandal and a solid eight years of well engineered negative press caused many people to stay home vs go out and vote for Clinton. Even then she got 3m more votes than Crooked Donnie, 48% to 45.9% nationwide in a straight up leader of the country vote, yet she lost, mental in and of itself. 

Guns, abortion, book bans, LBGT etc. rights and now even disruption of the military due to one muppet’s personal views (tuberville). Its all unpopular policy that the Republicans are ramming through or causing. I’ll be astonished if they are elected into power at the federal level next Nov. if they do, it will be down to some shenanigans, well funded (by the Republicans) third party candidate etc. 

Nope, this is a whole pile of wishful thinking. The incumbent candidate is completely doddery and a massive personal liability to the Democrats. There's also the small matter of the US' humiliating retreat from Afghanistan and the current war in the Middle East to account for.

Even if a Democrat incumbent was a) sentient and b) 30 years younger they'd still be in for a rough ride for re-election based on foreign policy alone. Obama literally had Bin Laden killed and yet the election result wasn't secure until the final few weeks. 

Unpopular domestic policies of the opposition are not as big a driver of a GE result as apathy within the supposed base of support. Every inch of polling data has Biden in Hillary 2016 category - taking a 'moral victory' while not actually securing enough positive support to beat an obvious clown. 

Edited by vikingTON

14 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Clinton was an utterly dreadful candidate. As is Biden. The Dems really, really need to do better.

Unfortunately they still have a weirdo bias towards the preference of superdelegates like Jim Clyburn - now fully 83 years old - rather than, y'know, the opinion of the majority of the country they claim to naturally represent. 

As much as a fully open primary is equally dreadful for picking a credible political candidate, the snakes and ladders added to the Democrat Party race is practically a boomers' charter. 

12 hours ago, virginton said:

Nope, this is a whole pile of wishful thinking. The incumbent candidate is completely doddery and a massive personal liability to the Democrats. There's also the small matter of the US' humiliating retreat from Afghanistan and the current war in the Middle East to account for.

Even if a Democrat incumbent was a) sentient and b) 30 years younger they'd still be in for a rough ride for re-election based on foreign policy alone. Obama literally had Bin Laden killed and yet the election result wasn't secure until the final few weeks. 

Unpopular domestic policies of the opposition are not as big a driver of a GE result as apathy within the supposed base of support. Every inch of polling data has Biden in Hillary 2016 category - taking a 'moral victory' while not actually securing enough positive support to beat an obvious clown. 

“Biden is ancient, vote for a guy who will be the oldest ever president instead” aye great. Same guy who keeps talking about Obama being the current POTUS. 

Afghanistan was happening under a Trump admin too, his admin signed the agreement with the Taliban in Doha in early 2020  

Are you suggesting Hamas would not have done Oct 7 had Trump been POTUS? That Israel response would have been different? What? 

Domestic affairs will always greatly outweigh those overseas in an American GE, economy being first of those. USA has the strongest covid recovery in the western world with record jobs, wage growth and decent inflation numbers  

Couple more things  

Trump is only running to stay out of jail. I don’t think he will be on the ballot in Nov 2024  

Neither will Biden 

20 minutes ago, bigmarv said:

“Biden is ancient, vote for a guy who will be the oldest ever president instead” aye great. Same guy who keeps talking about Obama being the current POTUS. 

There are many criticisms that can be made of Trump's mental faculties, but doddery clown isn't one of them. And talking about Obama is a pretty obvious dog whistle. 

Afghanistan was happening under a Trump admin too, his admin signed the agreement with the Taliban in Doha in early 2020  

They didn't sign an agreement to have the Taliban unceremoniously dump them out of Kabul in the most shambolic and unplanned manner possible. That's on Sleepy Joe and it will be plastered all over next year's campaign. 

Are you suggesting Hamas would not have done Oct 7 had Trump been POTUS? That Israel response would have been different? What? 

No, I'm suggesting that an Israel in danger narrative and enhanced inter-racial and religious tensions will prove beneficial for the right rather than the (relatively speaking) left. See the disarray that is already affecting the Labour Party. 

Domestic affairs will always greatly outweigh those overseas in an American GE, economy being first of those. USA has the strongest covid recovery in the western world with record jobs, wage growth and decent inflation numbers  

So why is Biden's approval rating consistently underwater and why is he at best tied with as damaged goods a candidate as Trump?

That's leaving an enormous hostage to fortune that no economic bumps will occur in the next 11 months too. 

Trump is only running to stay out of jail. I don’t think he will be on the ballot in Nov 2024  

Neither will Biden 

I hope you're right but that strikes me as wishful thinking on all counts. 

3 hours ago, virginton said:

There are many criticisms that can be made of Trump's mental faculties, but doddery clown isn't one of them.

Actually, it’s rapidly becoming a discussion point as he does more speeches with mental lapses on display.

7 hours ago, virginton said:

So why is Biden's approval rating consistently underwater and why is he at best tied with as damaged goods a candidate as Trump?

That's leaving an enormous hostage to fortune that no economic bumps will occur in the next 11 months too. 

I hope you're right but that strikes me as wishful thinking on all counts. 

My take on the approval ratings is that people are rightly concerned about his age. Everyone and their dug thought he would be one term potus then step aside for 2024. 

Then there’s always the inherently insular attitudes of a lot of Americans. They have little concept of what’s going on elsewhere and don’t really care that US inflation is far lower here than in France or UK. They just know that gas is $3.25 a gallon and eggs are more expensive than when Trump was in office. 

Too bad the Republican faithful are so insular…so far we have Trump discussing “PPP” when he means TPP, talking about Obama when he means Biden (or Clinton, too), talking about being busy as President in mid-2021, how he beat George Bush when it was Jeb Bush, saying Biden was going to lead the U.S. into World War 2, mixing up world leaders and the countries they run, praising dictators, and constantly bigging up his crowds (despite evidence to the contrary). Yet, they lap it up and make excuses.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Too bad the Republican faithful are so insular…so far we have Trump discussing “PPP” when he means TPP, talking about Obama when he means Biden (or Clinton, too), talking about being busy as President in mid-2021, how he beat George Bush when it was Jeb Bush, saying Biden was going to lead the U.S. into World War 2, mixing up world leaders and the countries they run, praising dictators, and constantly bigging up his crowds (despite evidence to the contrary). Yet, they lap it up and make excuses.

Come on man. Biden got taken out by a sand bag.

Trump is more cognitive than Biden. I doubt Biden could actually stand for the amount of time Trump rants at his rallies. Let alone talk semi coherently.

Tbf they will both be octogenarians when president (irrespective of which one wins in 2024) and both should be put out to pasture. It just shows the state of US politics and the failure of the Democrat & Republican parties. Is this their best?

Edited by Trogdor

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Come on man. Biden got taken out by a sand bag.

Trump is more cognitive than Biden. I doubt Biden could actually stand for the amount of time Trump rants at his rallies. Let alone talk semi coherently.

Tbf they will both be octogenarians when president (irrespective of which one will wins in 2024) and both should be put out to pasture. It just shows the state of US politics and the failure of the Democrat & Republican parties. Is this their best?

Let’s see, I addressed Trumps cognitive issues and no where mentioned Biden. You significantly underestimate Biden, and seemingly overestimate Trump. Biden just held a summit with Winnie the Pooh, er, Xi, that would have been a catastrophe with Trump doing it…that doesn’t suggest I want Biden as the Democrat nominee, however I’d vote for him in an instant over Donald.

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Let’s see, I addressed Trumps cognitive issues and no where mentioned Biden. You significantly underestimate Biden, and seemingly overestimate Trump. Biden just held a summit with Winnie the Pooh, er, Xi, that would have been a catastrophe with Trump doing it…that doesn’t suggest I want Biden as the Democrat nominee, however I’d vote for him in an instant over Donald.

Biden's abilities are a bit like Donald Sutherland's acting now. He does everything sitting down.

The reality is they are both too old. Biden is more doddery than Trump, that's not the slight you think it is. Its simply the reality. Trump's grasp of the facts has always been poor. He had numerous gaffes pre-2016 as well. That's why it's not a surprise to anyone.

Whereas Biden used to have a grasp of the issues. When was the last time Biden had a press conference? His team of handlers don't like to let him off the leash that speaks volumes. I'm not sure why you can't see that. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if there are no Presidential debates this time round for that very reason.

I wouldn't vote for Trump either (I'm not a US citizen anyway) but he's more cognitive than Biden. 

Edited by Trogdor

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Biden's abilities are a bit like Donald Sutherland's acting now. He does everything sitting down.

The reality is they are both too old. Biden is more doddery than Trump, that's not the slight you think it is. Its simply the reality. Trump's grasp of the facts has always been poor. He had numerous gaffes pre-2016 as well. That's why it's not a surprise to anyone.

Whereas Biden used to have a grasp of the issues. When was the last time Biden had a press conference? His team of handlers don't like to let him off the leash that speaks volumes. I'm not sure why you can't see that. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if there are no Presidential debates this time round for that very reason.

I wouldn't vote for Trump either (I'm not a US citizen anyway) but he's more cognitive than Biden. 

You’ve been gaslighted if you think Trump is more cognitive than Biden, and I agree both are too old.

15 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Because Trump sprays out continuous lies and nonsense nobody really notices anymore, whereas if Biden misspeaks once in a while everyone's on it like a laser. I admit Trump looks fitter physically but I think Biden's streaks ahead of him mentally, he even gets his favourite despots mixed up, like Orban and Erdogan. If Biden wittered on about windmills and shower pressure like Trump he'd get put in a home.

• 3 weeks later...