US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

And I was right.  He’s not resigned the Presidency, he’s stated he will not stand again.  Two totally different things.

Looks like I had every right to be confident.  :)

Apologies, you are quite correct.  Would he really pardon his son though?  Would that not present US politics in a bad light?  I thought Biden has previously stated he was keen to improve the optics of US politics?

Just now, Shadow Play said:

Apologies, you are quite correct.  Would he really pardon his son though?  Would that not present US politics in a bad light?  I thought Biden has previously stated he was keen to improve the optics of US politics?

Apology accepted.

He won’t do it before 5 November.  Once the election is over it really won’t matter.  I’d be astounded if he doesn’t pardon Hunter of any outstanding charges/convictions that have not been successfully appealed.

Hunter Biden is Joe Biden’s weakness, he’s been unwilling to condemn action that deserves condemnation.  I reckon the whole Catholic ‘redemption’ thing has a lot to do with it, or at least offers an excuse he can lie to himself about.

20 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

They couldn't do it in four years. Now they need to do it in weeks. DEMOCRATS - get it right: 1) pick someone good 2) who can win.

Honestly, just not being Joe Biden and Donald Trump might be enough. 

9 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I see that Trump is claiming that he took a bullet for democracy. Isn't that a bit of a stretch?

It kind of implies that he was in some way a willing participant.  Actually he had no willing participation at all. It was done "to" him. To me, someone "taking a bullet" would be someone throwing themselves in front of a discharging gun to save someone else. ( As if Trump would ever do that!)

It could be argued that given his certain knowledge that he wouldn't survive his attempt to kill Trump, it was the shooter who actually "took" several bullets for what he believed in, however twisted his views were.

Nothing like a bit of controversy!

In a sense it's not as mad a claim as it sounds, because people who put themselves up for election know that they could be a target. The murder rate for US Presidents is more than 1 in 12.

A few wee niggles though. One is that in no way can Trump be said to be doing anything for democracy. Quite the opposite, if the January 6th riot had turned into something serious he'd have been delighted to stay on as dictator. He's continued to make claims about having won the 2020 election that he cannot possibly believe to be true.

Also, the he probably didn't take a bullet for democracy. He probably took a bullet for poor mental health and widespread, unfettered gun ownership.

2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

A very sane reaction to the news.

image.thumb.jpeg.a552b085e45e215c055e9dd564e6925d.jpeg

There is no way Jeremy Vine would have had the career he’s had if he wasn’t privately educated. He’s such a thick c**t. 

The best case scenario for the Republicans is Kamala Harris (or any Democratic female) being the Democratic candidate.

There is absolutely no chance that Americans are going to vote for a woman.

It's a paranoid, troglodytic and macho nation.

They'll think a female president will hand over the keys to the country whilst being in that time of the month.

An American born Mary Poppins could run against Trump and he'd still win. Trump lost to a geriatric Bidin. That says it all.

6 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

There is no way Jeremy Vine would have had the career he’s had if he wasn’t privately educated. He’s such a thick c**t. 

I honestly think if he was smart enough to realise how humiliating it is to be the less talented brother when your brother is Tim Vine, he’d never show his face in public. 

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Accomplished stateswoman, universally likeable, Harvard Law Graduate and Law Professor. Aye shes not been a senator, but everything about the Obama’s was that it was a equal team etc. nah i think shes a far better prospective president than a failed DA and a convicted felon. 

Knows the club etc.

I'm not sure where the "accomplished stateswoman" bit comes from. What deals did she personally oversee? She's hardly Mo Mowlam. 

Let the republicans field their joke candidates, the Democrats should be the grownups fielding inspiring, experienced candidates with policies that will help people, not another hopeless dynasty candidate whose qualification is that she knows her way about the White House. 

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

The best case scenario for the Republicans is Kamala Harris (or any Democratic female) being the Democratic candidate.

There is absolutely no chance that Americans are going to vote for a woman.

It's a paranoid, troglodytic and macho nation.

They'll think a female president will hand over the keys to the country whilst being in that time of the month.

An American born Mary Poppins could run against Trump and he'd still win. Trump lost to a geriatric Bidin. That says it all.

I’m thinking Harris might be post menopausal mate 😂