Group A - St Johnstone, Ayr United, Alloa Athletic, Stirling Albion, Stenhousemuir

AUcal

This is already one of the more interesting groups, mostly on account of the top two seeds both being pretty useless and lacking in quality.

That's not intended to take anything away from Steni and Stirling. By all accounts Steni completely deserved their victory, and Stirling certainly merited more than a point - which they almost definitely would have taken if it hadn't been for a bit of a howler from the keeper. They looked right up for it, we did not.

Based on the opening performances across the group you've got to think that at least one of Alloa, Steni or Stirling might fancy winning this or at least slipping into a qualifying 2nd place.

Meh. Disappointing to see us be so unprepared for the start of the League Cup, considering the shambles that we had in this competition a year ago. I imagine St Johnstone supporters feel pretty much the same.

Edited by AuAl

Well done Warriors, deserved win.

Group is wide open now as luckily Ayr didn’t take full points.  

We’d need to win all three you’d expect to stand a chance of winning the group, and I can’t see this team having enough goals in it to do that, so feel we’ll fail to get past this stage yet again.

I have a horrendous record watching us at Ochilview.  It’s maybe only about 3 matches, but I can’t remember seeing us score a goal there.

Did Ayr win the penalty shoot-out on Saturday after scraping a draw?  I couldn't find the result (and it doesn't seem to be on the Ayr website).

With tonight's narrow win it puts us in pole position to qualify - happy days.

Not that our squad looks up to it but hey ho - we'll take it!

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Did Ayr win the penalty shoot-out on Saturday after scraping a draw?  I couldn't find the result (and it doesn't seem to be on the Ayr website).

With tonight's narrow win it puts us in pole position to qualify - happy days.

Not that our squad looks up to it but hey ho - we'll take it!

Aye won the bonus point 4-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw

Well that was a pretty tough watch at times tonight. Started well the first 20 then Stirling seemed to get a foot hold in the game. Don’t think there was much to split the teams at all and I wouldn’t be surprised to see both teams down towards the bottom half of the table.

Alloa only seem to be a threat when it comes to set pieces. Very little creativity when it comes to open play. Striker is needed ASAP

Congrats to Stirling but draw was probably the fair result. Ref lost total control of that game. Don’t know what happened with the free kick leading to the Alloa goal and the Stirling penalty looked outside the box from where I was. Be fun to watch the highlights 

Alloa - Stirling looked like one step up from pre-season to me, plenty of endeavour but not too much quality. Alloa perhaps shaded possession while offering very little threat. Stirling at least have a few strikers there who can stick the ball in the net and that alone will give them a decent chance in the months ahead. A draw would probably have been a fair reflection but Stirling kept going and had that extra threat and I actually thought they perhaps wanted the win a bit more too. 

From an Alloa point of view there are some key men to come back who will bring creativity, composure and leadership. Even then, we very clearly need at least one more strong attacking option. Once again Rodden worked hard but still hard to see him ever being more than an impact sub. Didn't get anywhere near enough out of Scougall tonight either - not because of Scougall himself. Stevie and Virtanan is going to be a really solid CM but we'll need much more ahead of them and out wide. Donnelly, Cawley and Taggart will help massively but a half decent striker is absolutely key.

I'm on holiday and watched the stream rather than going to the beach. First bad call of the new season. 

It was a game that probably should have been a draw over the 90 minutes but Stirling's strongest period was at the end and they looked most likely to snatch something going into the closing period. Both teams will be disappointed with the goals that they conceded and I don't think that either side looked likely to score without a major defensive blunder.

As for us we played some decent stuff at times but we clearly need to strengthen up front. Rodden is never going to be good enough to be more than an impact sub and neither Coulson or Rankin are strikers. Conor Sammon may not have had his best game but there was a real drop off in our play when he was subbed because we lost a focal point, and someone who's a natural at playing that position. Fingers crossed we can bring in another striker and that we can get Taggart and Donnelly back  as that could transform the team.

Edited by Dink

2 hours ago, Wasps1878 said:

Well that was a pretty tough watch at times tonight. Started well the first 20 then Stirling seemed to get a foot hold in the game. Don’t think there was much to split the teams at all and I wouldn’t be surprised to see both teams down towards the bottom half of the table.

I went along tonight with a friend who was ticking another ground off and we both thought it was a game that looked like 6th v 7th in League One, though it’s hard to read too much into games this early on. Not the most exciting game but the last 20 minutes were pretty good when things kicked into life. 

Taggart, Donnelly and Cawley will be big boosts for Alloa when they return but I agree with everyone that they badly need a striker. I actually don’t think MacIver is too big a loss given the options there, Sammon is still a handful, but Alloa had nothing up front after he went off, Rodden and the subs just don’t have the same quality. A better quick striker would do well there. I was surprised to see Deveney on all the set-pieces too, I don’t recall him ever taking any at Airdrie but he does have a good, if inconsistent, delivery from open play so I can see why. 

Stirling look like they’ll be fine in League One. I assume Currie will be the main keeper but I think they might be caught out defensively on occasions. Carrick, Hilson and Thomson is a good set of part-time forwards and I fancy them to stay up comfortably without really troubling the top four. 

I should have said in my earlier post that it was really disappointing to see objects being thrown at the Albion keeper after their first goal. Totally out of order and hopefully the club will take action against whoever did it (and put a couple more stewards in that area for the next games). It's also very disappointing to read on Twitter that the Albion keeper apparently shouted homophobic abuse, if it's true then hopefully Stirling will also take action.

Didn't think there was too much in the game with Alloa marginally the better side for the first hour but Stirling a lot better after the introduction of Carrick and Hilson.

In terms of the pricing, 18 quid is a shocker for a league cup game there. One of the Alloa officials told us "that's the price in this league". Poor stuff. 

If the Stirling goalkeeper has said something homophobic, I hope we deal with it quickly and harshly. Absolutely no place for it. 

Tomorrow the first time ive not paid PPV for a Saints since it started, i think.

£18 is mad for the quality of stream you get.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tomorrow the first time ive not paid PPV for a Saints since it started, i think.

Club policy is that stream price is identical to admission price. When you compare it to TV market then agree the value for money maybe questionable.

Taking the price aside, quality of our stream is really good and definitely up there with the best on offer.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

What Father Barry said. It sucks but I don't make the policy😮‍💨.

I streamed the Dunfermline friendly game for £5 the other week and made 4 figures. We'll not make it near that total I bet.

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

What Father Barry said. It sucks but I don't make the policy😮‍💨.

I streamed the Dunfermline friendly game for £5 the other week and made 4 figures. We'll not make it near that total I bet.

And a very good stream it was aswell!