LOWLAND LEAGUE - Strongest it's ever been! What's You View?

Just dipped into this thread and read all the posts.

Good to see our friends from the west traipsing out the party line.

When will we all accept that the LL will only be a proper league when it is filled with the chosen clubs from darkest Ayrshire and the odd outlier that is deemed proper by the said chosen clubs. Until that time, which will be decided upon by the aforementioned proper clubs, it will be forever titled the league of made-up, uni and boys clubs.

All Hail the proper kings.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

1 hour ago, HorseyGhirl said:

The West and South cannot now merge. The West have pulled up the drawbridge and are in the process of filling the moat with fire breathing crocodiles. Braverman could learn a thing or two from them.

...or they wanted to run with an even number of teams this season rather than having 15 or 17 clubs in their fourth division. If to name but one possible scenario Auchinleck Talbot are promoted next season and Gretna are relegated, they would need to add another club to be able to do that again. 

No disrespect to the South league but it should not be sitting at T6. We really need a merger with the West. 

If the Lowland did increase the relegation to 2, you can have 1 up from each T6 league if SOS wasn’t there. 

Or possibly 3 down from lowland, with 2nd In EOS playing off against 2nd in WOS. 

So any club wanting to join goes through all the hassle and possible cost of getting into a position to apply to be told eh never mind we are full. 

I accept the WOS cannot expand ad infinitum. They have known about this probability since accepting new applicants, what they didn't do was advertise there was only 1 or 2 spaces.

This would have allowed a discussion to take place on possible alternatives.

That would have been the sensible thing to do.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

18 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

No disrespect to the South league but it should not be sitting at T6. We really need a merger with the West. 

If the Lowland did increase the relegation to 2, you can have 1 up from each T6 league if SOS wasn’t there. 

Or possibly 3 down from lowland, with 2nd In EOS playing off against 2nd in WOS. 

Merger can't happen at this point the West is full.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If a merger happened they would have no problem on having any divisions larger than 16 and removing the SoS from the T6 playoff equation would provide a strong incentive for doing so.

You have been around long enough to know that the West will not merge with the South. The only way this would happen is the SOS becoming Div 5.

Why should the SOS give up what they have because they are 'inferior' to the all conquering West.

As we all know West is best.

Some very good points made by braves owner and not sure anyone can argue around the lack of sustainability of ££ in non league fitba. 

"

As a relatively new club, the reality is that we are not in a position to compete with some of the money being thrown around in the lower leagues at the moment. Although ambitious, I believe it is important to be intelligent with our ambition and ensure that the club remains financially sustainable first and foremost.

I believe that what we are witnessing across the lower leagues of Scotland, although exciting to fans, is largely unsustainable. The implementation of the pyramid and in particular the integration of the junior clubs in the pyramid and the success of clubs like Kelty and Bonnyrigg in recent years has tempted many clubs to spend big in an attempt to win promotion to the SPFL. This leads to an inflated market and the reality is that only one team will have the opportunity of a pyramid playoff come next May." 

8 minutes ago, trialist said:

Some very good points made by braves owner and not sure anyone can argue around the lack of sustainability of ££ in non league fitba. 

"

As a relatively new club, the reality is that we are not in a position to compete with some of the money being thrown around in the lower leagues at the moment. Although ambitious, I believe it is important to be intelligent with our ambition and ensure that the club remains financially sustainable first and foremost.

I believe that what we are witnessing across the lower leagues of Scotland, although exciting to fans, is largely unsustainable. The implementation of the pyramid and in particular the integration of the junior clubs in the pyramid and the success of clubs like Kelty and Bonnyrigg in recent years has tempted many clubs to spend big in an attempt to win promotion to the SPFL. This leads to an inflated market and the reality is that only one team will have the opportunity of a pyramid playoff come next May." 

He will be pushing for more promotion and relegation places ?

He's right... but like any overinflated market, it will crash. Then the clubs who kept their house in order will naturally end up where they should.

I honestly haven't got much against the whole Caley Braves things, apart from the name and the initial Colts thing, but the ground is decent (a lot better than some on here say) and they are at tier 5 on merit

On 14/06/2023 at 14:55, Connor7 said:

In what way does the rest of what you say in this post NOT disrespect the SoS?

On 15/06/2023 at 22:37, Spyro said:

He's right... but like any overinflated market, it will crash. Then the clubs who kept their house in order will naturally end up where they should.

I honestly haven't got much against the whole Caley Braves things, apart from the name and the initial Colts thing, but the ground is decent (a lot better than some on here say) and they are at tier 5 on merit

Nothing against them as such but decent ground is pushing it for what's basically a fives astro with a stand in the middle of nowhere. I've certainly had better days out.

4 minutes ago, Omnishambles said:

Nothing against them as such but decent ground is pushing it for what's basically a fives astro with a stand in the middle of nowhere. I've certainly had better days out.

We went on a rainy Tuesday night in November it was really depressing (maybe not so bad on a sunny summer afternoon). The 2 stands were decent enough but that was about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Off-topic, but there's no natural home for this:

Are Threave Rovers the only team to have played in the SoSL, EoSL, LL and WoSL?  They got promotion in the WoSL last season, though not terribly convincingly, but you've got to admire their persistence (and commitment to travel budget).  They may now have found their level, but I wish them well in future, as they seem to have taken every opportunity to further their ambitions, while recognising their limitations.

1 hour ago, RealityHits said:

Off-topic, but there's no natural home for this:

Are Threave Rovers the only team to have played in the SoSL, EoSL, LL and WoSL?  They got promotion in the WoSL last season, though not terribly convincingly, but you've got to admire their persistence (and commitment to travel budget).  They may now have found their level, but I wish them well in future, as they seem to have taken every opportunity to further their ambitions, while recognising their limitations.

Can't think of any other team to have done that, only others that could really do it are Dalbeattie, Gretna or Annan if they end up in the WOSFL.

Don't think Threave have found their level just yet, they beat a couple of First Division sides in the cup last season so I think they could still go up a division or two.