2023-24 Challenge Cup

Buckets

2 hours ago, peternapper said:

The whole competition has been turned into a farce, going by previous seasons East Kilbride could possibly field a youth team in such an important tie.

It's exciting and provides kids a good chance of playing Senior Football. I'm glad that this is continuing and will do so for a long time yet. No reason why it shouldn't really its a good trophy to win even if Lower League fans turn their nose up to it 

3 minutes ago, mrman2011 said:

It's exciting and provides kids a good chance of playing Senior Football. I'm glad that this is continuing and will do so for a long time yet. No reason why it shouldn't really its a good trophy to win even if Lower League fans turn their nose up to it 

It's a competition for lower league teams. If lower league fans turn our noses up at it then how is it possibly a good trophy to win?

10 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

It's a competition for lower league teams. If lower league fans turn our noses up at it then how is it possibly a good trophy to win?

It should either

- Be what it was for 30 clubs of the Championship to League 2

- All with B teams and Irish and Welsh Teams 

Which would you choose. Either way some Lower League fans didn't give a toss about the Challenge Cup before the B Teams were involved. Now they are pining for it 

1 minute ago, mrman2011 said:

It should either

- All with B teams and Irish and Welsh Teams 

Which would you choose. Either way some Lower League fans didn't give a toss about the Challenge Cup before the B Teams were involved. Now they are pining for it 

I'm not really arsed either way as long as the B teams are flung out.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

There's a rumour that they're resting the first team so everyone's been lumping on EK, thus the current odds. But it's only a rumour, I'm going with Hills at 10/1.

This is the second of 4 games in 12 days, so no idea what team will be on the park. Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, Tuesday and this is by a long way the least important.

13 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

This is the second of 4 games in 12 days, so no idea what team will be on the park. Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, Tuesday and this is by a long way the least important.

Pretty much the same for EK except this will be their 5th game in the last couple of weeks as well . No idea what kind of team either side will put up, but for the Binos at 10/1 I'm willing to take the risk.

What is the rules for entry now for B-Teams think at one stage it was under 18s with a minimum number of Scots seems to have moved on to under 21s with no restrictions. Still convinced it was only with the ugly sisters wanting to have a presence left in Scotland if they ever got anyone else to accept them.

Should be from Championship down with more places for teams in pyramid system.

Aberdeen B v Peterhead for me tonight. North Lodge Park looking in immense condition, out many SPFL pitches to shame.

Even though Peterhead have rested a few players it's still a strong starting XI and fancy them to go through. Young Dons will give them a decent test. Interested to see Findlay Marshall as I've heard he's a baller. We were supposedly looking to take him on loan but given Hartley has a team full of CM's it's likely not an option now. 

IMG_20230815_191747.jpg

4 hours ago, mrman2011 said:

It should either

That would need two teams to have a bye in the first round (28->14 + 2 to make 16 in the second round), or include the winners of the Highland and Lowland leagues from the previous season (or the relegated side that replaced one of them). 

Either option would be simple to do. But also far too sensible for the SPFL. 

Our Under 18s run ragged by EK tonight, and 3-0 flattered us. A disgrace to charge £13 admission for that especially if they'd discussed with DY about what team he was thinking of playing. 

Think they had close to 30 goal attempts tonight, a combination of poor finishing and excellent goalkeeping kept the score down. 

That was a hard 90 minute watch but must have been even harder to play those 90 minutes.

Charging 13 quid is a bit cheeky.

Mark Weir our man of the match for preventing the scoreline being embarassing.

I do understand the rationale and think it's a poor show that we couldn't move the game. The league Cup group stage format is stacked against lower league teams and our reward for making it through is an early season fixture pile up.

My biggest disappointment was not seeing any if the youngsters looking like knocking on the first team door any time soon.