Third Division 23/24

Just now, bc57 said:

I really cannot believe this result having played them on Wednesday and after we beat Finnart away recently so comfortably. Also saw Finnart at Bellshill and could only see one winner. Just as well I don't bet.

As you say Threave play good football; but I see it a lot down here across all south clubs.

They lack that competitive edge that seems drummed into players further north from a young age.

It happened against Vics, Dalry, Port and Finnart twice, a wee lack of desire almost.

On 02/05/2024 at 23:05, bc57 said:

Underwent surgery today. He has a broken tibia, fibula and ankle with 2 metal rods from ankle to knee.  Awful injury.  Let's hope the lad can make a good recovery.  

I can only hope that the reorganised game can be used to contribute some funds to him

Could you let us know if there is a way to contribute in some way to help the lad. 

Gow 4 WPU 3

As usual, we do enjoy a challenge 3-1 down with 20 minutes to go.

Previous to that, WPU played well on the break and deserved their lead. 

We had enough chances to win three games but couldn't get the ball in the net, bar one.

The spirit, resilience and determination in this squad is outstanding.

I just wish we would make things easier for ourselves but it does make for great entertainment.

I'm reliably informed we need five points from our last four games and we are promoted.

Didn't see a Finnart win coming. Did think Ardeer would make it tough for Bellshill. Well done Lanark on confirming promotion.

Mon the Gow.

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

The spirit, resilience and determination in this squad is outstanding.

That in a nutshell is what is lacking in the Threave squad. 

If they drop short of promotion, could be a pivotal moment with regards to the move West.

Either go away over the summer and come back stronger or could be the start of the end of their journey.

Whatever happens there are changes coming at the club in the close season.

6 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

That in a nutshell is what is lacking in the Threave squad. 

If they drop short of promotion, could be a pivotal moment with regards to the move West.

Either go away over the summer and come back stronger or could be the start of the end of their journey.

Whatever happens there are changes coming at the club in the close season.

From what I've seen of Threave;

At Craighead, I expected more from them. We looked better when we went down to ten men. Infact we scored two of our three goals.

They didn't seem up for it but maybe we didn't let them play.

Down there, it was like the Alamo, we were lucky to get a draw. If they had their shooting boots on, we could have lost by 3 or 4.

In general, if they could get a proven goal scorer they would be formidable.

I think their run in the SRCC meant they took their eye off the ball in the league.

I don't think they need major surgery,  3-4 good additions to the squad, including a proven goalscorer, which is easier said than done.

If they don't make it up this season then they will next season if they keep the core of the squad.

That wee Dunglinson fella, is a great wee player.

3 hours ago, Good and Bad said:

Could you let us know if there is a way to contribute in some way to help the lad. 

Will do once I hear anything

7 hours ago, Father Ted said:

From what I've seen of Threave;

At Craighead, I expected more from them. We looked better when we went down to ten men. Infact we scored two of our three goals.

They didn't seem up for it but maybe we didn't let them play.

Down there, it was like the Alamo, we were lucky to get a draw. If they had their shooting boots on, we could have lost by 3 or 4.

In general, if they could get a proven goal scorer they would be formidable.

I think their run in the SRCC meant they took their eye off the ball in the league.

I don't think they need major surgery,  3-4 good additions to the squad, including a proven goalscorer, which is easier said than done.

If they don't make it up this season then they will next season if they keep the core of the squad.

That wee Dunglinson fella, is a great wee player.

Could be Dunglinson's last season; he is at this age/time in his 30's when you feel like it's enough.

They have played different boys up front looking for that killer option.

There are a couple of boys transitioning from the under 20's, and if they find an on field driving force, then who knows.

I know from speaking to the club and fans, that there is a bit of a shock factor moving from SOS to WOS.

It was evident in Div 4 with the few competitive games they had there. Majority of the possession but lacked that edge to win the games that West Park, Kilsyth and St.Peters had. 

So to be in a Division where all the teams are competitive week in week out was a bit of a culture shock to some.

So if they miss out on promotion; a pivotal season coming up for all at the club in 2024/25.

Gow just about there; run since New Year has been impressive.

On 04/05/2024 at 18:38, Good and Bad said:

Apparently been told by the consultant he will never play again. 19.  Awful.

There was something today on FB which was fully subscribed within a few hours which raised £1000 for him, which is a good start.

26 minutes ago, bc57 said:

There was something today on FB which was fully subscribed within a few hours which raised £1000 for him, which is a good start.

When I heard the injuries he had I'd have been very surprised if he'd played again, far too risky.

Only bad injury I've seen first hand was a double leg break to a lad about the same age as Kevin. a lad I'd watched play since he was a young boy, both against and in the same team as my son. It was a Sunday league game and I heard the crack when he was tackled and hoped it was the shin gaurd, but no.

That was about 8 years ago, he'll never play again as it's just not worth the risk. Still involved with football though as he's a coach with the local youth team and loving it.

Getting back to the game, it was a Scottish cup [Sunday league] game and at the time of the injury the local team were getting a roasting at 5-0 down. The injury and the wait for the ambulance which drove onto the pitch seemed to affect the visitors who just dropped out of the game and the home team ended winning. You could see the Centre half that had been involved in the tackle [which was completely innocuous and he was blame free] was really upset, blaming himself for the lads injury. After the game I spoke to him just to say that he wasn't to blame in any way for what happened, as bad as it was it was just a freak accident.

Big week for everyone involved with the Gow need two wins from 4 to be assured promotion. Bellshill need win and a draw from last 2 games. Threave 3 wins which will give them 74 but with better goal difference. Vale slim outside chance need Lanark wins against Bellshill and Threave. The league has been very competitive and looks like going to the wire. 

10 hours ago, bc57 said:

That is absolutely horrible. There are no words that can or will console the lad. Pass on our best wishes from the p&b community. I know it's not much but uts all we can do for him. Will it affect his ability to work, hopefully not.

2 must win games tonight Threave, and Vale to keep there promotion hopes alive. Bellshill v Lanark big game and both desperate to win for different reasons. The Gow looking to keep the run going and try and claim the title off Lanark.

6 hours ago, TM1947 said:

2 must win games tonight Threave, and Vale to keep there promotion hopes alive. Bellshill v Lanark big game and both desperate to win for different reasons. The Gow looking to keep the run going and try and claim the title off Lanark.

Bellshill lost so it’s clenched buttocks when they play the Port on Saturday 

VOL 0 Gow 3

Win on Saturday confirms promotion.  

Team did well tonight. 1-0 HT.  2nd half, VOL down to ten men. Double dissent no 11. We scored almost straight after it and added third near the end.

Could have easily been 5 or 6, if we were more clinical.  VOL could have played until this time next week and not scored.

Good to get a straight forward win.

Kello on Saturday, looking forward to the pies.

58 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

VOL 0 Gow 3

Win on Saturday confirms promotion.  

Team did well tonight. 1-0 HT.  2nd half, VOL down to ten men. Double dissent no 11. We scored almost straight after it and added third near the end.

Could have easily been 5 or 6, if we were more clinical.  VOL could have played until this time next week and not scored.

Good to get a straight forward win.

Kello on Saturday, looking forward to the pies.

Get in early as they sell out quickly!

Bellshill 0 Lanark 1

Our 11th consecutive win was well deserved in front of a large crowd. 5 clean sheets from our past 6 games.  We have been on an excellent run of form which leaves us needing 3 points from our last 3 games, starting at home to Greenock on Saturday.

7.15 ko last night - very little room for manoeuvre if there had been any stoppages of any length of time. Ref played 5 mins at end but it was getting really gloomy.  No need either, with two local teams.

7.30ko next Wednesday. I hope it is a bright night.

There are bound to be some lads who show a preference to watching the OF on Saturday rather than travel any distance if their team has nothing to play for.