Third Division 23/24

32 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

It is a massive weekend; if both Finnart and Threave win that throws the cat amongst the pigeons. Looking at the fixture run in I did feel folk were too quick to write off both of them.

So many fixtures upcoming where teams play each other which will change the league placings dramatically.

Good competitive stuff at top and bottom of league.

I've always thought Threave have been in with a shout and you can never write a team off with points on the board.  The Gow's recent good form put them in the picture but is a harder ask than , say,  what Finnart require.

4 hours ago, bc57 said:

I've always thought Threave have been in with a shout and you can never write a team off with points on the board.  The Gow's recent good form put them in the picture but is a harder ask than , say,  what Finnart require.

If The Gow finish in the top 3 it will be a marvellous achievement, it wasn't that long ago they were in the relegation zone.

For me, and I can be hyper-critical, the last 6 games have highlighted the main weakness in Threave; a mental toughness that I see lacking in teams from the SOS. 

Finnart are an outside bet at the moment but there's this wee voice in the back of my head saying they will do it.

The big success is Lanark; the new staff and players that came in at a difficult time have been excellent and they are fully deserving being champions elect.

It has been a good league this year, didn't get to as many games as I'd planned. But, that's life.

Another interesting day; big result Threave winning 4- 1 at VOL.

Comfortable wins for Bellshill and Gow.

Where does that leave the table as far as promotion goes.

Finnart look out of it now a consensus seems to say Lanark and Bellshill are close enough to the finish line to make it.

Are Gow now favourites to go up or are there a few more twists and turns. But, don't overlook Dalry they still have 9 games and win them all they are in with a shout.

They may have more influence over who does go up as they still have Lanark  VOL and Bellshill to play.

Gow appear to have the simpler of run in with only VOL and I believe a postponed game v Bellshill to be rearranged. 

Threave have 3 difficult away games at Bellshill, Lanark and Finnart, but today at least proves to themselves they can mix it.

VOL have 3 tough games in a row to carry on from today; Dalry, Lanark and Gow.

Even Bellshill and Lanark aren't free from potential hazards with Dalry, Threave, VOL for the former and Threave, Dalry and Gow for the latter with a match up for the 2 thrown in.

My feeling is both will pick up enough points in other games to make it safely.

Exciting few weeks ahead.

45 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Another interesting day; big result Threave winning 4- 1 at VOL.

Comfortable wins for Bellshill and Gow.

Where does that leave the table as far as promotion goes.

Finnart look out of it now a consensus seems to say Lanark and Bellshill are close enough to the finish line to make it.

Are Gow now favourites to go up or are there a few more twists and turns. But, don't overlook Dalry they still have 9 games and win them all they are in with a shout.

They may have more influence over who does go up as they still have Lanark  VOL and Bellshill to play.

Gow appear to have the simpler of run in with only VOL and I believe a postponed game v Bellshill to be rearranged. 

Threave have 3 difficult away games at Bellshill, Lanark and Finnart, but today at least proves to themselves they can mix it.

VOL have 3 tough games in a row to carry on from today; Dalry, Lanark and Gow.

Even Bellshill and Lanark aren't free from potential hazards with Dalry, Threave, VOL for the former and Threave, Dalry and Gow for the latter with a match up for the 2 thrown in.

My feeling is both will pick up enough points in other games to make it safely.

Exciting few weeks ahead.

Seen Finnart 3 times now and have now idea how they are where they are in the league.  They were poor today, scoring a consolation with 6 minutes to go.  

Bellshill had the ball over the line twice early on which the ref didn't see and they missed a couple of sitters so could have been much worse.

Heard season may be extended by a week?

Gow 2 Kilsyth Athletic 0

Gow bandwagon rolls on. Another good win. Both goals in first half, Gow the better team first half. 

Bit of a war of attrition in the second half. Kilsyth battled away but Gow never looked like losing a goal.

Unlucky not to make it three near the end.

A good days work on a heavy park.

Edited by Father Ted

Great win for the Gow today that’s all that matters 3 points. Finnart are out it for me. Threave another massive game against Bellshill next week. Dalry too much to do. I think it’s Bellshill or Lanark and the Gow are now favourites for 3rd. It’s Squeaky bum time as Fergie used to say.

2 hours ago, JT88 said:

Another league that is shaping up nicely as we head towards the end of the season. Is there any reason why some PP games haven't been rearranged yet?

I was thinking the same The Gow v Bellshill will be a big game. I would like to know what’s happening with this for example also players have to arrange work plans etc so as much notice as possible is only fair. 

4 hours ago, TM1947 said:

Great win for the Gow today that’s all that matters 3 points. Finnart are out it for me. Threave another massive game against Bellshill next week. Dalry too much to do. I think it’s Bellshill or Lanark and the Gow are now favourites for 3rd. It’s Squeaky bum time as Fergie used to say.

I question how, with 8 games still to play that Gow can be considered favourites over Finnart, who only have 3 more games.

I get that The Gow are in form but, the task facing them is far greater than that facing Finnart.

4 minutes ago, bc57 said:

I question how, with 8 games still to play that Gow can be considered favourites over Finnart, who only have 3 more games.

I get that The Gow are in form but, the task facing them is far greater than that facing Finnart.

Got sidetracked with Finnart. VoL are in an even stronger position as they have 4 games to play

38 minutes ago, bc57 said:

33 minutes ago, bc57 said:

Got sidetracked with Finnart. VoL are in an even stronger position as they have 4 games to play

The Gow have five games in hand of Finnart, if current form continues we will catch them, as they seem to be faltering a bit.

As for VOL, we still have to play them our away form is pretty good recentlty. We have four games in hand of them too.

Bellshill are catchable to, we still have them to play at home. We drew 5-5 down there, should have won.

Yes I would agree points on board are better than potential points and other factors can come into play but do not under estimate, the Big Sinky factor.

Duncan Sinclair and Matty Clarke know what it takes. 

If we lose out on promotion, it won't be for the lack of trying.

This league is full of twists and turns and I'm sure there will be more to come before it's over.

7 hours ago, bc57 said:

I thought Finnart could do something but my friend say they were really poor against Bellshill.  I only thing with the Gow is once the Wednesday Saturday come in we don’t have the biggest squad that could be an issue. On the flip side if Lanark can keep there form going that could also help us. 

40 minutes ago, TM1947 said:

I thought Finnart could do something but my friend say they were really poor against Bellshill.  I only thing with the Gow is once the Wednesday Saturday come in we don’t have the biggest squad that could be an issue. On the flip side if Lanark can keep there form going that could also help us. 

I can confirm that Finnart were poor again yesterday.  They scored a nice goal towards the end but didn't carry much threat apart from that.

I am not saying that Gow can't do it, but merely challenging the statement made about them being favourites to go up in 3rd.

Another interesting aspect; is looking at the clubs the promotion contenders still have play outside of fellow contenders.

There are some potential curve balls in that bag too.

Greenock and Vics although out of contention will not be easy 3pts.

Greenock still have Lanark and Gow. Vics have Finnart and Bellshill.

Hell even some of the games against the relegation threatened clubs could be tricky.

If you take out WPU and Kello who both appear lost, you have Ardeer, Port and Girvan all fighting to be club 13.

So Ardeer have Lanark, Bellshill and Gow. Port at Bellshill. Girvan at Gow. Even, United of Shettleston aren't safe and they have VOL and Threave.

So if you look at it, dies any club have an easy run in?

With no disrespect aimed at WPU or Kello;

Lanark have WPU out of their 7.     

VOL 4 difficult match-ups.

Finnart have Kello out of 3 left.

Bellshill all potential hard games.

Threave Kello and WPU to finish after 4 toughies.

Gow WPU and Kello out of 8.

So here is an interesting little anecdote can Threave get through the next 4 and be in a position needing 2 wins against WPU and Kello to finish in top 3.

Here's hoping there are no more postponements and the Bellshill - Gow match can be slotted in.

Sat 11th May could be a wonderfully entertaining sunny day for the Division both promotion and relegation.

🤞it comes to be that 11/11/24 is Div 3's day of judgement.

Edited by An Absolute Imposter

23 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Another interesting aspect; is looking at the clubs the promotion contenders still have play outside of fellow contenders.

Hell even some of the games against the relegation threatened clubs could be tricky.

If you take out WPU and Kello who both appear lost, you have Ardeer, Port and Girvan all fighting to be club 13.

So Ardeer have Lanark, Bellshill and Gow. Port at Bellshill. Girvan at Gow. Even, United of Shettleston aren't safe and they have VOL and Threave.

So here is an interesting little anecdote can Threave get through the next 4 and be in a position needing 2 wins against WPU and Kello to finish in top 3.

Here's hoping there are no more postponements and the Bellshill - Gow match can be slotted in.

Sat 11th May could be a wonderfully entertaining sunny day for the Division both promotion and relegation.

100% agree with this everyone looking at the clashes at the top, i think the teams fighting for the life could impact the promotion places just as much. Ardeer 5 games at home in there last 6. Girvan beat VOL not that long ago will be confident they can do it again, Port might also need some points from there last game of the season and are in as good as form as any. 

4 minutes ago, JT88 said:

100% agree with this everyone looking at the clashes at the top, i think the teams fighting for the life could impact the promotion places just as much. Ardeer 5 games at home in there last 6. Girvan beat VOL not that long ago will be confident they can do it again, Port might also need some points from there last game of the season and are in as good as form as any. 

A few games ago Port looked in trouble but have really done some good work. Their win down here against Threave was a massive 3 points for them. Not out the fire yet but have helped themselves with recent results. And Girvan, Ardeer are fighting tooth and nail and picking up points which is important. Kilsyth and U item of Shettleston not safe either.

11/11/24, the day of destiny.

4 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Finnart needed to win yesterday with 3 games left that’s a max of 54 points 

Anyone on 57 points I think will go up 🤷🏻‍♂️so what the rest require to get 57 or over plus max points with games left.

Lanark 3 wins                 = 57 points    7 Games left       Max 69

Vale 3 wins & draw      = 57 points     4 Games left       Max 59

Bellshill 4 wins               = 58 points     7 Games left       Max 67

Threave 6 wins             = 59 points     6 Games left       Max 59

Gow 6 wins & draw      = 57 points     8 Games left       Max 62

If Threave or Vale get beat. Lanark and Bellshill will need to fall off a cliff not get promoted. Plus Gow got Vale & Bellshill. That’s why I think we are really taking about who’s finishing 3rd.