Third Division 23/24

26 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I haven't looked at the run-in but it's Lanark followed by Gow that stand out from the form table. Everyone else seem to be tripping themselves up 

Yeah, not just the first division looks exciting and everyone beating everyone, the third is similar 

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

28 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Watch Lanark a few weeks ago and I think they look a very experienced team, defense looks very strong although I felt uncomfortable when the big center half kept taking the ball too far but luckily he wasn't pressured enough.

Out of the top 10, I haven't seen Greenock or Threave play but I think Lanark will go up, well need to check their games still to play, is it a good run in?

Big Liam is no Franz Beckenbauer but very effective.

Edited by bc57

Just now, bc57 said:

If that was the Greenock game then it isn't our regular CB. He's only played a few games all season.

No i haven't seen Greenock or Threave play.  ffs cant remember, it was working in the morning, just outside of Lanark so popped over as the client was a supporter and said it was worth popping over

The Gow are doing well, since the transitional period when  we changed management. It took a wee while for team to settle.

Since Lanark away, when we won 2-1. Including that game, unbeaten in six away games, 5 wins 1 draw. Difficult games too, West Park, Finnart, Irvine Vics, Glasgow United and Threave.

We are finding a way of grinding out wins and management ethos inbedded in team now.

Additions of Stevie McGurgan and Kyle Stewart at centre half have made a difference.

Just need to win games in hand, easier said than done but looking good so far.

Lanark 2 Kello 0

Played in farcical conditions with a cross field howling gale.  Pitch was in remarkably good nick.

Sorry not to see the big Kello keeper in action today.

Just thought I'd throw in a wee bit of context regarding Threave Rovers, as imagine have seen them play more than anyone on this Div3 forum.

At start of season they were quoted as one of the favourites for promotion, which given the set up at Meadow Park is a justified assumption, personally I had doubts for reasons I will go into.

For me the last 6 games, since the Cumbie Colts Cup game, gives a good insight into the team. Today's game aside, they have started strongly scoring the opening goal, and this is where I feel they are lacking as a team. They have been unable to control the outcome of each game and either slipped to defeat or pegged back to end with a share of the spoils.

Having watched them, admittedly more last season in Div 4 than in Div 3, they lack what I would call a competitive edge; that was very evident in defeats to Kilsyth, West Park and St.Peter's in games they dominated possession and territory but were unable to impose their game on the opposition to such that I never felt they were favourites to win.

Watching a lot of SOS games it is very clear to me the difference between the SOS and the WOS; it is a competitive mentality that players from outwith the SOS seem to grow up with.

There are phases in games when any team has to dig in and just keep themselves in the game and wait for an opportunity back in to be able to earn a chance of winning or drawing.

It's something I see in games involving SOS teams. An example  is Creetown against Ashfield in the SRCC thing earlier in season. Creetown went 3-1 up and there was a general feeling that was game over, but at no point were Ashfield out of the game. What I witnessed was Creetown just drifting out of the game. Ashfield just kept playing away knowing chances would come around, which they did. I have seen this in the Development games too with Lochar and Threave against Lanarkshire, Glasgow opposition.

I do not mean to be overly critical of teams down here as I love travelling around the county watching them, but I do feel the players do not have that mental toughness and bit of steel/grit, that as a youth coach over a few decades I've seen in abundance in Central Belt players.

My feeling is that it will benefit Threave in the long run if they miss out on promotion this year and work on finding that competitive edge needed to move up the Divisions and more importantly keep them there.

Anyway thats enough ramblings for any night.

1 hour ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Just thought I'd throw in a wee bit of context regarding Threave Rovers, as imagine have seen them play more than anyone on this Div3 forum.

At start of season they were quoted as one of the favourites for promotion, which given the set up at Meadow Park is a justified assumption, personally I had doubts for reasons I will go into.

For me the last 6 games, since the Cumbie Colts Cup game, gives a good insight into the team. Today's game aside, they have started strongly scoring the opening goal, and this is where I feel they are lacking as a team. They have been unable to control the outcome of each game and either slipped to defeat or pegged back to end with a share of the spoils.

Having watched them, admittedly more last season in Div 4 than in Div 3, they lack what I would call a competitive edge; that was very evident in defeats to Kilsyth, West Park and St.Peter's in games they dominated possession and territory but were unable to impose their game on the opposition to such that I never felt they were favourites to win.

Watching a lot of SOS games it is very clear to me the difference between the SOS and the WOS; it is a competitive mentality that players from outwith the SOS seem to grow up with.

There are phases in games when any team has to dig in and just keep themselves in the game and wait for an opportunity back in to be able to earn a chance of winning or drawing.

It's something I see in games involving SOS teams. An example  is Creetown against Ashfield in the SRCC thing earlier in season. Creetown went 3-1 up and there was a general feeling that was game over, but at no point were Ashfield out of the game. What I witnessed was Creetown just drifting out of the game. Ashfield just kept playing away knowing chances would come around, which they did. I have seen this in the Development games too with Lochar and Threave against Lanarkshire, Glasgow opposition.

I do not mean to be overly critical of teams down here as I love travelling around the county watching them, but I do feel the players do not have that mental toughness and bit of steel/grit, that as a youth coach over a few decades I've seen in abundance in Central Belt players.

My feeling is that it will benefit Threave in the long run if they miss out on promotion this year and work on finding that competitive edge needed to move up the Divisions and more importantly keep them there.

Anyway thats enough ramblings for any night.

Threave  won’t get promoted this year don’t worry about that they won’t even be close. It’s a shoot out between The Gow & Vale of Leven for 3rd, Vale have the points in the bag, games in hand are not points. The Gow have done well  and on a good run will need to keep it going.. Watched Lanark today comfortable win in windy conditions.

11 minutes ago, TM1947 said:

Threave  won’t get promoted this year don’t worry about that they won’t even be close. It’s a shoot out between The Gow & Vale of Leven for 3rd, Vale have the points in the bag, games in hand are not points. The Gow have done well  and on a good run will need to keep it going.. Watched Lanark today comfortable win in windy conditions.

Lanark look a stick on and Bellshill seem to be over their sticky patch. VOL have a few tough games still to go but like you say points in the bag. Gow need to go on some run, but if they manage it certainly deserve it.

I'm not a Threave fan, just live 10 mins away so my local WOS team. Do want to see them succeed in their move. Just feel, playing wise they would struggle in Div 2 and it could damage them long term. 

They almost didn't make it out of Div 4, which considering their resources was not great. They are comfortable in Div 3, I never being in danger of relegation but at no point in the season have they been in a promotion place. 

Feel they need a bit more time as a club to adapt to the more competitive nature of the WOS compared to the SOS. Another season in Div 3 shouldn't harm them in the long run.

6 hours ago, bc57 said:

Lanark 2 Kello 0

Played in farcical conditions with a cross field howling gale.  Pitch was in remarkably good nick.

Sorry not to see the big Kello keeper in action today.

Spoke with a boy from Kello recently and he said this will probably be the big keepers final season due to injuries ...

Always had a blinder in games against us over the years ....Hot Shot Hamish with his kicking...

21 minutes ago, Inzaghi said:

Spoke with a boy from Kello recently and he said this will probably be the big keepers final season due to injuries ...

Always had a blinder in games against us over the years ....Hot Shot Hamish with his kicking...

An amazing keeper and not as old as he looks, I believe

2 hours ago, TM1947 said:

Best team we have played this season in the league.

7 hours ago, bc57 said:

Best team we have played this season in the league.

I hear that from fans of other teams at games and agree they are a good footballing side, but looking at games as a 'neutral', they lack that extra bit of almost grit and determination all teams need to win games and progress. 

They are definitely a stronger outfit this season than last where they could be easily 'bullied' in games. Its still evident but not as much, so for me another season in Div 3 would not be the worst thing to happen. 

As everyone says the setup at Meadow Park is excellent. One of the best in the WOS. Facilities for spectators and players alike are top notch. The club are continually improving at Meadow, the extended social club and spectator gantry above are new this season, I am not involved at club but speak to committee members at games and they are always looking to advance the club as a whole.

Looking at it from the Gow side if finnart win their 4 games that’s 57 points for 3place. Gow would need 7 wins and a draw from 9 games for 57 points. Vale would need 3 wins and a draw from 5 games and both play each other. On top of that Vale go to Lanark and Bellshill got Gow away. That’s no easy. Ideal for the Gow finnart to get beat at Bellshill then is a straight fight with Vale for 3rd place.

6 hours ago, TM1947 said:

Looking at it from the Gow side if finnart win their 4 games that’s 57 points for 3place. Gow would need 7 wins and a draw from 9 games for 57 points. Vale would need 3 wins and a draw from 5 games and both play each other. On top of that Vale go to Lanark and Bellshill got Gow away. That’s no easy. Ideal for the Gow finnart to get beat at Bellshill then is a straight fight with Vale for 3rd place.

So many if's and buts - injuries, suspensions and players being unavailable due to holidays, suspension and working.  Down to the deepest squads.

Off topic I know but just to add, there are a number of clubs in the SOS with a decent wee setup and committee's looking to move their clubs forward. 

Newton Stewart, Creetown, Lochar, Dalbeattie,  and St Cuthbert's who are in a bit of a downer at the moment but the infrastructure is in place there. Can't speak about other clubs in the region as haven't visited them enough to comment 

Personally I hope one day that all clubs in the West are in the same league, whatever form that may take.

15 hours ago, bc57 said:

So many if's and buts - injuries, suspensions and players being unavailable due to holidays, suspension and working.  Down to the deepest squads.

You’re right with all of the above. Finnart win their last 4 games and get 57 points that’s a problem. They don’t have any midweek games both the Gow and Vale do. I do expect 3rd place to be The Gow or Vale hopefully the Gow. I’m expecting Lanark and Bellshill to take the top 2 spots.