First Divison 23/24

34 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I get the intention of what you're meaning to say, however that's an unfortunate turn of phrase you have used. Ashfield are where they are on merit for their performances and results on the pitch, and have every right to be there amongst the big spending teams around them, as have the likes of Blantyre, Shotts, Glencairn and Petershill.

Indeed.

I tipped them to do well at the start of the season but I thought they would just miss out on promotion but at the moment they will be really fancying their chances. Johnstone Burgh to win it and then it's a lottery after that (for me).

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

I get the intention of what you're meaning to say, however that's an unfortunate turn of phrase you have used. Ashfield are where they are on merit for their performances and results on the pitch, and have every right to be there amongst the big spending teams around them, as have the likes of Blantyre, Shotts, Glencairn and Petershill.

What teams out of the remaining promotion contenders have Rutherglen still to play?  Kilwinning away obviously.

Still a lot of teams to play each other in that group of 7/8.  Kilwinning have still to play Ashfield twice.  Haven't played Kilbirnie at all yet either.

4 hours ago, energyzone said:

What teams out of the remaining promotion contenders have Rutherglen still to play?  Kilwinning away obviously.

Still a lot of teams to play each other in that group of 7/8.  Kilwinning have still to play Ashfield twice.  Haven't played Kilbirnie at all yet either.

Glens have still to play Kilwinning (away), Johnstone Burgh (home and away), Shotts (home) and Ashfield (away).

We have already played twice against Petershill (two wins), Blantyre (two defeats) and Drumchapel (two draws).

Edited by glensmad

Massive 4-3 win for us tonight at Drumchapel. Manic last 8 minutes or so saw it go from 2-1 Peasy to 2-2, then we scored 2 in just over a minute to go 4-2 ahead, only for the Drum to pull one back in stoppage time.

Still plenty of teams can reel us in, but they can't all win their games in hand as they play each other.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Massive 4-3 win for us tonight at Drumchapel. Manic last 8 minutes or so saw it go from 2-1 Peasy to 2-2, then we scored 2 in just over a minute to go 4-2 ahead, only for the Drum to pull one back in stoppage time.

Still plenty of teams can reel us in, but they can't all win their games in hand as they play each other.

Points on the board are always better than games in hand.

5 hours ago, outoftownballer said:

Good win for Kilbirnie today, not sure how close Rutherglen were to a full strength team, but based on the players on the park Kilbirnie were comfortable from start to finish. 

We were missing Dunsmore, Maguire, Blane and McManus. All of them could have been starters, but no excuses, every team has injuries.

7 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Colin Spence, assisted by Willie Lyle.

Thanks. I think I've heard of them 😀 Another pair who sat listening at the feet of Mr. Sloan.

Glad to see they're doing well. Kilbirnie have some momentum at the moment.

Edited by jimbaxters

10 hours ago, 99blue baloons said:

kilwinning dreadful this afternoon, not aggresive enough for promo candidates, ref was poor to both sides, once the buffs right back walked it was an uphill task, they weren't up for it today, second worst game i.ve watched this season.

Weak in midfield. Lost the battle in there and not for the first time this season.

11 hours ago, glensmad said:

We were missing Dunsmore, Maguire, Blane and McManus. All of them could have been starters, but no excuses, every team has injuries.

I don’t think highlighting injuries or suspensions is excuses and should be acknowledged , to my knowledge Kilbirnie had a full squad to choose from yesterday. That was not the cases earlier in the season. A missing player here or there might be the difference in a team going up or down. It’s that tight at both ends. The league has been a good watch from what I’ve seen.

Was at the Cambuslang v Blantyre game. Haven't been down to Somervell in about a year but they really are a poor side. No players stood out, for both sides now come to mention it, and very surprised Vics are up challenging for the title.

1 hour ago, energyzone said:

Are they a sleeping giant though?

Apart from the hooligan element, the lack of success and the less community backing, they are like Talbot really.

Ok, maybe they're not a sleeping giant.