First Divison 23/24

1 hour ago, Casper Wilson said:

Good job they've went to Cliftonhill and Renfrew earlier on, or it would have been an even bigger "clusterfuck".

Out of interest, why is it a "clusterfuck"?

Because the season is shaping to be a monumental clusterfuck?

23 minutes ago, The nameless tim said:

Ross Wilson taking charge of Burgh tonight & I'm assuming until they appoint a new manager. I've heard that they are changing from grass to astro wonder if it'll be getting done this summer.

Don’t see it being done this summer.

Lots of underlying issues with regards to ownership (as far as I know George Walker still owns it) and potential decontamination work required as the park is on the site of an old refuge tip.

Also old mine workings close by.

2 hours ago, Spyro said:

Maybe an investment on the actually pitch surface before filling the squad with overpaid haddies might have been a better start? 

Far be it for me to defend the Committee and "Owners" and while I agree 100% with your general assertion that monies should have been prioritised on the Infrastructure, it is important to put it all into some context.

Firstly, the Burgh do not own the ground and that limits what can be done, plus there is no point in investing heavily with an uncertainty over security of tenure. Which there is until the "club" owns the ground.

Secondly, as a Committee member as recently as 2022 I can vouch that the club has spent thousands on the surface each of the last 4 seasons (Over £4,000 on special works in 2021 alone). Trust me, they got games on when prior to this work being carried out, there would have been no chance. You think it's bad now, it's a whole lot better than it had been. On this season, most of the postponements were when entire cards were wiped out and there was the abandonment of Kilbirnie at home due to a serious injury to a Kilbirnie player. There has only been one fixture lost at KP when all others went on. Burgh have also went on long cup runs in all competitions.

Thirdly, the base layer of the pitch when laid in the mid 50's used the ashes from the old Renfrew Coal fired power station. Over time these have now compacted and the base layer is pretty much solid stone, hence the drainage. Consequently, to fix would also require the decontamination work (expensive). Bringing us back to only commiting to do it when you own it. Theocratically Burgh could pay for the decontamination work, then get evicted and housing goes up. Although I do not think the current owner would do that, although he's not getting any younger.

2 hours ago, Johnstonian said:

Far be it for me to defend the Committee and "Owners" and while I agree 100% with your general assertion that monies should have been prioritised on the Infrastructure, it is important to put it all into some context.

Firstly, the Burgh do not own the ground and that limits what can be done, plus there is no point in investing heavily with an uncertainty over security of tenure. Which there is until the "club" owns the ground.

Secondly, as a Committee member as recently as 2022 I can vouch that the club has spent thousands on the surface each of the last 4 seasons (Over £4,000 on special works in 2021 alone). Trust me, they got games on when prior to this work being carried out, there would have been no chance. You think it's bad now, it's a whole lot better than it had been. On this season, most of the postponements were when entire cards were wiped out and there was the abandonment of Kilbirnie at home due to a serious injury to a Kilbirnie player. There has only been one fixture lost at KP when all others went on. Burgh have also went on long cup runs in all competitions.

Thirdly, the base layer of the pitch when laid in the mid 50's used the ashes from the old Renfrew Coal fired power station. Over time these have now compacted and the base layer is pretty much solid stone, hence the drainage. Consequently, to fix would also require the decontamination work (expensive). Bringing us back to only commiting to do it when you own it. Theocratically Burgh could pay for the decontamination work, then get evicted and housing goes up. Although I do not think the current owner would do that, although he's not getting any younger.

Fair enough, solid answer! 

I didn't realise the ownership issue so I can understand not putting the type of money into ripping the base out and doing it properly. It will be money well spent rather than maintaining the current pitch, but not when you can be POTENTIALLY be turfed out if anything changes with ownership

3 hours ago, Johnstonian said:

Good response.

As a Buffs fan who has been to most of the grounds in the West of Scotland, that was my first visit to Keanie Park. It was great to visit an old school ground for the first time, place is oozing with stories and atmosphere. The pitch isn't the best, but you've explained why in some detail.

I'm not a great fan of money men coming into clubs, we had that 25 years ago and on the park very successful, off it there was no legacy created from the money spent. Hopefully, for long standing Burgh fans, you get to enjoy the money invested whilst creating a legacy for the future should the money men lose interest.

3 hours ago, Johnstonian said:

Who owns it?

George Walker?

1 hour ago, Johnstonian said:

Make that 14 fixtures in 42 days. You could say you make your own luck...

Surely they will have to keep playing for another week or two more than currently scheduled (like they did last year), no reason why the other divisions need finish at the same time as the Premier Division.

Edited by Ginaro

10 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Surely they will have to keep playing for another week or two more than currently scheduled (like they did last year), no reason why the other divisions need finish at the same time as the Premier Division.

If this was on the League, then I’d agree, but it’s not, so it’s up to the Burgh to fit the games in.