First Divison 23/24

18 minutes ago, Shankland1874 said:

is that burgh promoted with a win tonight?

Aye, Shotts won 2-0, so by my arithmetic need to take 2 more points from 9 available, if Ashfield win on Friday and/or Rutherglen win their last 2.

Quite a topsy turvy season for the Burgh. Took them to sack their manager and get knocked out the cup by Arthurlie for their league campaign to get started. 
Some run they went on when it did and promotion secured, which was the ultimate aim at the start of the season.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Quite a topsy turvy season for the Burgh. Took them to sack their manager and get knocked out the cup by Arthurlie for their league campaign to get started. 
Some run they went on when it did and promotion secured, which was the ultimate aim at the start of the season.

Very much agree. Massive turnover of players at the beginning, with a lot of long term injuries left momentum very difficult to achieve but came at the right time. Promoted and semi of the Scottish so still can be seen as a good season but of course there is always a what if.

I always felt that Drumchapel and Johnstone Burgh would have the final say in the promotion issue, simply because of the level of investment in their squads in comparison to the rest of the clubs. And that's not meant as a criticism, if you have the money then there's nothing wrong with spending it to make your side better. At all levels of football, the teams who are able to invest the most in their squads generally are the ones who get the rewards.

Although we're not officially out of the promotion equation yet, we need to win our two remaining games (home v Johnstone Burgh and Maybole Juniors), and hope that Shotts and Ashfield both gain no more than one point from their remaining games. It's extremely unlikely, but there's still a very tiny glimmer of hope.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

I always felt that Drumchapel and Johnstone Burgh would have the final say in the promotion issue, simply because of the level of investment in their squads in comparison to the rest of the clubs. And that's not meant as a criticism, if you have the money then there's nothing wrong with spending it to make your side better. At all levels of football, the teams who are able to invest the most in their squads generally are the ones who get the rewards.

Although we're not officially out of the promotion equation yet, we need to win our two remaining games (home v Johnstone Burgh and Maybole Juniors), and hope that Shotts and Ashfield both gain no more than one point from their remaining games. It's extremely unlikely, but there's still a very tiny glimmer of hope.

And you can potentially save your neighbours from the drop :)

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

I will be  astonished if Shotts don’t get the job done and given their recent fixture schedule and limited resources this is some achievement given some big hitters such as Kilwinning and Kilbirnie within the division.

Posted (edited)

@glensmad a personal plea. You're probably thinking about forming a thread for the First Division next season. To alleviate my pedantry, please spell it properly. Please.

ETA- I see it was @GNU_Linux who started this thread. The same goes to you!

Edited by jimbaxters

24 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

@glensmad a personal plea. You're probably thinking about forming a thread for the First Division next season. To alleviate my pedantry, please spell it properly. Please.

ETA- I see it was @GNU_Linux who started this thread. The same goes to you!

🤣

1 hour ago, Mine Man said:

I will be  astonished if Shotts don’t get the job done and given their recent fixture schedule and limited resources this is some achievement given some big hitters such as Kilwinning and Kilbirnie within the division.

Kilwinning and Kilbirnie big hitters?

I get your point, but it's simply not the case. Both clubs have great history, but haven't won anything of note in many years.

The big hitters are the clubs with the biggest budgets, therefore no surprise that Drumchapel and Johnstone have secured promotion.

The 3rd promotion place was always going to be more difficult to predict. If it's to be Shotts, that's a great achievement.

44 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Kilwinning and Kilbirnie big hitters?

I get your point, but it's simply not the case. Both clubs have great history, but haven't won anything of note in many years.

The big hitters are the clubs with the biggest budgets, therefore no surprise that Drumchapel and Johnstone have secured promotion.

The 3rd promotion place was always going to be more difficult to predict. If it's to be Shotts, that's a great achievement.

I do get where Mine Man is coming from though. Kilbirnie and Kilwinning are still big names in the game at our level, with the potential to get back to that level. They still have much bigger regular supports than most of the other teams in the league. I personally expected them both to be promotion contenders at the start of the season, and I'm surprised to see them both only in mid table. I do expect to see them challenging nearer the top next season.

9 minutes ago, energyzone said:

Kilwinning are a yo-yo club and Kilbirnie haven't won a top flight league or Scottish JC for 47 years! 

There's a lot of teams who haven't won a top flight league or Scottish Junior Cup for a long time. They are still big clubs with big supports.

30 minutes ago, Johnny Sox said:

The support of both Buffs and Ladeside have shrunk dramatically over the season.

Buffs home support is well down. The away support holds up well in terms of our peers in the league.