Germany 2024

invergowrie arab

15 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Mates have booked up for Berlin and my Brother is wanting to go as well. 
What is it like? What sort of prices/journey times are you talking for trains?

Deutsche Bahn are going to be doing deals for people going to the Euros which should be around 30 euro one way between the major cities for those going to games but they won't be on sale until 2024. If not using the deals then it's similar to here, quieter the train and further in advance you book the cheaper it usually is.

For some of the further away ones I don't think the map is exact in terms of adding the 2 times together but gives you a rough idea how far you are on the train from Berlin.

2024trains.thumb.jpg.b165207c0c840d1a422c224ed0dfb942.jpg

9 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Deutsche Bahn are going to be doing deals for people going to the Euros which should be around 30 euro one way between the major cities for those going to games but they won't be on sale until 2024. If not using the deals then it's similar to here, quieter the train and further in advance you book the cheaper it usually is.

For some of the further away ones I don't think the map is exact in terms of adding the 2 times together but gives you a rough idea how far you are on the train from Berlin.

2024trains.thumb.jpg.b165207c0c840d1a422c224ed0dfb942.jpg

Cheers mate. Looks like leipzig and Hamburg are easily accessible.

1 hour ago, buchan30 said:

Mates have booked up for Berlin and my Brother is wanting to go as well. 
What is it like? What sort of prices/journey times are you talking for trains?

I'm staying in Berlin as well, obviously hoping we get lucky with Hamburg and Leipzig but most venues are doable back and forward in a day, there are night trains too. From my hotel it takes about the same time to get to the Berlin Stadium as it does to Leipzig! :lol:

Edited by welshbairn

On 27/06/2023 at 13:48, Pie Of The Month said:

I watched someone cook up and inject what I assume was heroin right in front of Frankfurt Hbf a few years back in broad daylight so I agree with the assessment of it being sketchy as f**k.

I went on a walking tour in Hamburg and saw this near the Reeperbahn funnily enough, although it was being injected into his boaby. Also on that walking tour a body of someone who'd jumped off something high to commit suicide. I'd recommend the walking tour in Hamburg to anyone, it was a rare day out. Not sure I'll ever be back to the Reeperbahn again, quite a grim place, other parts of Hamburg are really nice though. 

I've booked apartments (some hotels) in 8 of the 10 host cities, or quite close to them, for 8 people.

Really struggling finding a good price in Dusseldorf or Dortmund.

Waiting for flights to become available and will just be booking the best priced one to any airport in Germany or in a neighbouring country.

Once the draw is made I'll keep one of the bookings and cancel the others - and hopefully all will fall into place.

24 minutes ago, ScottMc77 said:

I've booked apartments (some hotels) in 8 of the 10 host cities, or quite close to them, for 8 people.

Waiting for flights to become available and will just be booking the best priced one to any airport in Germany or in a neighbouring country.

Once the draw is made I'll keep one of the bookings and cancel the others - and hopefully all will fall into place.

I have booked a place in Oberhausen for a fortnight for a grand which is pretty central for all the north west cities. Transport will be easy peasy from there. The actual cities themselves are proving to be expensive.

26 minutes ago, ScottMc77 said:

If you've got an option in one of the cities near Dortmund then I seriously wouldn't bother with it. It's not a great place to stay and there's not much going on.

I found Mönchengladbach is much the same as above, if people are considering that too. Sounds as though it’s slightly nicer than Dortmund but there really wasn’t a lot to do. 

Edited by PSJ.84

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

If you've got an option in one of the cities near Dortmund then I seriously wouldn't bother with it. It's not a great place to stay and there's not much going on.

OK, cheers.

I suppose it's just if there's a Scotland game on in that city it would be good to be based there, but I guess 2 or 3 of the other options are only a half hour train ride away, so all should be fine (we have places in Cologne, Gelsenkirchen and Bochum booked in that area).

Edited by ScottMc77

I can recommend Bonn. Easy to get to Cologne and by extension Dusseldorf, Dortmund and Gelsinkirchen. Also there's a great link to Frankfurt from there. 

Cute wee city with lots to do and some nice pubs. 

Edited by Stellaboz

I am finding most of the accommodation in the Rhine/Rhuhr area western cities to be extremely expensive and quite hard to come by already.

Managed to find a place for 10 in Dusseldorf at around 300 pound a head for the first week, but it’s already nearly doubled in price since I booked it last week. Seriously considering looking for a place in a nearby town/city that’s not hosting any games and just travelling in for the game if we need. 

Hamburg and Berlin are looking a lot better in terms of price/accommodation, but I’ll still need somewhere in the west with free cancellation for the 2nd week in case we end up playing there.

Another train map.

ice_network-png.239731Re

Red=High-speed lines for 300 km/h (186 mph)
Gold=High-speed lines for 250 km/h or more (155 mph and higher)
Blue=Upgraded lines for 200 km/h or 230 km/h (124 mph or 143 mph)
Grey=Conventional lines, often upgraded for 160 km/h (100 mph)

On 27/06/2023 at 15:07, M0rtonfc said:

Booked hotel with ease for the 2nd weekend of the tourney in Frankfurt, double room in the City Centre Ibis for £150 each. Flights should be available next week, atm it's showing flights up to the 1st weekend which still has seats available and are currently sitting at £200 return direct from Glasgow so should hopefully be sorted, decent total cost that.

Just need to now hope it's not Hamburg as that's over 5 hours away on the train, the rest are all decent, 2/3 hour trains.

If anyone is planning on going to Frankfurt just a heads up that flights are now available for the first 2 weekends of the tourney, return from Glasgow Fri-Mon for £200-250 with Lufthansa.

On 17/06/2023 at 20:23, invergowrie arab said:

Frankfurt looks centralish if you want to hedge your bets.

Indeed it is @invergowrie arab

The stadium there will be hosting 6 (maybe7?) games.

You can get to any other of the other cities on the various trains from there (S-Bahn etc).

There are regular flights as it's Germany's main airport hub.

How do I know? I've been to Frankfurt/Mainz/Wiesbaden many times.

Get this for an idea: if you arrive at Frankfurt-am-Main airport you can go downstairs and get a train to the rest of Germany and beyond. Oftentimes the train fare is included in your air-ticket. Imagine that!

Edited by ancientnoise

On 27/06/2023 at 15:07, M0rtonfc said:

Booked hotel with ease for the 2nd weekend of the tourney in Frankfurt, double room in the City Centre Ibis for £150 each. Flights should be available next week, atm it's showing flights up to the 1st weekend which still has seats available and are currently sitting at £200 return direct from Glasgow so should hopefully be sorted, decent total cost that.

Just need to now hope it's not Hamburg as that's over 5 hours away on the train, the rest are all decent, 2/3 hour trains.

I think you’ve got the exact same itinerary as me planned 😂 that’s the hotel I’ve got booked up as well and hoping to get the Lufthansa flights in the bag ASAP.