Titanic II

Tbf if the half-hourly noises were from mini-sub they may still be alive right now.

However as has been the case all along to then find and rescue them sadly remains vanishingly - soon impossibly - unlikely.

RAF now flying out Royal Navy personnel and equipment in a Globemaster - you do wonder if such international effort would go into say a missing yacht or trawler.

Whole scenario really mirrors the fate of the Titanic itself... Massive wealth, overconfidence in technical mastery of natural conditions, and unnecessary risk taking, combine in a fateful voyage with a likely tragic and potentially mysterious outcome - the 'splendour', 'intrigue' and 'drama' of which seems to grip world attention.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tbf if the half-hourly noises were from mini-sub they may still be alive right now.

However as has been the case all along to then find and rescue them sadly remains vanishingly - soon impossibly - unlikely.

RAF now flying out Royal Navy personnel and equipment in a Globemaster - you do wonder if such international effort would go into say a missing yacht or trawler.

Whole scenario really mirrors the fate of the Titanic itself... Massive wealth, overconfidence in technical mastery of natural conditions, and unnecessary risk taking, combine in a fateful voyage with a likely tragic and potentially mysterious outcome - the 'splendour', 'intrigue' and 'drama' of which seems to grip world attention.

Also, a shit-ton of money spent on a cutting edge marine vessel, said to be the future...

13 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Also, a shit-ton of money spent on a cutting edge marine vessel, said to be the future...

Plus the 'jet set' identity of those aboard.

Everybody has heard of Titanic; most of Lusitania; how many Empress of Ireland?

Yet she sank year between and more passengers died:

RMS Empress of Ireland - Wikipedia

Empress+oF+Ireland+May+29+1914+Tribune.b

19140530_Where_the_RMS_Empress_of_Irelan

empress-of-ireland-archives-chad.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

To be fair, I only used Stonehenge as a terrible example. There would be a lot more people doing it if it was more affordable, I think there is a strong whiff of jealousy on the part of people because of the cost but it's most likely pocket change to these folk. 

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

RAF now flying out Royal Navy personnel and equipment in a Globemaster

Hopefully these folk can use the rest of their pocket change to pay for our RAF chucking folk at their affordable hobby. 

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Supposedly the noises being 'half-hourly' are just misreporting from Rolling Stone. It was just banging noises from near the surface. Could be them, but just as likely it's someone dropping a toolbox in another rescue vessel a couple of miles over.

3 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Supposedly the noises being 'half-hourly' are just misreporting from Rolling Stone. It was just banging noises from near the surface. Could be them, but just as likely it's someone dropping a toolbox in another rescue vessel a couple of miles over.

They were right a right bunch of noisy fishermen in Deadliest Catch. 

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I for one haven't.

An uneducated guess I would forward is that the ship was filled with lower class folk?

59 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Do the principles of Schrödinger’s cat apply here, as it’s a fixed group of participants, sealed into a container, with no observers? Imagining some Lloyd’s underwriter preparing an insurance payout denial with an argument that they aren’t dead,  but simply a cloud of possibilities, until someone finds the sub and peeks in.

I would imagine some Lloyd’s underwriter won’t need to work too hard on an insurance denial. I know nothing about insurance, but how the feck’ can OceanGate get insurance for a thing that should really never be down there? Reports that the glass domed front was only ever certified to 1300m deep? Controlled by a Nintendo Wii? On the seabed where the feckin’ thing was under more pressure than Brendan Rodgers in European fitba’?

As for the dafties who paid £250,000 to get into it, it’s difficult to get travel insurance for Helmand Province, much less the bottom of the sea. Hardly a day trip from Largs to Cumbrae wi’ CalMac*

*Probably more chance of OceanGate reaching the seabed without breaking down than CalMac have of reaching Millport.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I would imagine some Lloyd’s underwriter won’t need to work too hard on an insurance denial. I know nothing about insurance, but how the feck’ can OceanGate get insurance for a thing that should really never be down there? Reports that the glass domed front was only ever certified to 1300m deep? Controlled by a Nintendo Wii? On the seabed where the feckin’ thing was under more pressure than Brendan Rodgers in European fitba’?

As for the dafties who paid £250,000 to get into it, it’s difficult to get travel insurance for Helmand Province, much less the bottom of the sea. Hardly a day trip from Largs to Cumbrae wi’ CalMac*

*Probably more chance of OceanGate reaching the seabed without breaking down than CalMac have of reaching Millport.

Anything can be insured, but the premium can be the sticky point. And a greenie for geting in a CalMac reference!

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They seem to have progressed from one type of search equipment to another.Why didn't they start with the good stuff?

Tbf they may have sent for UK expertise for no other reason than we actually know how to pronounce 'buoy', 'vehicle' and 'submariner'.

50 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I wonder if the captain of the coal boat let out a War Cry before he rammed it.

As for the sub's fate: it's catastrophic structural failure early doors for me, P&B.

16 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They seem to have progressed from one type of search equipment to another.Why didn't they start with the good stuff?

Scotland’s finest have just arrived at the scene.

20785E43-19CF-48AE-951C-889167C949C6.jpeg