Titanic II

9 hours ago, Empty It said:

Visiting the Titanic is probably another one of those things on the billionaires tick list to do so they can brag about it at the local country club, see also climbing Mount Everest.

Two things I have no interest in doing.

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't think the coke ones go 4000m deep.

You'll be getting a chap on the door from PC Cabe, with that sort of insider information...

3 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Yes. Do you remember the rescues of the Thai boys from the cave? Weird and unusual things get news coverage. 

I am not saying that in some cases there isn’t disproportionate coverage for white and/or rich people in some areas, for example the Madeline McCann story had more than many missing kids.

Just in this case I think it’s wrong to link them because I think the focus of this story is the event and the negligence of the CEO, not the people on board. 

And those Chilean(?) miners?

ETA: Should have read the whole thread...

Edited by Jacksgranda

Scores of people drown in the sea and rivers every day around the world, being trapped in a capsule at 4000 metres below the surface with air running out is equivalent to being stuck on the moon, in terms of numbers being there. And the efforts to save them were hugely dramatic, as they would be on the Moon. It's not a big surprise that the news pick up on it more than every Asian or African ferry that sinks, or one full of refugees that happens every few weeks. 

Edited by welshbairn

For as long as I can remember I have been absolutely terrified of the thought of huge objects under the sea. Something about swimming along and then this massive shipwreck just looms out of nowhere. I found out a couple of years ago that it is a genuine phobia called submechanophobia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submechanophobia

The thought of going down 4 miles to see the Titanic is something I would never, ever consider. I don't even like watching that kind of stuff on the telly.

in41hg2cl0481.jpg

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

Random fact, not really to do with the Titan but interesting. Beaked whales dive to 2000m several times a day to hunt. The deepest recorded dive was 2992m. They can also stay under water for hours, almost 4 hours being the longest recorded. 

That's nothing. These c***s have been underwater for nearly a week now.

46 minutes ago, Gaz said:

For as long as I can remember I have been absolutely terrified of the thought of huge objects under the sea. Something about swimming along and then this massive shipwreck just looms out of nowhere. I found out a couple of years ago that it is a genuine phobia called submechanophobia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submechanophobia

The thought of going down 4 miles to see the Titanic is something I would never, ever consider. I don't even like watching that kind of stuff on the telly.

in41hg2cl0481.jpg

Best never play the game Subnautica or its sequel then....

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't think the coke ones go 4000m deep.

Could make a few quid operating a sub day trip to see the wreck of the sub that went to see the wreck of the Titanic. I’ve got a PlayStation controller and Aiken big storage tubs in the garage. 

5 hours ago, Herc said:

20230624_162157.thumb.jpg.1573f8398ddd9e7e3975205adc0dcdc0.jpg

This picture alone has me considering not being cremated if I could hire these lads to parade my coffin down the street in the obnoxiously white suburb I reside in. It would be well worth the panicked calls to the police.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

This picture alone has me considering not being cremated if I could hire these lads to parade my coffin down the street in the obnoxiously white suburb I reside in. It would be well worth the panicked calls to the police so they could shoot them.

5 hours ago, Nae Union said:

Or Chilean miners?

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

And those Chilean(?) miners?

ETA: Should have read the whole thread...

Nobody is suggesting that news stories involving people from places like Thailand or Chile get zero media attention.

But rather they would get comparatively less than an identical story in a rich western country (even a far away one like New Zealand).

By far the most serious terrorist attack of the year was in Peshawar Pakistan killing 85 people in a suicide bombing. How many people have heard of it?

What about the Christchurch shooting from 4 years ago that killed 51 people?

People are clearly not comfortable with these obvious disparities being pointed out which is why it's important to do so. Even if you disagree with it at least you have started thinking about it which is the first step.

There is abundant academic literature on the phenomenon. Only way it will get better is to keep calling it out.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Satoshi certainly managing to make sure all the inappropriate fun is removed from the thread/forum/site/internet anyway. 

Quickly overcame the discussion with 400 atm of boringness

FTFY

6 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Nobody is suggesting that news stories involving people from places like Thailand or Chile get zero media attention.

But rather they would get comparatively less than an identical story in a rich western country (even a far away one like New Zealand).

By far the most serious terrorist attack of the year was in Peshawar Pakistan killing 85 people in a suicide bombing. How many people have heard of it?

What about the Christchurch shooting from 4 years ago that killed 51 people?

People are clearly not comfortable with these obvious disparities being pointed out which is why it's important to do so. Even if you disagree with it at least you have started thinking about it which is the first step.

There is abundant academic literature on the phenomenon. Only way it will get better is to keep calling it out.

2 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

(Quoting TxRover) This picture alone has me considering not being cremated if I could hire these lads to parade my coffin down the street in the obnoxiously white suburb I reside in. It would be well worth the panicked calls to the police so they could shoot them after they shot them.

FTFFY