South teams in South Challenge Cup

Draws made for Rounds 1 & 2 earlier. First 2 rounds are regionalised with all South teams in South West section 

The South Challenge Cup draw for South sides 🏆

⚽️ 1st Round 

🏟️ East Kilbride v Nithsdale Wanderers
🏟️ Craigmark Burntonians v Dalbeattie Star
🏟️ Maybole v Lochar Thistle
🏟️ Lochmaben v Wigtown & Bladnoch
🏟️ Caledonian Braves v St Cuthbert Wanderers

⚽️ 2nd Round

🏟️ Troon v Craigmark or Dalbeattie Star
🏟️ Mid Annandale v Lesmahagow
🏟️ Creetown v Whitletts Victoria
🏟️ Upper Annandale v Newton Stewart 
🏟️ Abbey Vale v Royal Albert
🏟️ Lochmaben or Wigtown & Bladnoch v Forth Wanderers
🏟️ Caledonian Braves or St Cuthbert Wanderers v Girvan or Larkhall
🏟️ East Kilbride or Nithsdale v Maybole or Lochar Thistle

🗓️ Ties to be played on the following:
First round: Saturday 19th August 
Second Round: Saturday 16th September

• 1 month later...

Round 1 begins for South teams Friday with Sanquar's Best travel to meet the EK Galacticos. Not expecting much as EK full of SPFL quality players.

FB_IMG_1691768700746.thumb.jpg.669abc6f85893768801c26eae41bb6f1.jpg

Edited by HorseyGhirl

On 25/06/2023 at 22:32, HorseyGhirl said:

Draws made for Rounds 1 & 2 earlier. First 2 rounds are regionalised with all South teams in South West section 

The South Challenge Cup draw for South sides 🏆

⚽️ 1st Round 

🏟️ East Kilbride v Nithsdale Wanderers
🏟️ Craigmark Burntonians v Dalbeattie Star
🏟️ Maybole v Lochar Thistle
🏟️ Lochmaben v Wigtown & Bladnoch
🏟️ Caledonian Braves v St Cuthbert Wanderers

⚽️ 2nd Round

🏟️ Troon v Craigmark or Dalbeattie Star
🏟️ Lochmaben or Wigtown & Bladnoch v Forth Wanderers
🏟️ Caledonian Braves or St Cuthbert Wanderers v Girvan or Larkhall
🏟️ East Kilbride or Nithsdale v Maybole or Lochar Thistle

🗓️ Ties to be played on the following:
First round: Saturday 19th August 
Second Round: Saturday 16th September

Why are Girvan & Larkhall not in round 1 ?

Full Time Scores

Craigmark 6 - 2 Star

Lochmaben 1 - 2 W&B

Maybole 3 - 2 Lochar (Not confirmed)

Half Time 

Braves 3 - 1 Saints.

Congrats W&B who can look forward to hosting Forth Wanderers in Rd 2.

Poor result for Star at a Tier 8 team.

5 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Full Time Scores

Craigmark 6 - 2 Star

Lochmaben 1 - 2 W&B

Maybole 3 - 2 Lochar (Not confirmed)

Half Time 

Braves 3 - 1 Saints.

Congrats W&B who can look forward to hosting Forth Wanderers in Rd 2.

Poor result for Star at a Tier 8 team.

You keep mentioning tiers, forget about them. The South league is tier 6 in name only, everyone knows that, nobody is kidding themselves on that it means the South is on the same level as West premier.

Last season the South league was competitive, 3 teams still in the hunt for league winners near the end of season which was great. It looks like it will be another competitive season, Dalbeattie should be in the mix as well this year, so alls good.

Forget about tiers and enjoy the South for what it is.👍

Edited by outsider

17 hours ago, outsider said:

You keep mentioning tiers, forget about them. The South league is tier 6 in name only, everyone knows that, nobody is kidding themselves on that it means the South is on the same level as West premier.

Last season the South league was competitive, 3 teams still in the hunt for league winners near the end of season which was great. It looks like it will be another competitive season, Dalbeattie should be in the mix as well this year, so alls good.

Forget about tiers and enjoy the South for what it is.👍

The SOSFL are part of a pyramid system. If the League and clubs do not want to actively participate in it, the option is there for them to withdraw from it.

One of the positives of a joined up system is the opportunity for local clubs to test themselves competitively against clubs from other areas/regions and hopefully improve as a club on the field and off.

I don't believe for a second that clubs in the league are content being the whipping boys of the pyramid and I as a  supporter of the league will call out poor results when I see them.

I personally do not see a future for the SOSFL as a standalone league at Tier 6 within the growing South Region setup. If regionalisation becomes a reality then it will have a place. 

I visit clubs around the region and see first hand clubs that are investing in their infrastructure and becoming more professional on the pitch.

I was at Creetown yesterday; they are getting ready for the biggest day in many a year on Sat 2nd Sept., when they will play their first Scottish Cup game against Whitehill Welfare. That doesn't strike me as a club who are happy to sit at the bottom of the ladder and accept their place. The players and staff are wanting to advance themselves and their club. Other clubs are of the same mind.

Just to finish on a personal note. I am not a detractor of South clubs; if you are ever on the West Forum you will see that I am a lone voice championing the South against all they 'bams' fae Ayrshire and the Central Belt 😉 and their amateur league jibes.

The South Region Challenge Cup

⚽️ 2nd Round Ties

🏟️ Wigtown & Bladnoch v Forth Wanderers

🗓️ Ties to be played on Saturday 16th September

Just now, HorseyGhirl said:

The South Region Challenge Cup

⚽️ 2nd Round Ties

🏟️ Wigtown & Bladnoch v Forth Wanderers

🗓️ Ties to be played on Saturday 16th September

Feel Lesmahagow will have too much firepower for Mids.

Creetown good chance against Whitletts.

Newton Stewart comfortable against Uppers.

Abbey Vale should be comfortable versus Royal Albert.

Forth favourites but hopefully W&B give a good account of themselves.

I'll go for Creetown, Newton Stewart and Abbey Vale into Rd 3.

If W&B continue upward a wee surprise could be on the cards.

If remember correctly Newton Stewart and Lochar Thistle got onto Rd 3 last season.

Here's hoping. 🤞

3 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

The SOSFL are part of a pyramid system. If the League and clubs do not want to actively participate in it, the option is there for them to withdraw from it.

One of the positives of a joined up system is the opportunity for local clubs to test themselves competitively against clubs from other areas/regions and hopefully improve as a club on the field and off.

I don't believe for a second that clubs in the league are content being the whipping boys of the pyramid and I as a  supporter of the league will call out poor results when I see them.

I personally do not see a future for the SOSFL as a standalone league at Tier 6 within the growing South Region setup. If regionalisation becomes a reality then it will have a place. 

I visit clubs around the region and see first hand clubs that are investing in their infrastructure and becoming more professional on the pitch.

I was at Creetown yesterday; they are getting ready for the biggest day in many a year on Sat 2nd Sept., when they will play their first Scottish Cup game against Whitehill Welfare. That doesn't strike me as a club who are happy to sit at the bottom of the ladder and accept their place. The players and staff are wanting to advance themselves and their club. Other clubs are of the same mind.

Just to finish on a personal note. I am not a detractor of South clubs; if you are ever on the West Forum you will see that I am a lone voice championing the South against all they 'bams' fae Ayrshire and the Central Belt 😉 and their amateur league jibes.

Ooft, and breathe.

Feeling better now? 

No comment didn't last long.😉

Enjoy yir fitba, that's all that matters.👍

And aye, you've got the South page moving again, fair play. But it would be boring if nobody replied, naw?

4 minutes ago, outsider said:

Ooft, and breathe.

Feeling better now? 

No comment didn't last long.😉

Enjoy yir fitba, that's all that matters.👍

And aye, you've got the South page moving again, fair play. But it would be boring if nobody replied, naw?

Don't worry my friend I  love football. Spent an enjoyable afternoon at Castle Cary yesterday. Creetown a club on the up for me. Uppers not so much, unfortunately. 

No shame from either Saints or Nithsdale considering their opposition. Lochar game could have went either way. Star should have had too much for Craigmark. Vale's defeat in big Scottish was deflating.

Just want to see the South playing a full and active part in the pyramid.

Scottish Cup week after next. I will be at a game, not decided which as yet. And will be on here fending off they pesky West fans afterwards. 🤺

7 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Feel Lesmahagow will have too much firepower for Mids.

Creetown good chance against Whitletts.

Newton Stewart comfortable against Uppers.

Abbey Vale should be comfortable versus Royal Albert.

Forth favourites but hopefully W&B give a good account of themselves.

I'll go for Creetown, Newton Stewart and Abbey Vale into Rd 3.

If W&B continue upward a wee surprise could be on the cards.

If remember correctly Newton Stewart and Lochar Thistle got onto Rd 3 last season.

Here's hoping. 🤞

NS we’re in Round 4 after beating Cambuslang Rangers in the third round ! Stirling Uni we’re just too strong for us on the day