#Barclays 23/24

Cheese

15 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Has there ever been a worse class of promoted teams in the Barclays?  I watched Luton v Wolves yesterday and any self respecting team would have beaten a fairly dreadful Wolves team who had to play the last hour with 10 men while today Sheffield United (who for some reason consider Wes Foderingham to be a Premier League caliber goalie) got absolutely horsed by a Newcastle team who are supposed to be struggling and Burnley lost to a completely dysfunctional Man United team 

I did see in the summer that people were saying it was the lowest quality top flight based really just on club names/history alone. 

I was watching one of the PL Years shows on Sky (used to love those review shows but they seem to have gradually made them worse through editing) and I think it was maybe 05/06 and that season also had some really really small clubs in it, Wigan/Hull etc

Some real gems from Keysey this week, including a stern rebuke for Vincent Kompany, but this demolition of Jamie Carragher is a fine work of art:

I didn’t agree with Carragher’s midweek assessment that Arsenal would never win the title with Ramsdale in goal. When I saw that my initial reaction was ‘nonsense’, because they were a whisker away from doing so last season. But then I realised that Carragher played in a team that was never going to win the title with him in it, so he probably knows more about the subject than me.

https://richardajkeys.com/index.php/blog/386-what-is-the-right-way-to-play-football-it-s-not-what-burnley-did-v-united

On 26/09/2023 at 02:40, DrewDon said:

Some real gems from Keysey this week, including a stern rebuke for Vincent Kompany, but this demolition of Jamie Carragher is a fine work of art:

https://richardajkeys.com/index.php/blog/386-what-is-the-right-way-to-play-football-it-s-not-what-burnley-did-v-united

Started reading some old blogs.

From 03/02/20 West Ham are a car crash.

Bear in mind this is 3 and a half years ago and Liverpool are romping their way to the title.

Screenshot_20230930_064524_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0d74def6e011f50d5a84e6dc0be8a6c5.jpg

Still baffled by VAR looking at offside for the Brighton goal when it was impossible for the guy to be offside.

I think it might have been John McGinn who overran the by-line. As only the ref can give permission to leave or return to the field of play, McGinn would be deemed to be standing on the by_line so no VAR check was needed (this prevents players stepping off the pitch to try and make someone offside).
I know many commentators (including Lineker) didn’t grasp that fact, but the officials must know it.

13 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Still baffled by VAR looking at offside for the Brighton goal when it was impossible for the guy to be offside.

I think it might have been John McGinn who overran the by-line. As only the ref can give permission to leave or return to the field of play, McGinn would be deemed to be standing on the by_line so no VAR check was needed (this prevents players stepping off the pitch to try and make someone offside).
I know many commentators (including Lineker) didn’t grasp that fact, but the officials must know it.

They were supposedly checking if the attacker’s heel was behind the keeper. In which case it would have been offside.

Of course it was obvious on first glance to anyone with working eyes that he wasn’t beyond the keeper. That didn’t stop them looking at it for at least a couple of minutes though.

27 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

They were supposedly checking if the attacker’s heel was behind the keeper. In which case it would have been offside.

Of course it was obvious on first glance to anyone with working eyes that he wasn’t beyond the keeper. That didn’t stop them looking at it for at least a couple of minutes though.

This is VAR in a nutshell for me. Utter VL shite.