#Barclays 23/24

Cheese

9 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

I was pleased to see Paul Merson taking a more active role in Ford Super Sunday coverage.

Keano, Nev and Carra can generate the clickbait, but as a legacy fan, sometimes I just want to sit back and watch a top pro speaking nothing but incoherent nonsense.

FTFY

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

I think you have more than a slice of recency bias. The idea that the standard is higher now just isn't true. Andy Robertson's basic level of technique isn't great, that's why he wasn't spotted as a top class player at Queens Park, Dundee Utd or Hull. He was always known for quality crosses but that's about it and Liverpool signed him as cover for Moreno. He more than makes up for his limitations through boundless energy and excellent decision making.

As for Van Dijk, excellent as he is, I saw someone recently suggesting he might be the best Dutch player ever. Apart from the obvious, I wouldn't say he's even one of their two best centre halves - Rijkard and Koeman fill those spots. 

Do you really think this is true? That the standard of EPL player of today isn't considerably better than the one of 25 years ago? I think you're dead wrong tbh. 

Its a bit cliche, but sports science, nutrition, and the level of professionalism expected of a footballer today has increased exponentially. The level of finance available to clubs, and the receptiveness of clubs to sign non-uk players has increased the potential player pool, and as a result the skill floor required to be an EPL is also higher. 

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Do you really think this is true? That the standard of EPL player of today isn't considerably better than the one of 25 years ago? I think you're dead wrong tbh. 

Its a bit cliche, but sports science, nutrition, and the level of professionalism expected of a footballer today has increased exponentially. The level of finance available to clubs, and the receptiveness of clubs to sign non-uk players has increased the potential player pool, and as a result the skill floor required to be an EPL is also higher. 

The biggest difference now is the managers they are bringing in. 

6 hours ago, AMMjag said:

I was pleased to see Paul Merson taking a more active role in Ford Super Sunday coverage.

Keano, Nev and Carra can generate the clickbait, but as a legacy fan, sometimes I just want to sit back and watch a top pro speaking nothing but common sense. 

Loved pre match when he was saying because Villa hadn’t won a trophy in 30 years they would rather win the conference league than qualify for the champions league so it would be a walkover for Arsenal.

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

If you are Gareth Southgate, you are surely giving Cold Palmer a first-class seat on the flight to Germany. 

He’d have to get passed Jordan Henderson and Kalvin Phillips first.