Dundee vs. Motherwell Saturday 5th August

55 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Spot on with the line up. IMO.

ETA If Tiffoney injured, could swap him with Mulligan.

Is there talk of Tiffoney being injured? Not keen on Mulligan out wide; was hoping we'd bring in another winger all summer. Big mistake if not - but maybe seeing why with the current 5 3 2/3 5 2.

Mulligan was very good at right back to end last season and needs to play in a four to further solidify his claim as number one RB. Definitely didn't suit the wingback role against better opposition on Sunday however (he's even worse as a winger IMO and prefer him central). The amount of times the ball was played in behind him whilst he was marauding upfield with Ashcroft not able to sweep up due to his pace was scary.

Our limitations at right back and out wide are causing big problems and maybe pushing Docherty to the 5 3 2 solution. Imagine we'd actually got rid of Kerr and brought in a suitably solid premiership player to play rightback/wingback in order to move the club forward. Unfortunately many, including those high up in the club were willing to continue with what we've attacked the Premier League with for our last few horror shows.

On the positive side if we stick to this formation something such as below when fully fit looks like a competitive team at this level. (Ideally French where McGhee is with a Premiership standard wingback). With Boateng sitting deep you'd have to hope creative players such as Cameron, Beck,  McCowan, Robinson and Bakayoko could get us goals.

McCracken

McGhee Shaugnessy Connolly

French                                             Beck

Boateng Cameron

McCowan

Robinson                  Bakayoko

Thank you.

Cameron in a midfield two is a non-starter in this league. It was by miles the weakest aspect of the team last season, and even the addition of Boateng wouldn't make enough of a difference. The laddie just isn't a central midfielder.

Edit - That's aimed at the 4-4-2 shouts.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Can't wait to see what tinpot way we try and get around the fact that the owners don't want to spend to facilitate VAR. I assumed the little scrolling display board underneath the scoreboard would be fixed and used, but when I returned to Dens on Wednesday the display board was still not functioning properly, it still cuts off about 90% of the words being displayed and is unreadable. I know they want out of Dens as quickly as possible, but just the minimum effort is too much to ask for when it comes to the stadium.

2 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Always think of Motherwell as a decent club, especially existing on the outskirts of Glasgow where there's an incredible amount of Old Firm fans. 

That said, been disappointed with their travelling numbers in years gone by. Saturday to start a new season - surely there'll be some sort of atmosphere from the away end.

Same can be said of most away supports these days including Dundee sadly.  It was only a few years ago we won 3-0 at Dens in the Cup and iirc we had twice as many supporters as Dundee.   I was there myself. Stayed over with quite a few Well Fans. I know there was some sort of boycott going on but that would never happen in a Scottish cup tie at Fir Park. 

Onto the game. Would take a point with out lack of options up front. We literally could have no strikers if Obika and Efford are still unfit and Wilko joins them. Sad state of affairs to get into but only ourselves to blame. 

2F2989EE-9B89-4D47-997F-F95A26B08805.jpeg

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Cameron in a midfield two is a non-starter in this league. It was by miles the weakest aspect of the team last season, and even the addition of Boateng wouldn't make enough of a difference. The laddie just isn't a central midfielder.

Edit - That's aimed at the 4-4-2 shouts.

Cameron played the last few months of last season in centre mid within a 4 4 2.. With three at the back and Boateng holding it's a very different role and if you can give me a few examples of where he's played that role and failed i'll take it on board. Boateng is Dochertys choice to be the sitting midfielder, we'll have to see if it's a good call or not throughout the season. He was better than McGhee on Sunday by far. 

Sunday was Boatengs best display so far, patricluarly from the Airdrie game where he was dross. He moved the ball quicker and had more impetus than his previous showings whilst winning alot of balls in the middle of the park. My opinion is Boateng can be a very decent signing. but we all see things differently. The standard Scottish mindset is to want the likes of McGhee, Byrne and Kerr on the field but as was the case when Kamara was here he used to get slaughtered really because he was at a level way above the pish we had playing alongside him. Boateng is clearly technically class but he needs to beable to show understanding of that position come Saturday and beyond. I think he can be one of our most important players this season. 

In a 4 4 2 there's no way Cameron could play in the middle, against anyone, i wouldn't argue with that for a minute and also line ups change depending on the opposition. If playing a 5 3 2 against Celtic away i wouldn't be advocating Cameron and Boateng even within that system. For The Well at home i belive it could work with the right players around them.

Camerons had a few shockers out wide and definitely isn't a winger. If he's not a centre mid and can only play the 10 he'll be spending alot of time on the bench. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Dundee-FC92

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Same can be said of most away supports these days including Dundee sadly.  It was only a few years ago we won 3-0 at Dens in the Cup and iirc we had twice as many supporters as Dundee.   I was there myself. Stayed over with quite a few Well Fans. I know there was some sort of boycott going on but that would never happen in a Scottish cup tie at Fir Park. 

Onto the game. Would take a point with out lack of options up front. We literally could have no strikers if Obika and Efford are still unfit and Wilko joins them. Sad state of affairs to get into but only ourselves to blame. 

2F2989EE-9B89-4D47-997F-F95A26B08805.jpeg

I was at that game, one of about 30 in the Derry. Don't think there was a boycott, think it was just a combo of us performing utter shite in the weeks leading up, about £25 a ticket, free on the BBC and pishing with rain on a Wednesday night.

Just a fuckin' shite night as a Dundee fan, but certainly not the worst.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I was at that game, one of about 30 in the Derry. Don't think there was a boycott, think it was just a combo of us performing utter shite in the weeks leading up, about £25 a ticket, free on the BBC and pishing with rain on a Wednesday night.

That's why the home attendance was shite - we were all there on the Saturday 😜

Just now, steelman1991 said:

That's why the home attendance was shite - we were all there on the Saturday 😜

Ahhh was it a Saturday? I think you're right. I must admit I was very envious of the away end that night. Looked class.

20 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I'd certainly say it was the pits, that or the Dunfermline game after was the nadir of our worst season in over a decade, I remember just sitting in the pub feeling empty. Good times!

Anyway, enough reminding us of miserable games, let's throwback to Motherwell's last visit to Dens.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

13 hours ago, welldaft said:

I know there was some sort of boycott going on but that would never happen in a Scottish cup tie at Fir Park. 

Tbf, Dundee's boycott of the Scottish Cup has continued for over 110 years now, admirable, you have to say.

10 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Tbf, Dundee's boycott of the Scottish Cup has continued for over 110 years now, admirable, you have to say.

I liked you Graeme, however after that low shot, if I see you on Saturday, ehl rap yer pus!

15 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Is there talk of Tiffoney being injured? Not keen on Mulligan out wide; was hoping we'd bring in another winger all summer. Big mistake if not - but maybe seeing why with the current 5 3 2/3 5 2.

Mulligan was very good at right back to end last season and needs to play in a four to further solidify his claim as number one RB. Definitely didn't suit the wingback role against better opposition on Sunday however (he's even worse as a winger IMO and prefer him central). The amount of times the ball was played in behind him whilst he was marauding upfield with Ashcroft not able to sweep up due to his pace was scary.

Our limitations at right back and out wide are causing big problems and maybe pushing Docherty to the 5 3 2 solution. Imagine we'd actually got rid of Kerr and brought in a suitably solid premiership player to play rightback/wingback in order to move the club forward. Unfortunately many, including those high up in the club were willing to continue with what we've attacked the Premier League with for our last few horror shows.

On the positive side if we stick to this formation something such as below when fully fit looks like a competitive team at this level. (Ideally French where McGhee is with a Premiership standard wingback). With Boateng sitting deep you'd have to hope creative players such as Cameron, Beck,  McCowan, Robinson and Bakayoko could get us goals.

McCracken

Boateng Cameron

McCowan

Thank you.

Who's this Thank You guy?

41 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I liked you Graeme, however after that low shot, if I see you on Saturday, ehl rap yer pus!

I'm not sure you can blame be for your poor judge of character, Johnny.

Nonetheless, ruel street, bring yer maw.

18 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Always think of Motherwell as a decent club, especially existing on the outskirts of Glasgow where there's an incredible amount of Old Firm fans. 

That said, been disappointed with their travelling numbers in years gone by. Saturday to start a new season - surely there'll be some sort of atmosphere from the away end.

14 hours ago, johnnydun said:

about £25 a ticket,

Well it's £26 on Saturday. I reckon we're about to see the death of "decent" away number in the next year or so.

I like others have a soft spot for Motherwell, a proper team with tradition and being run in an admirable manner. 
That said if we have any hopes of a half decent season, not shiteing ourselves about relegation, these games at home against teams with a similar budget are the sort we have to get something from. 
Hope we play an attacking line up and get stuck in from the very start. 
Take no prisoners, show no mercy or respect. 

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Non Deluded Dee

Phoenix of The Ashes

Jackson Guarantee

Dundee-FC92 

Take your pick fudpiece.

Thank you.

I think it was because it looked like we had a boy called Thank You up front, m8. 

17 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

McCracken

Boateng Cameron

McCowan

Thank you.