FA Cup 2023/24

Eednud

7 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

The clubs will though, a bit of revenue at the lower end of the scale lost. The Premiership clubs are just bullies after all its a FA competition and nothing to do wi the Premier League. A joke of a decision.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Ending a 152-year tradition so that the billionaire clubs can play 2-4 more Champions League games and go to the World Club Cup in the USA at the end of the season. Very #Barclays.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Absolutely fucked it. Prem League games after the final, nae replays. Yeah we get it. 

What's particularly sad is the FA think these secret negotiations produced a good deal because R5 returns to a weekend plus they get some pennies (in EPL terms); and anyway they "had" to help EPL clubs in Europe as there simply aren't enough dates.

Yet somehow those same EPL clubs have found enough dates to start the season 1 week later than previously, and spread R4 out over a weekend and adjacent midweek. You can also bet that in a few years they'll want to take the weekend part of R4 out and just play it in midweek. Meanwhile the FA Cup Final is no longer the last game of the season - nor even has the weekend to itself; and replays have inexplicably also been abolished in R1 & R2 even though EFL1&2 clubs wouldn't want that.

They've been completely outmanoeuvred by EPL.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Excellent decision to scrap replays, all the lower league fans complaining about it saying that their clubs rely on them to make money, if your business plan relies on the slim chance of a replay against a bigger club then you shouldn’t be in business in the first place. 

15 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Excellent decision to scrap replays, all the lower league fans complaining about it saying that their clubs rely on them to make money, if your business plan relies on the slim chance of a replay against a bigger club then you shouldn’t be in business in the first place. 

I think this will create more cup upsets.

A smaller team who have drawn with a bigger team will have a better chance of winning in extra time or pens than winning a replay.

Win the tie & make more money in the next round.

There'll be a few more bumps in the road like this as fitba finds its new world. Next stop teams in Europe not playing in the League Cup, and then eventually that comp will just get binned.

You simply can't support the current list of competitions while the elite level of the game expands at the rate it is. More European fixtures, the Nations League, summer tours, winter tours, Club World Cup, bigger international tournaments. Eventually something has to go, and that will be dictated by the clubs with money.

There's an echo-chamber at work here as well. A lot of my mates support lower league English sides, and speaking to them you'd think the entire nation was outraged about this. But fans of the bigger clubs and your classic Soccer AM fan types generally don't give a f**k what happens down the pyramid. It's completely removed from their experience of fitba.

I can see the argument both ways. As a paying fan, I'm not delighted at the prospect of paying £30 to see a cup tie then be asked to pay the same again because it was a draw. But the funding issue for clubs down the level is real. The obvious answer to this is genuinely better general distribution of football's money, but this will not happen.

We're reaching the point where different levels of football club just need to go their separate ways and stop this farce of pretending it's all one big system. It isn't, and the pretence does nobody any good.

13 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

There'll be a few more bumps in the road like this as fitba finds its new world. Next stop teams in Europe not playing in the League Cup, and then eventually that comp will just get binned.

You simply can't support the current list of competitions while the elite level of the game expands at the rate it is. More European fixtures, the Nations League, summer tours, winter tours, Club World Cup, bigger international tournaments. Eventually something has to go, and that will be dictated by the clubs with money.

There's an echo-chamber at work here as well. A lot of my mates support lower league English sides, and speaking to them you'd think the entire nation was outraged about this. But fans of the bigger clubs and your classic Soccer AM fan types generally don't give a f**k what happens down the pyramid. It's completely removed from their experience of fitba.

I can see the argument both ways. As a paying fan, I'm not delighted at the prospect of paying £30 to see a cup tie then be asked to pay the same again because it was a draw. But the funding issue for clubs down the level is real. The obvious answer to this is genuinely better general distribution of football's money, but this will not happen.

We're reaching the point where different levels of football club just need to go their separate ways and stop this farce of pretending it's all one big system. It isn't, and the pretence does nobody any good.

I’m not really bothered about the lack of replays, as mentioned above it gives you a far better chance of actually winning and making more money in the next round. 

It is obviously absolutely appalling that it has been put in place without consulting anyone in the lower leagues though. 

There could easily have been some sort of concession made too to give the bigger clubs what they wanted, lower league clubs getting 75% of the gate when drawing a Premiership club for example. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m not really bothered about the lack of replays, as mentioned above it gives you a far better chance of actually winning and making more money in the next round. 

It is obviously absolutely appalling that it has been put in place without consulting anyone in the lower leagues though. 

There could easily have been some sort of concession made too to give the bigger clubs what they wanted, lower league clubs getting 75% of the gate when drawing a Premiership club for example. 

Aye. But the biger clubs know that they don't really need to make meaningful concessions.

What the f**k are Port Vale going to do about it?

Baw is burst.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

Aye. But the biger clubs know that they don't really need to make meaningful concessions.

What the f**k are Port Vale going to do about it?

Baw is burst.

Absolutely - the FA is clearly a waste of time down there too. 

It’s been slowly losing its attraction since football was invented again in the early 90s. 

Growing up in the 70s and 80s the FA Cup final was probably the biggest club match in England and could be argued that winning it was as big if not bigger than winning the league. 

I could probably name the clubs in every final from that era up until the early 90s. Now I would struggle to tell you who played in any of the finals in the last 10 years, though it probably involves Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd. 

Pretty much everyone thinks the FA Cup has lost some of its appeal in recent years, so happy for it to change. Think the removal of replays should lead to more shocks which can only be good. 

Copa del Rey chose to abandon their "tradition" of boring two legged games and the competition has been much more exciting since. Maybe this will make the FA Cup better.

I'd much rather see a lower/non-league team trying to win a game in the dying stages against Man U/Arsenal etc than keeping the ball in the corner to earn a money-spinning replay that they will lose five-nil.

Agreed, remember some great midweek replays in the past, but from a (albeit Scottish) paying punter's perspective, going to a cup tie it's preferable to see it settled that day.

Yeah, and being honest Clyde beating Celtic is by far the best result the club has had in my lifetime but, in hindsight, we'd have been better off deliberately smashing the ball into our own net and taking a replay. I can't support any system that can lead to draws being better results than wins.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Not sure why it's been treated with such shock from the media given it was suggested as far back the creation of the third European competition and almost inevitable with the extended champions league now. I know trickle down economics is bollocks but there should be an increase in solidarity payments though on the back of this.

Edited by gannonball

I don't think anyone has missed them in Scotland albeit it was even worse here due to playing each other 4 times a season already. Surprised at the amount of shock from EFL clubs tbh.

On 19/04/2024 at 13:15, Lurkst said:

Agreed, remember some great midweek replays in the past

This one was tremendous, albeit stressful. We don’t then talk about what happened in the semi-final.

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

This one was tremendous, albeit stressful. We don’t then talk about what happened in the semi-final.

Lee Wilkie on day release from Arkham.