Huw Edwards

Just now, Granny Danger said:

The academic pinnacle of my time at secondary school was getting 100% in my Arithmetic ‘O grade’ prelim. 

It all went downhill from there.  :(

Arithmetic and History were the only 2 subjects I ever got 100% in.  I'd have thought you'd have done well in History as well seeing as there was much less of it in your day.

image.jpeg.54bd02126ce15efcbd3b5afef8f75e20.jpeg

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Arithmetic and History were the only 2 subjects I ever got 100% in.  I'd have thought you'd have done well in History as well seeing as there was much less of it in your day.

image.jpeg.54bd02126ce15efcbd3b5afef8f75e20.jpeg

You will remember what significant event occurred in 1910, has never occurred since, and is unlikely to occur again in the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

You will remember what significant event occurred in 1910, has never occurred since, and is unlikely to occur again in the foreseeable future.

Dundee Hibernian joined the Scottish professional league that year...by which time the number 1 team in the city had already chalked up silverware.  And there began the ongoing game of catch-up that United have played ever since.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The academic pinnacle of my time at secondary school was getting 100% in my Arithmetic ‘O grade’ prelim. 

It all went downhill from there.  :(

The obsession with mental arithmetic at primary school (1966 - 72) was hellish. For whatever reason, stupidity, laziness, numerical dyslexia, whatever, I just couldn't do 'numbers' . The seating for the week in class, thickest at the front, smartarse at the back, was predicated on a Friday morning test which was 95% on sums. I was always in the front row and judged on that. On the rare occasions when the Friday test was based on reading/writing i was in the smartarse back row. I'm about the only person I know who failed O Grade Arithmetic.  A for Higher English but I have no doubt that the constant feeling of being "thick' at primary school because I was rubbish at mental arithmetic affected my confidence for years. 

14 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

A for Higher English but I have no doubt that the constant feeling of being "thick' at primary school because I was rubbish at mental arithmetic affected my confidence for years. 

Same here.

I was playing darts the other day and felt like a right thicko in front of other folk. Just cannot do sums, even though I passed various Engineering Mathematics modules at uni.  

Think I'd struggle to answer a single question on my old Higher* paper, which had a non-calculator paper. I once knew matrices.  Now I couldn't tell you what they're for, never mind how to start with one.

Anyone know how good Huw Edwards is with sums?**

*or whatever they're called this week.

**bound to be lining up a joke...

Edited by Hedgecutter

18 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

The obsession with mental arithmetic at primary school (1966 - 72) was hellish. For whatever reason, stupidity, laziness, numerical dyslexia, whatever, I just couldn't do 'numbers' . The seating for the week in class, thickest at the front, smartarse at the back, was predicated on a Friday morning test which was 95% on sums. I was always in the front row and judged on that. On the rare occasions when the Friday test was based on reading/writing i was in the smartarse back row. I'm about the only person I know who failed O Grade Arithmetic.  A for Higher English but I have no doubt that the constant feeling of being "thick' at primary school because I was rubbish at mental arithmetic affected my confidence for years. 

5 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Same here.

I was playing darts the other day and felt like a right thicko in front of other folk. Just cannot do sums, even though I passed various Engineering Mathematics modules at uni.  

Think I'd struggle to answer a single question on my old Higher* paper, which had a non-calculator paper. I once knew matrices.  Now I couldn't tell you what they're for, never mind how to start with one.

I feel your pain, both of you.

Maybe that doesn’t count for anything but you’ll never know.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Dundee Hibernian joined the Scottish professional league that year...by which time the number 1 team in the city had already chalked up silverware.  And there began the ongoing game of catch-up that United have played ever since.

I’m happy to concede that in 1910 you were the number 1 team in the city.  What year do you reckon we overtook you?

38 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

He doesn't know what numbers are under 16, so no. Useless. 

The stupidity of the word Wednesday is really annoying me now, you can't just put the 'd' before the 'n' but pronounce it the other way around. f**koff Oxford or Collins I've had it with this shit show. 

Edited by thistledo