Aliens and stuff

StellarHibee

8 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Dunno. For every 'there's nothing in the Bible about extra-terrestrials" you'd get a 'nothing in the Bible says they aren't there'.

In Biblical times I doubt if most folk had any idea what the stars they saw were, let alone about the existence of other planets. As I recall the first non-Earth planet discovered was Uranus, only a couple of centuries ago.

MV5BOWFkMmY2NjYtYjdkMS00NjJkLThkYjctMmRi

Explain that then.

17 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Dunno. For every 'there's nothing in the Bible about extra-terrestrials" you'd get a 'nothing in the Bible says they aren't there'.

In Biblical times I doubt if most folk had any idea what the stars they saw were, let alone about the existence of other planets. As I recall the first non-Earth planet discovered was Uranus, only a couple of centuries ago.

Funnily enough, that's one of the things Hancock talks about in 'Fingerprints', this notion that even as recently as 2000 years ago humans were totally ignorant of the nature of the heavens, that they assumed the Earth was flat, etc

Can't remember precisely how, but he makes a pretty convincing case that the Mayans only had such an accurate calendar because they had a full understanding of the fact that our sun is a star like all the other in the sky, other stars also have planets, the planets orbit the stars, and most planets, including our own, are spheres. IIRC there's some evidence that suggests Mayans deduced the existence of other planets, even though they couldn't see them, beyond the ones that are sometimes visible to the naked eye.

Edited by Boo Khaki

25 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

No, they just claim God created the entire universe, including everything in it, aliens and all.

And when the aliens proceed to laugh at them in their non-biblical tone, there will be yet another war in the name of god.

Edited by StellarHibee

6 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

MV5BOWFkMmY2NjYtYjdkMS00NjJkLThkYjctMmRi

Explain that then.

I've yet to reach a conclusion on that ... anyway, as God's creatures, the aliens would surely be speaking English so I'm leaning towards "fake".

Of more concern to me is how Brian managed all the Latin Graffiti without substantial scaffolding.  Another miracle no doubt.

25 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Nope, most/all theologies talk about the uniqueness of ‘man’ made in god’s image.  That shit would be debunked.

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure the god botherers would tie themselves in knots trying to square the circle but they’d have a hard time.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Nope, most/all theologies talk about the uniqueness of ‘man’ made in god’s image.  That shit would be debunked.

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure the god botherers would tie themselves in knots trying to square the circle but they’d have a hard time.

You're discounting the possility that the ETs are the subject of the theology, like in Childhood's End or Thor. 

I'd love to see the archbishop of Canterbury and the Pope explain Rama, Vishnu and Elephant Heid arriving in a flying saucer. 

I've always hoped that if 'God' does exist, and does ever decide to reveal 'himself' to Christians, that 'he' does indeed look just like W.G. Grace and is every bit as cantankerous and contemptuous as the Monty Python version.

It's pretty much the default picture of 'God' I've been carrying around in my head for decades, so it's going to me a massive disappointment if he looks like Morgan Freeman or something (yeah, yeah, reported for racism etc)

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You've got a good point there. It would be fun to watch.

Maybe that's why the Americans have covered up (if they have) the UFO stuff. The high heid yins are scared about what chaos and anarchy the country would fall into if their beliefs suddenly became less believable.  They'd probably turn to the works of L Ron Hubbard.

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

They most definitely knew about planets.  It is the reason we have seven days in a week.

Moon Day/Mars Day/Mercury Day/Jupiter Day/Venus Day/Saturn Day/Sun Day.

(Other language like French make it a bit more obvious).

Having said that, they probably did not know that most were satellites of the Sun - just like Earth.

The word planet means "Wandering Star" but they had no idea why they wandered or why they were brighter than most stars.

Some people thought they were concious beings that were somehow watching over us.  That is how astrology got started.

"Oh look, that is Jupiter and it is Winter.  Obviously Jupiter disapproves of us in some way.  Oh look, it is Saturn over there and it is now Summer.  Obviously Saturn likes us more than Jupiter does.  Not sure why."