Aliens and stuff

StellarHibee

4 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Dunno. For every 'there's nothing in the Bible about extra-terrestrials" you'd get a 'nothing in the Bible says they aren't there'.

In Biblical times I doubt if most folk had any idea what the stars they saw were, let alone about the existence of other planets. As I recall the first non-Earth planet discovered was Uranus, only a couple of centuries ago.

Just remember the Vatican has an observatory run by priests…

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

No, they just claim God created the entire universe, including everything in it, aliens and all.

Been there, been round in circles with people who wilfully refuse to practise critical thinking.

I honestly don't think that the theory of us being here as a product of some sort of intelligent design can be totally discredited.

Do I think that the Universe and everything in it was designed by some all-seeing, all-knowing benevolent higher power who created us in his image? f**k no, don't be soft.

Do I believe that there is a chance that the Universe is here as a result of something unimaginably larger than us that happened either by design or as a byproduct and we are absolute microspecs that are too insignificant to ever understand the concept of what is out there? Probably not, but I wouldn't totally discard it as a theory, unlike the omnipresent sky fairy theory.

Do I believe that there are other life forms out there? 100%, there has to be. Anyone with more than a passing understanding of just how vast the universe is, the number of Galaxies, Stars, Habitable starts, planets in the life-supporting zone, would agree that life is very unlikely to be unique to Earth, nor is it all that likely to be particularly rare either.

Whether any form of that life has made contact with us though or is even advanced enough to do so is a completely different question. To me, that's a 'no' unless they have put us here in the first place and are coming back to monitor the situation (which would be come craic for them I'm sure). If they've just happened upon us though, then by default, they are far more advanced than we could ever imagine and we'd prove no threat to them, so they would be at no risk to let us know of their existence and in fact by doing so, we'd probably be fucked as they could just take the planet at will.

9 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

No, they just claim God created the entire universe, including everything in it, aliens and all.

Been there, been round in circles with people who wilfully refuse to practise critical thinking.

Given how unimaginably huge the universe is, if God did indeed create it all, I now understand why all these "thoughts and prayers" don't solve the gun problems in the US. He must just be too busy elsewhere to deal with them.

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

Given how unimaginably huge the universe is, if God did indeed create it all, I now understand why all these "thoughts and prayers" don't solve the gun problems in the US. He must just be too busy elsewhere to deal with them.

If "He" is everywhere, and omnipotent (i.e. all powerful, he surely can't be too busy elsewhere. Even sitting watching an inhabited planet fall into a black hole shouldn't stop him answering a lottery related prayer, or a mad shooter in Texas.

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

Perhaps guns, thieves, perverts and murderers are the good guys and we've got it wrong? Imagine spending the rest of eternity in hell because we got our moral code the wrong way around, like the food pyramid.

11 hours ago, TxRover said:

Just remember the Vatican has an observatory run by priests…

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Observing celestial celibate bodies?

https://www.kgun9.com/absolutely-az/why-the-popes-telescope-is-in-southern-arizona#:~:text="Show to the world that,how the Church supports science.

Tend to think that if there was an alien race advanced enough to master intergalactic travel, they'd take one look at the nick of the people in charge on this planet and either stay well clear or turn the planet into dust.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

Maybe the folk at the observatory should keep an eye out for ET rampaging towards Earth to obtain some of these -

"A seal matrix used to authenticate medieval indulgences and offer a fast track to heaven in exchange for cash is to go on display at a Hampshire priory after spending 500 years buried in a field.

The small carved mould, dating between 1470 and 1520.............

Indulgences were written pardons for sinful behaviour granted by religious institutions in return for financial donation"

From. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/28/rare-stamp-that-offered-fast-track-to-heaven-to-go-on-display-in-uk

"fast track to heaven in exchange for cash"... sounds like the inspiration for Tories getting into the House of Lords.

On 27/07/2023 at 14:34, Bob in Denny said:

Aye okay...

the burning question is what team do they really support?

Dalekeith Thistle

Cybermanchester City

Vulcannan Athletic

UFOrfar Athletic

Close Encounters of the Third Lanark kind

3 hours ago, Bob in Denny said:

Cheers..

living in the so-called Bonnybridge Triangle..

I gotta be prepared..

I went to Duncan Stewart Memorial Park a couple of times when Bonnybridge Juniors were on the go. The midges will sort out any aliens. 

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Dalekeith Thistle

Cybermanchester City

Vulcannan Athletic

UFOrfar Athletic

Close Encounters of the Third Lanark kind

TommyKnockentibers AFC. They lost last night and they drew the night before....

1 hour ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

The Kalam Cosmological Argument is a powerful one.

Having watched several debates between Christian and atheist philosophers on the subject over the years, I absolutely believe that a personal, omnipotent God is the most likely explanation of the creation of the Universe.

People have this outdated idea that a personal omnipotent God has to be an old man with a beard. But it turns out that guy only did the fjords. 

At some point I expect something we have sent out into space will encounter life. They may wonder about our intelligence that we can send something out there to them. By the time it happens we will have destroyed life on earth.

6 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

At some point I expect something we have sent out into space will encounter life. They may wonder about our intelligence that we can send something out there to them. By the time it happens we will have destroyed life on earth.

the thing is “Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.” or at least that's according to a Guide I had. Voyager 2 is on the way to a star but I think it's going to take a million years to get there. 

Unless of course some Klingon bugger shoots the thing first..