Todays scores 29/7

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Been reading elsewhere and there were quite a few teams in the WOSFL with players missing due to still on holiday or suspensions.

Were both Pollok and Auchinleck at full strength for the game or still had players who considered to be in the starting 11, still missing?
I suppose even the managers of most teams might still be trying to figure out the best team in defense, midfield and forwards etc... but the best placed at the moment to answer are Pollok and Talbot supporters

Fraser was missing through suspension, that’s RB position so could have started but certainly would have came on after the injury 

Jordan Allan LB suspended, Burns the back up unavailable (wedding I think)

Which is why we had 45 mins with no full backs playing  

Then it’s hard to tell as I don’t think anyone could say Polloks best XI to know if the others not playing missed out due to selection or injury / suspensions. I would say from pre season we ended with our stronger forward line rather than the one we started with. 

Stephen Docherty is also carrying an injury and possibly would have been on bench 

18 minutes ago, Pollok mad said:

Mullen and Jordan Allen were both suspended, not sure about Burns but he was unavailable as so that meant we had to play a right footed centre half at LB, and only had one right back who came off injured, though Barr I think did play RB for East Stirling for a bit so he isn't completely new to it. Think Docherty was deemed as not fit enough yet, and Gallacher was limited to coming off the bench because he missed most of pre-season

Burns at wedding I think and Doco has a reoccurring injury that he can’t shake off and not sure what is causing it. Goes through stages it’s ok then pulls up again I believe. 

10 hours ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

It would have been good to find out a bit more of the game itself and how the new crop of players on both sides looked! 

My uneducated take:

Was taken aback by how poor Pollok were defensively in the early going. Wasn't too sure about the decision to break up the centre half pairing of Gow and Forrester who had both looked good in pre-season(from the games I had seen) but I suppose it was a case of needs must given what has been said about the availability of players to play full back. Thought Rumsby in particular struggled initially but as a whole, there was a clear improvement from about the half hour mark with not a lot of clear cut chances given away thereafter. Penalty miss and the virtually open goal missed not long after were huge let offs.  

Felt Talbot defended well throughout until the game became a bit stretched after the goal. Certainly should have been ahead early on and will feel hard done by not to have taken at least a point, though I didn't feel there was much between the teams after the initial period. 

For Pollok, I like the look of Ben Fry in goals. Looks to be a great shot stopper. Bit of depth throughout the squad and a lot of promise in some of the new signings. Was surprised not to see Anderson start the game and it probably speaks volumes that Duff seems to have dropped down the pecking order despite being(from what I seen) one of the big players last season. A busy month ahead will be a barometer of how the team looks but an opening day win against a historically strong side is a good start 

9 minutes ago, Dean Learner said:

My uneducated take:

Was taken aback by how poor Pollok were defensively in the early going. Wasn't too sure about the decision to break up the centre half pairing of Gow and Forrester who had both looked good in pre-season(from the games I had seen) but I suppose it was a case of needs must given what has been said about the availability of players to play full back. Thought Rumsby in particular struggled initially but as a whole, there was a clear improvement from about the half hour mark with not a lot of clear cut chances given away thereafter. Penalty miss and the virtually open goal missed not long after were huge let offs.  

Felt Talbot defended well throughout until the game became a bit stretched after the goal. Certainly should have been ahead early on and will feel hard done by not to have taken at least a point, though I didn't feel there was much between the teams after the initial period. 

For Pollok, I like the look of Ben Fry in goals. Looks to be a great shot stopper. Bit of depth throughout the squad and a lot of promise in some of the new signings. Was surprised not to see Anderson start the game and it probably speaks volumes that Duff seems to have dropped down the pecking order despite being(from what I seen) one of the big players last season. A busy month ahead will be a barometer of how the team looks but an opening day win against a historically strong side is a good start 

Agree with all of that except your take on the Pollok keeper. I thought he looked very nervy and indecisive. I was desperate to see Talbot pressure him more. Also quite short.

5 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Agree with all of that except your take on the Pollok keeper. I thought he looked very nervy and indecisive. I was desperate to see Talbot pressure him more. Also quite short.

Didn't command his box too well at the weekend there but he's looked very good in pre-season and was playing behind an unfamiliar back four so happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.