Who's going doon?

simon cowell facepalm GIF

A tough read 

It is clear why people think we will go down - because we were poor last season and finished 8th, the other two teams that finished below us are now in the league below us. The team that finished closest to us have made some great signings and now look like they may challenge for the title, all of this is not a personal dig at the club you support or you as an individual. 😂

The nature of the thread means people have to pick somebody too, it is literally called ‘who’s going doon’ so if you cannot take people saying the club you support it would be best just to stay off 

If I had to pick anyone else other than Airdrie right now I’d be struggling too and I am only picking them because they’ve just come up

They might end up being brilliant, we might end up being good too - but nobody knows so right now the smart money, based on all of the above would be on us or Airdrie.

This may change even just 3/4 weeks into the season and that is how football goes 

Ffs

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Just now, Stellaboz said:

I still can't get over our new founded friendship with Airdrie. 

I curse 90s Airdrie every time I get, so it's really strange to see this play out. Maybe we could get a loan or two from you lads?

The Falkirk effect mate, the enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that jazz.

6 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Arbroath, solely because of the "how many times did you beat us?" comments as if that means anything when it comes to this topic.

I see Dunfermline have got it in this thread, as well.

Since yer here, thanks for last season, we, were by a mile the worst team in the league, kinda felt sorry for Hamilton and Cove, just canna believe they were more atrocious than us

Edited by ecto

22 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A tough read 

It is clear why people think we will go down - because we were poor last season and finished 8th, the other two teams that finished below us are now in the league below us. The team that finished closest to us have made some great signings and now look like they may challenge for the title, all of this is not a personal dig at the club you support or you as an individual. 😂

The nature of the thread means people have to pick somebody too, it is literally called ‘who’s going doon’ so if you cannot take people saying the club you support it would be best just to stay off 

If I had to pick anyone else other than Airdrie right now I’d be struggling too and I am only picking them because they’ve just come up

They might end up being brilliant, we might end up being good too - but nobody knows so right now the smart money, based on all of the above would be on us or Airdrie.

This may change even just 3/4 weeks into the season and that is how football goes 

Ffs

As always a fine measured, thoughtful post, unfortunately it will have no place in the slavering shitfest, this thread will ultimately become

10 hours ago, clashcityrocker said:

Can you kindly remind me how many times Arbroath beat Dunfermline last time you were in The Championship.

Can you kindly remind me of the scoreline the last time Arbroath played Dunfermline?

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Can you kindly remind me of the scoreline the last time Arbroath played Dunfermline?

To be fair that helped us in the long run - so thank you for that. All the dross that got their chance starting that night were shipped off in January. 

27 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A tough read 

Ffs

Exactly.

It’s all just a bit of fun and I can’t believe anyone is getting upset about predictions.

All that anyone can use to make predictions at this stage is how last season went, pre season and league cup results, and current squads - who left and new signings etc.

Last season we were dug shite. Have had a poor pre-season and terrible cup. Our signings have looked ok (to us) but to on lookers, we’ve signed a bunch of guys untested at this level… and Leighton McIntosh.

Hylton played for Motherwell and Ross county in the past I suppose.

No one is going to look at all those factors and the competition and think “oh aye, Arbroath look very strong this season”.

Of course we’re predicted to end up 9th or 10th and that’s exactly where I would predict us to finish. Yes, ourselves or Airdrie could (and one of us probably will) end up doing reasonably well but based on the information available then where else would anyone realistically place both of us just now?

1 minute ago, Central Belt Caley said:

At least some Arbroath fans have a bit of sense and aren’t absolutely furious that randoms on the internet think their team will get relegated

The same ones were furiously demanding everyone tell them how brilliant they were two seasons ago as well. 

Right now I can’t help but shake the feeling that we will be marooned at the bottom, but that is mainly because last season is still in the back of my mind which in reality should be irrelevant as we have made 9 new signings and will be a different team. 

Up until last year though I always felt like we were a solid side who would be no pushovers for anybody, the first 6 months of last season we were the exact opposite. We made changes in January and got back to being a somewhat robust team who had good defensive players and were a good unit but still lacked going forward. 

Now on paper we look like we’ve got some very good players in attacking areas. Jay Bird looks like the best striker we’ve had since being in this league (minus Nouble and possibly Jack Hamilton) and Hylton and Stowe have added some real pace out wide.

The core of the team that was solid is still here too. We have a really tough start so if things don’t go well that could start the feel bad factor all over again.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed and trying to see the positives but it’ll take a wee bit of time and some good results and performances before I’m back to having any real confidence in us. 

49 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

The same ones were furiously demanding everyone tell them how brilliant they were two seasons ago as well. 

Truly some of the neediest posters on the forum.

I think Dundee United are the only team you can confidently say have no chance of ending up in the bottom two. There are credible reasons to doubt all of the other nine. Airdrie and Arbroath are the obvious candidates as the squads stand now with Airdrie not having strengthened much and Arbroath having taken a lot of gambles again, but the other seven are all much of a muchness and there's reasons to doubt them all.

Morton's lack of depth, Ayr and ICT's streakiness and losing big players, Partick losing the core of their team and possibly having a hangover from last season (although it looks like they've recruited well), Dunfermline not having strengthened either albeit with a better squad than Airdrie as a starting point, Queen's Park having a totally unproven manager who could turn out to be a genius appointment or be a Cathro figure, Raith having the same manager who was mediocre last season. I could honestly see any of them top and any of them bottom, there are credible reasons to believe any might click or collapse.

Edited by Dunning1874

Dunfermline's squad doesn't look like it'll be hassling anyone near the top end of the table. A lot of the same players that got them relegated last time around and are the new recruits much of an upgrade on their predecessors? On paper, not for me.

I rate McPake and think he'll probably have them clear of danger but not by any great margin. As with everyone, it could really depend on what business they do before the end of the window.

2 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Dunfermline's squad doesn't look like it'll be hassling anyone near the top end of the table. A lot of the same players that got them relegated last time around and are the new recruits much of an upgrade on their predecessors? On paper, not for me.

I rate McPake and think he'll probably have them clear of danger but not by any great margin. As with everyone, it could really depend on what business they do before the end of the window.

Fair.

13 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Nah it’s okay Wotherspoon will win them the league 😂

How do we define "the worst championship"? Last season the quality was, on the whole, extremely poor. But it made for exciting, close matches. A boring season is one where one team runs away with it (other than for fans of that team) and/or someone stinks the place out and is cut adrift at the foot. A competitive league, irrespective of quality is usually the most interesting? Like last season, bar cove latterly you got the impression that anyone could beat anyone and it made it exciting.