North Sea Oil

git-intae-thum

7 hours ago, RuMoore said:

After their narrow by-election win where ulez was a big factor the Tories are really going full throttle anti Green agenda right now. 

I think they've misjudged this strategy, sure Big Brexit Barry will be happy to stick a finger up at the woke climate change lot but climate change is increasingly a topic which the electorate care about more and more and even the ones who don't care or think it's a load of shite don't seem to get as wound up or incensed like other topics that get them frothing at the mouth like trans issues or refugees.

Climate change trans refugees would get them totally apoplectic

11 hours ago, RuMoore said:

After their narrow by-election win where ulez was a big factor the Tories are really going full throttle anti Green agenda right now. 

I think they've misjudged this strategy, sure Big Brexit Barry will be happy to stick a finger up at the woke climate change lot but climate change is increasingly a topic which the electorate care about more and more and even the ones who don't care or think it's a load of shite don't seem to get as wound up or incensed like other topics that get them frothing at the mouth like trans issues or refugees.

Agree, ULEZ is about paying to drive a slightly shitey car into London, but SUNAK's stuck it in the same basket as traffic calming measures designed to stop car drivers going at 60 past your front door and mowing your kids down, it's not the same thing

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's really quite simple, Tory electoral self-preservation trumps considerations on the preservation of the human race.  

It's even simpler than that; short term greed trumps everything else.

10 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

The top image is of the city of London, taken from Greenwich, in 1980.

The second from the same spot in 2020.

The changes coinciding with "Scotlands" oil boom funnily enough.

FVfx47yVEAAhUep.thumb.jpeg.79985cebb17e3d5a51cca155a8593429.jpeg

I have similar feelings 

The hypothetical Olaf Hagerthehorribleson of Oslo is born in the same year as me. His country has a trillion dollar sovereign wealth fund after 50 years of North Sea oil extraction. Olaf's country is expensive by our standards to live in but Olaf's wage is high enough for this not to matter. Norway may be cold in the winter but Olaf's house is well insulated. Norway is often cited as one of the happiest countries in the world. 

Meanwhile in the UK after 50 years of oil revenue I have to work until I'm 67 to get a pension which will hardly be generous, the housing stock is on the whole badly insulated, transport is lousy, there is a huge gap between the mega rich and most of the population and we can't win the Eurovision Song Contest unlike Norway 

• 2 months later...
On 01/08/2023 at 23:43, tamthebam said:

I have similar feelings 

The hypothetical Olaf Hagerthehorribleson of Oslo is born in the same year as me. His country has a trillion dollar sovereign wealth fund after 50 years of North Sea oil extraction. Olaf's country is expensive by our standards to live in but Olaf's wage is high enough for this not to matter. Norway may be cold in the winter but Olaf's house is well insulated. Norway is often cited as one of the happiest countries in the world. 

Meanwhile in the UK after 50 years of oil revenue I have to work until I'm 67 to get a pension which will hardly be generous, the housing stock is on the whole badly insulated, transport is lousy, there is a huge gap between the mega rich and most of the population and we can't win the Eurovision Song Contest unlike Norway 

Could not have put it better.

On 01/08/2023 at 23:43, tamthebam said:

I have similar feelings 

When it’s expressed it in those terms you realise just how dire and desperate it is.

I can’t remember the last time we even came second in Eurovision.

21 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

When it’s expressed it in those terms you realise just how dire and desperate it is.

I can’t remember the last time we even came second in Eurovision.

the Spaceman chap came second last year. Probably would have won but for the Ukraine sympathy vote. 

To clarify, Ian Wood is not an Oil Tycoon as mentioned in the opening article, he is the head of a Service Company who has made millions in providing services to the Majors and Drilling Contractors, servicing fire extinguishers and maintaining fire prevention systems which is just one of the many areas his company is involved in, for a local boy starting out with a few trawlers, he took over from his father, he has done very well.

He is not near the centre of the oil business and has less revenue than Haliburton and Schlumberger who are similar service companies.

The papers quote him because they will never gain insightful and frank interviews from the Top Dogs running the Majors.

In fact without googling not one of us could name any of them.

These guys run countries, right now Guyana is a prime example.

Edited by SandyCromarty

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/10/2023 at 17:08, SandyCromarty said:

To clarify, Ian Wood is not an Oil Tycoon as mentioned in the opening article, he is the head of a Service Company who has made millions in providing services to the Majors and Drilling Contractors, servicing fire extinguishers and maintaining fire prevention systems which is just one of the many areas his company is involved in, for a local boy starting out with a few trawlers, he took over from his father, he has done very well.

He is not near the centre of the oil business and has less revenue than Haliburton and Schlumberger who are similar service companies.

The papers quote him because they will never gain insightful and frank interviews from the Top Dogs running the Majors.

In fact without googling not one of us could name any of them.

These guys run countries, right now Guyana is a prime example.

BP used to be run by a Looney until recently.

Bernard Looney. Only reason that he sticks in my memory though. Some Dutch guy is CEO at Shell. Van Der Somethingorother.

And given tat I've worked in oil and gas for almost 40 years I should really know more. (I worked for one of Ian Wood's companies. He's a c**t. The company I worked for went rapidly downhill after it got bought by Wood Group (as it was called at the time)